Grand Champion Trophy

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
Scoremaker
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Grand Champion Trophy

Post by Scoremaker »

I'M looking to do a Grand Champion Trophy this year for my Awana Club. This trophy will be given to the winner, and he/she will hold it for the next year race's. There name's will be on the name plate on the base of the trophy. I was wanting to see if any other club's that do this, and what do you do if you do not get the trophy back what due you do? Have them sign something or put down a deposit? Also wanting to get some input on what to say on the name plate? Also do I need to add the past four champion on the trophy or start new?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Grand Champion Trophy

Post by Stan Pope »

A "traveling trophy" is just too much hassle, IMO. The risks outweigh the benefits.

Instead, look at the difference between 1st and 2nd place trophies, (usually an inch in height) and have the GC trophy be that much bigger. When you think about it, the performance difference between 1st and 2nd in a grade is usually greater than the difference between GC and 1st in a grade.

Some are inclined to make a "bigger deal" out of the GC trophy, but I'd rather spend the $ on another layer of trophies!

If you want to create a permanent reminder, consider a separate plaque to be retained and displayed, for instance, at the Scout Service Center, to which the GC winner's name is added each year. Usually, keeping track of the whereabouts of the plaque is easier that way, though some SE's may take it upon themselves to discard such items on whimsey.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Scubersteve
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scubersteve »

As Stan said, having a place to display a trophy on the church premises is probably the way to go. Have a plaque on it to engrave the winners name and put a photo of the winner with their car and the trophy next to it. Display it for the year, after the next race, have it engraved with the new winner's name and put up a new photo. Maybe give the winner a framed copy of the photo of them with the trophy and their car on the day they win (photo printer onsite) so they have something to take home.
just my 2 cents
If you don't take your fun seriously, who will?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

:goodpost: I concur with Steve and Stan. I'll add that a plaque takes up less space than a trophy and thereby is easier to keep clean and display, and may therefore be better appreciated in a communal environment over time; a side-by-side plaque and photo also complement each other. I would let the GC take home and keep his own version of a personal trophy / award if personal awards are given out at all, as Steve suggests.
Scoremaker wrote:Also do I need to add the past four champion on the trophy or start new?
It would seem to make the trophy / plaque more accurate and thereby more meaningful, so why not?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Well, Scubersteve read your whole post! Sorry, I skimmed the Awana part.

Coordinate such plans with the church leadership to assure that the PW recognition is consistent with recognition from other church programs!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Scoremaker
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scoremaker »

Thanks Stan Pope, FatSebastian, Scubersteve I think you answer my question, and made it easy for me order my Plaque. Now on the name plate should I just put Awana Grand Champion with the church name?
Scubersteve wrote: put a photo of the winner with their car and the trophy next to it. Display it for the year, after the next race, have it engraved with the new winner's name and put up a new photo. Maybe give the winner a framed copy of the photo of them with the trophy and their car on the day they win (photo printer onsite) so they have something to take home.
just my 2 cents
Thats a good one I was thinking that to. Now it time to look at the trophy shop online.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

We determine our grand champion in a final race among the first-place winners of all our age groups. Since the winner already has a large first-place trophy, we don't give them another trophy. We give them a large blue ribbon that they can attach to their trophy.

Although I'm going to suggest that this year, the grand champion award be another trophy base, that the first-place trophy can rest upon. The resulting trophy will be a double-base trophy, something like this:

Code: Select all

|           |
                     |           |
                     |           |
                     |           |
                     |           |
                  ___|___________|___
                 /                   \
                /  Shape N Race Derby \
               /          2012         \
              /    First Place Speed    \
             /   Jr High & High School   \
       _____/_____________________________\_____
      /                                         \
     /             Shape N Race Derby            \
    /                     2012                    \
   /                 Grand Champion                \
  /_________________________________________________\
Scoremaker
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scoremaker »

[quote="Darin McGrew"]Although I'm going to suggest that this year, the grand champion award be another trophy base, that the first-place trophy can rest upon. The resulting trophy will be a double-base trophy, something like this[/quote] Thats a good one to we just give out a metal to the grand champion each year. I think the double base is a good choice for this years Grand Prix. I need to order a double base and Grand Champion Plaque with my racer name on it for each year.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

We started a traveling trophy last year for the fastest overall Den. It's a huge ol' wrench! The kids love it. Good idea to have it on display.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.