Sources for Plaques/Trophies

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
subnet99
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sources for Plaques/Trophies

Post by subnet99 »

I am looking for suggestions for vendors that supply Pinewood Derby plaques and trophies. I know that I can just go to my local shop and/or Google but, thought their might be some online vendors that come highly recommended.
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Sources for Plaques/Trophies

Post by ah8tk »

For the custom trophies I am currently working on I used TrophyKits. You can design a custom trophy and order the parts or they can provide complete trophies (broken down, for shipping). That you, or the scouts, can assemble. They have great customer service.

Buckeyefan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Buckeyefan »

Subnet99,
Our Pack has used Riherd's (https://www.riherds.com/pinewood" target="_blank) for years for our Pinewood Derby trophies. They have a great selection of PWD trophies and their service has been excellent. The only drawdack is price. They are not the most inexpensive trophies out there, but the service and selection makes up for it. If you are looking for the most for your money, then try AAA Wholesale trophies (http://www.aaatrophies.com/derby.php" target="_blank). I have not personally used them, but one of the scout moms uses them frequently for baseball trophies and says their service is good and their prices can't be beat. Hope this helps.
Buckeyefan
subnet99
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by subnet99 »

Thanks for the info guys and ah8tk your custom trophy looks awesome! Anyone else have any other recommended vendors?
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by AlabamaDan »

I'm interested in this too.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

I too have used riherds for the last two years. Been quite happy with the product and customer service.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

We used TrophyKits this year (traditional trophies, not custom like above). My son liked doing the assembly.

I have also used Crown Awards and TrophyDepot (usually free shipping) for PWD and SBD. Is it RedRiver that has the Cub Scout specific columns? We almost went with those, instead this year doing solid Orange for Tigers, Yellow for Wolf, etc.

Crown has some good selection on more unique awards and styles and has very fast shipping. But for traditional trophies their PWD car figure is kinda odd. I think it looks like a ballerina slipper from afar, but maybe that is just me.

Don't forget medals. Our kids love medals.

Consider having an extra medal/plaque on hand. This could be used in case a trophy gets lost/broken (you might still replace the trophy, but the kids gets something "in hand" that day). If you have an unusual tie and decide to award both racers. Or to hand out impromtu to someone showing good sportsmanship, etc.

I think it is Crown that also has some pretty cheap lapel "pins" for PWD.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Sources for Plaques/Trophies UPDATED WITH PICS

Post by pack529holycross »

We had been using a local vendor, but when I realizes I could get the same resin car trophy for 7 dollars online at trophydepot.com that my local vendor charged 12.99, I tried them out.

Free shipping, and I was able to award first through fifth for tigers,wolves,bears,combined webelos.... first throughfifth pack finalists and 10 smalll resins for design awards for around 260.

We spent so much less and got so much more. Prompt delivery with well packed box. No broken items or incorrect plaques. I am completely satisfied with my first experience with them. Ill post a picture.
Last edited by pack529holycross on Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by AlabamaDan »

I kinda like the idea of specific colors for ranks. What do you use:

TIGERS: Orange
WOLVES: Wolves
BEARS: Blue
WEBELOS: Red?
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by AlabamaDan »

pack529holycross wrote:We had been using a local vendor, but when I realizes I could get the same resin car trophy for 7 dollars online at trophydepot.com that my local vendor charged 12.99, I tried them out.

Free shipping, and I was able to award first through fifth for tigers,wolves,bears,combined webelos.... first throughfifth pack finalists and 10 smalll resins for design awards for around 260.

We spent so much less and got so much more. Prompt delivery with well packed box. No broken items or incorrect plaques. I am completely satisfied with my first experience with them. Ill post a picture.

:scratching: You award 1st-5th place. that almost doubles the number of people getting an award. :eager: I'll have to look into that. We've historically only award 1st-3rd.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

AlabamaDan wrote:I kinda like the idea of specific colors for ranks. What do you use:

TIGERS: Orange
WOLVES: Wolves
BEARS: Blue
WEBELOS: Red?
Orange, Gold, Blue, Green

Green or Red would work, "plaid" is not a common trophy column choice :)

It is odd though, this year - TrophyKits was the only one I could find an Orange alternative.
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by AlabamaDan »

I ended up ordering from Crown again. We've used the local store for years. They had columns with checkered flags. I'll take a few pics. BTW, Crown had orange, blue and red. They didn't really have a yellow, it was more of a gold.

I liked the flames and almost went with those.
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

We use Trophy Outlet.

Great prices and even greater customer service.

We'll be ordering from them again this year too.
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BallBoy »

I typically build my own trophies. I ask a nearby mechanic if I can rummage through his used parts bin. I pick out sprockets, pistons and anything else that looks neat. After giving them a kerosene bath to remove the grease I spray paint the parts gold. Once the paint is dry I bolt the part to an 8-10" wide piece of 2x6 that has a 45 degree bevel cut on the front. With this approach I usually spend around $3 per trophy. Since I'm cheap I'll have my wife hand write the words on the front, but you could have a plate engraved at a trophy shop for around $0.10 per letter.

I have searched around and can't find any pictures of trophies I've made. If I can find any I'll post them. The boys usually like the pistons the best (particularly since the release of Disney's Cars), but my favorite trophywas an entire chainsaw motor, complete with the spark plug on top.
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BallBoy »

I found a picture of the trophies I mentioned in the previous post. Unfortunately the only picture I could find is really grainy, but you can at least get the idea of what they look like.