Looking for different race

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
bobcatbrown520
Journeyman
Journeyman

Looking for different race

Post by bobcatbrown520 »

In the past all of our Pack's dens have been fairly uniform in size with plenty of boys allowing for a first, second and third place trophy in each den. The last couple of years we have had two dens with only 3 boys in each....while the other dens having 8 to 12 boys. Myself I think it is kinda unfair to the larger dens to see a den of 3 boys each receive a trophy. I have thought of racing the pack together as a whole with den sub groups....only one first place award for each den and those winners in a grand final to determine grand champion. What is everyone else's thoughts on making this better?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Looking for different race

Post by Speedster »

I would stay with what you have been doing. Give 1, 2, and 3 an award for each Den whether it is a 2 foot high trophy or a simple patch.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Looking for different race

Post by Vitamin K »

We have never removed awards from a rank due to small size. If there's only two Wolves, then each one is going home with either 1st or 2nd place. That's how it works at sporting events, too.

One thing we do do, however, is if there are a particularly large amount of scouts at one rank, we'll split it into sub-groups and award 1st, 2nd and 3rd to each subgroup. Promotion to the finals, though, we'll do based upon speed.