Ideas for conducting multi-pack derbies?

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
Den_Leader
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Ideas for conducting multi-pack derbies?

Post by Den_Leader »

We have 18 boys in our pack, another pack has 8 boys, and a third pack has 12 boys. We have an old 4 lane wood track in good shape, another pack has a one year old 6 lane aluminum track, and a third pack has no track.

I have been asked if we would consider running a multi-pack derby on the 6 lane aluminum track in lieu of three separate events. I have reserved comment, but will need to make a decision soon since our pack committee has indicated that it will be my choice.

I like the idea of the boys being able to race against more competition. I also like the idea that more boys will experience a win with less competition on the 4 lane vs. the 6 lane track. I'm afraid that using the 4 lane track will make a multi-pack event exceed the time frame that would be acceptable to most parents.

Anybody ever conduct such an event?

I'm thinking about running all 38 boys in a PPN chart on the 6 lane track.
Then take the top 5 boys from our pack and run them in a CPN final to determine our 1st through third. Then take the top 5 boys from pack 2 and run them in a CPN final, then repeat for pack 3. Finally take the top 9 boys (1st through 3rd for each pack) and run them in a CPN to get overall event winners. I do have reluctancy for some reason. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Slow Car Disease? ~ The cure is in your hands!
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Ideas for conducting multi-pack derbies?

Post by sporty »

I am no Den Leader,

I personnal feel Multi events are a pain.

The local pack should come first, There race. Thats my thoughts on it.

Then and only then would I think of a multi Pack Race.

I think its easier to let them borrow a track or stagger the race. Meaning after the race. They could have theres.

I see nothing wrong with staggering a race or the times.

But The local pack I feel should have there own race first.

Even tho this is different. The Cubmobile race that was put on in 2005, was multi pack.

And I really felt the local pack racers, felt overwhelmed and they had to compete against a much bigger field.

As long as the other packs race for there own pack, Then I see no harm and just a longer day, if you wanted it combined.

I feel kids are only good for 2 or 3 hours of sitting around watching others do a race.

my 2 cents.

Im sure its not a easy choice to make. But I would recommend staggering the race for them to use the track or loan them a track.

sporty
ranman106
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ranman106 »

I agree somewhat with Sporty.

Here is my .02.

Each Pack has their own race. Let the tracks Pack choose when they will race (1st, 2nd, or 3rd). The other 2 Packs draw straws, toss coins, etc. That way each Pack has their own race and awards for their boys.

Next let all the boys race. Those that have to leave may do so and so on. Your fastest cars will definately be there. For the boys that stay, set up a championship for the tri-pack event. Split the cost of the award between the packs. Maybe get one trophy or placque that passes each year to the winning Pack (not racer). Might turn into an annual event, you never know. I think the boys might like the idea!
The Wedge - It's not a doorstop, it's a way of life!
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

That is a pretty good idea and thought, hmm, wish I had thought of it ! :lol:

sporty
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

First, check with your council's professional regarding policy for multi-pack events. We were restricted from joint events with more than 2 packs without jumping through some hoops. May be a desire to prevent "unofficial district events"... dunno. Don't know if that was a local or national rule.

If the racers will be meeting later at district or council events, I'm inclined to not race against each other during the "pack" event. In fact, I'd try to run in a fashion that comparison between pack's cars is not possible... e.g. race by points, not times!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
michael4262
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by michael4262 »

You definitely should check with your district executive at a minimum before setting up a joint event .... clear it with the head honchos ... :mrgreen: ...

That being said, it seems with the smallish number of boys in each pack and the fact that there is some interest in this, there probably isn't any reason why it couldn't be a multi-pack event.

You could keep the packs seperate when racing, but hold a single race day.... you would have muchos happy boys and parents if you held a single race day event for all three packs ... have some pizza & soda to start it all off, race each pack individually, the races shouldn't take long given the number of boys involved ... and then award each pack's winners in a joint presentation ... no sense getting into a multi-pack competiton if it seems to be unsettling (not to mention multiple pack car creation rules) ... keep it simple and let everyone benefit from the single event!

just my 2cents too .....
- Mike
Den_Leader
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Den_Leader »

I knew there would be some good advice from fellow pineheds. Thank you all.

Our district races are open to any scout that wishes to register. I've already tried to change that and failed. There is usually around 300 racers at the local mall for district race day.

Four years ago our pack had 8 boys and after two races I knew who the fastest cars were. The leaders at that time dragged the racing on for an hour though. It was not fun for the parents to watch very predictable races, and It was not fun for the boys to know while staging what the finish order would be. We could have run a CPN chart and been done in ten minutes.

Thinking back on that evening makes me want to assist the other two packs be able to have some middle ground between racing against the same boys over and over and going to the district races where they will most likely race three times down the track and be done for the day. For that reason I like the Tri-pack idea. Yes, these boys could be paired against one another on district day, but the odds that one will eliminate another are slim.

All three packs use the district rules for our races, so rule compatibility will not be an issue. Many packs in our council have way more than 38 boys, so predictable outcomes at the district races should be no more problematic among our three packs than it is for the large packs. Plus car modifications are permitted between pack and district races. Our district is composed of about 1,200 boys, so participation is generally about 25%.

Our pack is not large for sure, but we have enough boys that race outcomes on a PPN chart has been exciting in the past couple of years. I am really more concerned for the other two packs being able to have a good experience and memories of derby day. I don't want to make the slowest car race too many times, and I don't want him to believe that he has no chance since he has already lost to all the cars on the track. I also would like him to get enough races to feel the effort was worthwhile. He most likely will not be at district races. Generally the faster cars go to the mall, and the slower cars would rather not.

I will talk to council today. Any further thoughts? I'm just trying to 'do my best'.
Slow Car Disease? ~ The cure is in your hands!