PN for Finals

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
Rukkian
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

PN for Finals

Post by Rukkian »

Max-V's article, and some info from this site has me wondering if I should re-evaluate our Pack's criteria for advancing to the finals. Due to highly varying numbers of boys in different ranks (3-16), we are combining 3 ranks into one group (each with a sub-group for awards) meaning we are doing times (which I don't prefer for smaller races). Historically, we have only taken 3 from each den to the finals (15 total), but I ordered 4 den trophies for each of the 2 larger dens, and was going to pass those onto the finals. I am now considering just taking the top 13 (by time) overall to a pack finale, and then running by points in a perfect-N schedule. Since we have a 6 lane track, I think 13 is the highest usable number for our pack (35 total).

Since everybody has really liked what I have done with the derby the last 2 years, I have pretty much carte blanch to make changes.

First question - Am I correct in that 13 is a valid PN on a 6 lane, and is it the highest (other than 31)?
Second Question - anybody see an issue with this approach compared to my original plan?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: PN for Finals

Post by Stan Pope »

Rukkian wrote:...
First question - Am I correct in that 13 is a valid PN on a 6 lane, and is it the highest (other than 31)?
Second Question - anybody see an issue with this approach compared to my original plan?
My search software could not find a 13 car 6 lane PN solution. It registered as PPN.
So, if 13 is your requirement run only 4 lanes! You can run twice in each lane for an even better CPN schedule. Test other alternatives at http://www.stanpope.net/ppngen.html.

Any PPN schedule run by times is more accurate than PN schedule run by points. The question is whether time or points is the preference of the group.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Rukkian
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Rukkian »

Not sure if you will read this in time, as I am leaving in a few minutes to setup, but on your page : http://www.stanpope.net/genframe.html, it seems to show a perfect-N (or complimentary perfect-N) 13-6. It seems to have 13 racers and 6 lanes over 26 races. Am I looking at it wrong?
Rukkian
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Rukkian »

If 13 is not correct, is there a place that will show what numbers do work with 6 lanes?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Rukkian wrote:Not sure if you will read this in time, as I am leaving in a few minutes to setup, but on your page : http://www.stanpope.net/genframe.html, it seems to show a perfect-N (or complimentary perfect-N) 13-6. It seems to have 13 racers and 6 lanes over 26 races. Am I looking at it wrong?
Right! The search used for the "ppngen" didn't have enough computer time to do 2 round solution searches for 6 lanes! And we didn't go back an retrofit special cases! So, that solution will probably not be in software like GPRM. :(
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"