Rules for Pack 351 (from the "how to spot liquid lube&a

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Rules for Pack 351 (from the "how to spot liquid lube&a

Post by Teeeman »

Our rules really didn't change...

I just took what was already said, followed up (after some discussion with other District leadership at a get together)...

http://www.bsa351.org/p/07_DistPWD_Rev2.pdf

What changed:

Just mostly expounded on or clarified our existing rules.
Added suggested hints for how to judge, which could make it (maybe?) easier for some to cheat? In truth, I think we can catch them anyway if they do :)

Only rules that honestly chnaged for us is not THIS YEAR but starting in 2008 "competition cycle" the looks cars can't exceed the physical envelope of a speed car.
Last 2 years running the winning looks cars at District were beautiful wooden sculptures with Pinewood wheels stuck on as an afterthought (these cars would not physically fit on the track even, last year's winning outhouse, which was very cute BTW!, was 2X as wide as a normal car yet was called a "Pinewood" looks car...).

Only reason for delaying the looks envelope change a year is we have on good word more than 1 cub starts their looks car months ahead and works on them all year. That said, I was asked to put this delay clause for this one change in the rules.

the rest is just clarification... and for the careful observer, these new guidelines offer some pretty visual hints as to speed tricks that I believe work nicely :)

-Terry
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
SlartyBartFast
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Rules for Pack 351 (from the "how to spot liquid lu

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Washers are any added material between any given wheel and the car body which are not attached to the body in a non-moving fashion. Likewise, such items cannot be attached to any rotating wheels (washers attached to rotating wheels in any fashion shall be considered added weights). Washers are not specifically round in shape and any geometry meeting the above guidelines can and will be considered a washer.
Problem is, a glued in metal washer meets the criteria of being legal does it not? But then it's a bushing. Right?

But then again, how is a loose graphite pad illegal (as a washer) but otherwise legal if glued (even though it is now a bushing)?

Sad that rules need to be this arcane, but yours seem to be a little wordier than required.

Just word as: Any installed metal, or non-metal component on an axle, wheel, or car body, as well as substances poured into a wheel bore and drilled with new axle holes is not allowed.

Then you could list compliant and non-compliant designs (being sure to clearly indicate no list is an exhaustive list of all legal or illegal configurations).
festiva91
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by festiva91 »

Wow those rules sound like they are made for nascar. One question, do the other districts use your same rules? I wonder how you guys do in council races. Are your rules more restrictive?
tmbnorm
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by tmbnorm »

I see you are in Huntsville, AL. Teeeman.

There are a lot of smart engineers there that could try to "bend" the rules if the rules are not specific.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

SlartyBartFast wrote:
Washers are any added material between any given wheel and the car body which are not attached to the body in a non-moving fashion. Likewise, such items cannot be attached to any rotating wheels (washers attached to rotating wheels in any fashion shall be considered added weights). Washers are not specifically round in shape and any geometry meeting the above guidelines can and will be considered a washer.
Problem is, a glued in metal washer meets the criteria of being legal does it not? But then it's a bushing. Right?
If it were glued to the body, I wouldn't think it would be considered a bushing. The body and axle are not moving relative to one another at that point.

However, if it were glued to the wheel and had a smaller ID such that the axle is now actually riding the bore of the washer instead of the bore of the wheel, I would think it would fall into the "bushing" category.

To quote Forrest Gump: "And that's all I have to say about that". Much more could be said, but just don't have the time right now...
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
SlartyBartFast
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Go Bubba Go wrote:If it were glued to the body, I wouldn't think it would be considered a bushing. The body and axle are not moving relative to one another at that point.
But you do realise that a fixed washer would be the same as a loose washer for providing a running surface for the wheel right?

That's why washers are banned, no?
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

SlartyBartFast wrote:
Go Bubba Go wrote:If it were glued to the body, I wouldn't think it would be considered a bushing. The body and axle are not moving relative to one another at that point.
But you do realise that a fixed washer would be the same as a loose washer for providing a running surface for the wheel right?

That's why washers are banned, no?
Yes.

My reply above was only in answer to the question about whether or not it would be considered a bushing.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby