Great Cubmobile Wheels

Discussions related to building cubmobiles.
singerk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Great Cubmobile Wheels

Post by singerk »

:D We've been running Cubmobile Races for many years and have found a great source for wheels! Please visit our Cubmobile Wheels page on our website at http://www.choptankdistrict.org/cubmobile-wheels.htm
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Great Cubmobile Wheels

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Singerk,

Thanks for posting this information. The wheels were one of the 'hurdles' that we are facing to have a Cubmobile Race of our own. I couldn't tell if they came in different colors or not but the rims (?) are a lot better looking the the 'plain jane' (lawn mower type) looking wheels we were looking at - which were going to more expensive!

Da Graphite Kid
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

that link does not work no more,

try this link- http://www.comtech2000.com/Standard.htm

sporty
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

If you go to me cumbmobile forum on this site, tips and hints, I had posted to test run times and info. and a link to my wib site with pictures.

I think the comtech wheels are 2 slow for competition, easier to steer with, but i think different bearings are in order.

I am very dis apointed with the comtech wheels, I have e-mailed, them im hoping they have some different bearing to try.

Cuz im likely to eat the price of the comtech wheels and buy the blains farm n fleet wheels to be competitive, if different bearings cant be tried.

I think the spin time has a huge factor in it. Since i got like 20 seconds fromt he comtech wheels and over 1 minute with the blains farm n fleet wheels.

sporty
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

FYI

The 10" wheels can be had for about $12 apiece, and they offer 1/2" ID bearings.

This year, we used the 8" wheel (the best bargain at $5 apiece)... but off the shelf steel rod from Lowes (the 8" wheel largest bearing is 3/8" ID).
Our soft steel axle rods and 3/8" ID bearings (limiting the diameter of our axles) was not enough this year to prevent a slight warping of one axle.

Next year, we're using the 1/2" ID bearings and thus 1/2" OD steel for axles... and going up on the alloy (ordering from McMaster Carr)... going to make me have to buy a nitrite drill bit to make the cotter pin holes :)

Actually, already ordered and received the 10" wheels from Commtech.
Just getting ahead of the game a bit for next year.

They thought they could get 5/8" ID bearings, but no dice from the bearing vendor.

However, if someone were really froggy, they could possibly chase down a bearing with 5/8" ID on their own, and order the Commtech wheels sans bearings.
You would have to press in your own bearings once received.

It was an easier option for us to just go with stronger steel.
I've selected 1045Carbon rod, .003" undersize, B90 Rockwell hardness with 77ksi strength, McMaster part number 8924k35, $11.48 for a 6' long rod (plus shipping).

Terry
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I got 4 10 inch wheels, commtech. I wont be using.

sporty