New district and council - no races

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
idpwdnut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: New district and council - no races

Post by idpwdnut »

rpcarpe wrote:In our district, we had a BAD incident. They ended up swapping out Derby chairs and re-writing the rules.
One more good re-write would probably help end the cut-throatedness of the whole thing.
'Winners must explain their best speed secrets prior to receiving to their trophy'.
We're using that, and it works WONDERS for the boys to teach each other what they have learned.
That is how I came Derby Chair in my last district. The old DC was allowing cars to race that clearly did not meet the posted rules and people were getting upset. I was renting a track out and doing about 15 races a season. The District Key 3 came to me and asked my about taking it over and I jumped on it. Even on my first year, even with the little hiccups that happen, was told that it was a mass improvement,even for the race teams that had the little hiccups.

Now I have moved to a new state, new council, new district. Talked to a DE and he said they do not do district PWD derbies becasue it does not meet purposes of cub scouting. He said that there was a bad experience at the last district PWD, but I have come to find out from other pack leaders that he was the "bad experience" for people at the event.

Forward eight months and I have recieved permission to do a district PWD race. Many scouters are excited about it, professional are almost negative on it, and other scouters are indifferent, because the do not normally see much coming out of the council.

Off subject just a little, but I see in my new council, nothing is where it should be compared to other councils I have been in. Leader training is horrid, roundtables are deplorable, camporees are alway up in the air as to whether or not they are going to happen. The new Council Ex is not very outgoing, a compliant from a lot of people. The program as a whole is poor not.

Just keep talking to people and building up support. It can be :wall: and :pullhair: but hopefully it will become :bigups:

I was just talking to some of the council office people and mentioned how my last council sold 40 cases of cars on average a year. My current council ordered in 8 cases, just opened the 8th and are going to order 3 more. They were quite shocked at that amount. The councils are the same size, in fact I would say my new one is just a little larger, the certian have more available population of youth.

It will happen.
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

rpcarpe wrote:'Winners must explain their best speed secrets prior to receiving to their trophy'.We're using that, and it works WONDERS for the boys to teach each other what they have learned.
I like that idea! Boys learning from boys. Sounds a little like Boy Scouts! :)
Rukkian
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Rukkian »

I actually planned to try and get at least in inter-pack race going, but without a pack to support me, it seems to be a lost cause. I tried to volunteer over and over again for the pack race, and got told in no uncertain terms that they have it taken care of and do not want help. I tried bringing up an inter-pack race and got told "no".

If my younger son was going to continue next year, we would switch packs, but since he is not going to continue, I am letting it drop. It is kind of sad in a way, but at least we do have opportunities to race - each weekend they have races at the private campground my aunt belongs to, and that usually has between 40 and 80 cars competing, so that will probably be our racing going forward.
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

Rukkian wrote:but at least we do have opportunities to race - each weekend they have races at the private campground my aunt belongs to, and that usually has between 40 and 80 cars competing, so that will probably be our racing going forward.
Dude where do you live and what kind of private campground holds weekly PWD races? I may have to move!
Rukkian
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Rukkian »

It is at Cutty's in Grimes, IA, pretty cool that they have it, boys raced 3 times last year.
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

Rukkian wrote:It is at Cutty's in Grimes, IA, pretty cool that they have it, boys raced 3 times last year.
Amazing! I am seriously envious.
idpwdnut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by idpwdnut »

Rukkian wrote:If my younger son was going to continue next year, we would switch packs, but since he is not going to continue, I am letting it drop. It is kind of sad in a way, but at least we do have opportunities to race - each weekend they have races at the private campground my aunt belongs to, and that usually has between 40 and 80 cars competing, so that will probably be our racing going forward.
It is very unfortunate that others have turned your younger son off of the program, I hope your older son has a positive experience with his new scout troop when he crosses over and helps influence the younger to return to the scouting program. There is so much more to learn and have fun with in the other families of scouting. Switching to another pack was one of the best things for my family, I say family because, not only did my son benefit, but so did I, Mom and sister. After all it is a family program is it not?

I happy that your children have such an involved father and even if they do not continue with scouting, they have a father to teach about life and how to be a good upstanding citizen.

But what about the kids that do not have a strong family influence in thier lifes. If Scouting does not provide a program for them, where are they going to go? We has scout leaders have a responsibility to make the best most well rounded program for the kids/young men, however, I suspect most people on DT are already that caliber of person.

I wish the best for you and your sons.