No workshops or test & tune!

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
TimInOhio
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

No workshops or test & tune!

Post by TimInOhio »

This is my son's first year in Cub Scouts, and from what I've been reading here, I was sort of expecting a workshop and/or a test & tune event - but our pack has neither. I am in the process of completing the training and BSA application to at least help with his den (and probably more as he gets older), so how might I go about correcting these oversights for next year? Thanks!

TimInOhio
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: No workshops or test & tune!

Post by pack529holycross »

As a new leader, the best thing you can do for this years event is do your best for the actual race... as the race progresses, make note of the cars that come in the top places. Should there be several that do really really well, you will want to consider approaching those dads and scouts for assistance with your car in preparation for your District or Council Races, if you have those level of events in your area. If you do, but you encounter no assistance, you can go to the Derby Chairman and ask for assistance. Either way, you will want to inquire at the next leaders meeting about ways to improve on what already was a good event for next year. During that meeting you can suggest workshops by the "experienced" dads for the benefit of all scouts to improve their PWD skills.
TimInOhio
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TimInOhio »

pack529holycross wrote:As a new leader, the best thing you can do for this years event is do your best for the actual race... as the race progresses, make note of the cars that come in the top places. Should there be several that do really really well, you will want to consider approaching those dads and scouts for assistance with your car in preparation for your District or Council Races, if you have those level of events in your area. If you do, but you encounter no assistance, you can go to the Derby Chairman and ask for assistance. Either way, you will want to inquire at the next leaders meeting about ways to improve on what already was a good event for next year. During that meeting you can suggest workshops by the "experienced" dads for the benefit of all scouts to improve their PWD skills.
Thanks for the input, pack529holycross. And, congrats on your 500th post!

Tim
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

TimInOhio wrote:This is my son's first year in Cub Scouts, and from what I've been reading here, I was sort of expecting a workshop and/or a test & tune event - but our pack has neither.
I suspect that those who are active on DT may represent the exception, rather than the rule. :)

I have never been involved with a unit that offered a "test and tune night." I believe the main reason is that it is a big hassle to set up and tear down a track more than once, and the unit lacked the secure space to keep an assembled track between the test & tune event and the actual derby. (There may also be a question of whether it is "fair" if some parents cannot make the "test and tune night" if they have schedule conflict.) Some units do not have their own track, but may rent a track for the day of the Derby only. So depending on local circumstances, one may experience resistance toward having a test & tune event for logistical or "fairness" reasons, depending on the local circumstances.

We have participated in units with Pack-wide construction workshops, and we have also participated in units where such help is only offered at the den level, depending on the den leader. If you experience resistance toward having a Pack-wide construction workshop, I like your idea of doing something with your own den. If your den does well after such a session, other parents may be receptive to the idea of a Pack-wide workshop.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

These guys got it right, of course.
Get Involved! Ask for help, offer help.

This year I opened my workshop to three packs, and they mostly listened to my input on PWD organization, rules etc...

We're having some time to test & tune just prior to registration. Every car out there is a prototype or experiment. You want to fix the 'Safe Drivers' BEFORE the race.

Last year, one 'Safe Driver' showed up w/ zero weight added to their car, improper gapping, and no lubricant. I was running the pit, so I loaned them some tungsten, graphite and a gapping tool. They Won every race! (Small pack, not a lot of competition.) I didn't think much of it until this year when anothe parent reminded me of it, and wanted to know what 'magic' I pulled to get that car to win.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

One thing we have committed to as Pack is the concept that no cars are permitted to be seen NOT making it to the end of the track. Loose parts, slow cars, not enough weight... we make sure all these things are corrected before we begin racing... we are starting to run every car on the track as a test run prior to closing the pits and registration, because to have a kids car not finish, in full view of his peers, diminishes the important ideal that Scouting is a "Safe Haven" from that type of negative reinforcement.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

I suspect it is rare for Large and esp Mega size packs to do a test/tune night. I completely understand its importance and it goes along way to making PWD a much richer experience...but the logistics are often too overhelming to do it and do it fairly.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

I would respond to the fairness concern with this comment - if it is available, and the date is published, it is fair to all equally. If you are out of town, and you want your car tuned, you should rely upon your Den Leader or another leader to take your car.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

pack529holycross wrote:If you are out of town, and you want your car tuned, you should rely upon your Den Leader or another leader to take your car.
:thinking: I wonder if the proposed solution might raise more questions of fairness than it settles?

As a parent, unless my kid's leader has the experience level of, say, Sporty or Stan, I would be concerned about him tweaking our car outside our presence. And if an expert was there tuning cars that weren't his, then others might complain that is unfair (unless their cars could be tweaked by the expert too). And so on.

As a leader, I might not want to take responsibility for (much less tuning) a car in which I was not part owner, for fear of losing it, damaging it, making it worse instead of better, etc.

None of this is to say that a test and tune session is not a splendid idea; rather, I could understand why some units might resist.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

I've wondered what I would do if asked to help tune a car that would compete against my son or grandson.

Within the pack, it is an easy decision, since it is improbable that grandson would be bumped out of an invitation to district ... top 4 by grade! So, it might mean only a lesser trophy. Grandson's cars are usually pretty competitive ... I strongly urge them to "work it a little more" if I think their results are not "up to shuff." And, doggonit, if guiding the tuning of a youngster's car allowed it to beat Grandson, then that rascal just did a better job of polishing, etc. than Grandson and his win was totally justified! I'm not sure how my Bride would react, though ... :)

Now, what about competitors at the district race? Hmmm... That is a much more difficult decision. I think that I would not risk doing them harm. On the other hand, If I saw something that was going to be a major issue for them, I would probably suggest that they look at it carefully ... and why. But those are not the ones that I'd have a big concern about anyway.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

As the Derby Committee Chairman, I worked to insure that every scout and parent knew that regardless of the performance of any cars, we as a Pack are working together to make the derby successful for everyone. Additionally, we as a Pack are also a Team for the District Races. On our tune up day, I probably prepped 20-30 axles and wheels. I Tuned several cars that outperformed my son's car. I provided wheels to parents who's cars outperformed my own car. To me, it just doesn't matter because we are all on the same team. This is a learning experience for the boys.
The two cars I built and prepped for two boys who had no access to tools could have done better, but on race day I failed to seek them out to lubricate their wheels and axles. I asked them to come see me, but we failed to touch base with each other. I felt bad about that, but District is a concerted effort to make the cars better. I view each race as a Data Session, and try to convey that to the boys - have paper and pencil... write down your times... write down observations about car performance... so they can tweak the cars for the next event.
In the end a Tune Up event allows people to have any type of idea what their cars performance issues are BEFORE the race. I find that to be very valuable, and part of the process. just my two cents ( again ) :)