first dry run, couple questions

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
jvandyke
Apprentice
Apprentice

first dry run, couple questions

Post by jvandyke »

We set up our track for the first time last night. Hooked everything up. All worked perfectly. Champ Timer, Grand Prix Race Manager software. I had loaded a "fake" schedule of what I think things will look like on race night and ran it. (we added a projector and pointed it across the room onto the wall so audience can see results in 20foot wide screen).
DNF
Several test cars didn't even make it to the finish line. It seems like if you wait long enough it defaults to 99.9999 (or similar) I read you can adjust that delay, seemed too long, or can you trigger that from the software?

Some derailments: seems you can re-run the whole heat, or just that car and then manually put in the time for just that one? I didn't have time to test these theories. I read some say if the derail interfered with other cars you rerun the heat, if not, just that car, if it derails again? I think manually give it a 99 if it derails twice in one heat?

Tonight we're running a church wide race, that's our "pre-test" before Monday's club races (Calvinist Cadet club). In some ways tonight's is much more challenging but less "critical". Should reveal our weaknesses I would think. Yikes.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: first dry run, couple questions

Post by gpraceman »

jvandyke wrote:DNF
Several test cars didn't even make it to the finish line. It seems like if you wait long enough it defaults to 99.9999 (or similar) I read you can adjust that delay, seemed too long, or can you trigger that from the software?
A DNF car will get the max time. The default is 9.9999 seconds. You can adjust that in the Hardware Options screen. Note, this is not a timeout value, so it has no affect on the timer. It is just the time awarded to a car not finishing.

As for cars not finishing, look at http://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7160, to give them some help.
jvandyke wrote:Some derailments: seems you can re-run the whole heat, or just that car and then manually put in the time for just that one? I didn't have time to test these theories. I read some say if the derail interfered with other cars you rerun the heat, if not, just that car, if it derails again? I think manually give it a 99 if it derails twice in one heat?
You can rerun the whole heat or just the car individually. To do it individually, you need to use the Test/Tie Break mode, note down the time and then go back to the heat and use the Manual Results button to edit that racer's time.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Caution needed when substituting a "solo time" for a contested heat time: Over several trials on a 4-section Freedom track, snap-open gate with microswitch timer start, cars recorded faster times when running solo than when running with other cars.

Can't tell you why at this point, but it seemed that the time differences were enough that substituting a solo time in place of a contested time could affect standings. Differences appeared to be in the hundredths digit.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
jvandyke
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jvandyke »

Okay, we did pretty well. Confusion on my part as group finished up and screen asked if I wanted to add another round or final round. I didn't really understand what it was asking me. I guess when a group's heats are done you click "close" and then view standings and can show results. I couldn't get the whole Awards thing but that's okay. Reran a couple heats, easy if it's right after.