Which Test Track and Timer?

Commercial tracks.
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Which Test Track and Timer?

Post by PWD_addict »

OK--I received a decent bonus from work recently and want to splurge on a test track and timer. Any suggestions? Are there any timers that don't require a PC connection (since I don't have one)? I can make a long cable to connect to my desktop from where I plan to put it but would prefer not to. If it matters, we use a 40' Challenger track for Pack and District.
TIA,
Dave
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Which Test Track and Timer?

Post by pwdarchitect »

Dave,

The DT8000 or DT2000 by Newbold does not require a computer.
Test track depends on the space that you have to setup within. Personally a 2 lane track would be better then you could verify that your "this" years car is faster than your "Last" years car. If you have 32 feet of space then go with a track that will fit that, wood or alum. If you have 35 feet of space then the Best track will work for you. Either way, what you have is simulated real track conditions eventhough the length may not be the same as the Race on track.

J
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

Thanks pwdarchitect. I wanted a two lane track (should have specified that). I'll have to measure the space I have. I think it's about 35'. I'll measure this weekend.
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TAL »

I'm not fimiliar with the DT timers as mentioned above by the other member, but I use micro wizard fast track and we are very pleased with it...

www.microwizard.com and click on our products and you should see K-1, K2, and K-3 timers...

All micro wizard timers can be used with or without a computer. I think a nice setup would be the K-1 with the optional time display board. Or you could just get the K-3 with or without the SOF display...

The K-2 will only display finish order , but will send times to a computer if you get that option...

Micro wizard also send the length of cable that you describe when you get the optional computer serial face and remote start switch for the timer...

Far as tracks, I think a Paintdesio would be more similar to a challenger type track and could get it in a 32' or just get a 40' and leave a section off until you need it... I'm sure you would be pleased with a paintdesio or a best track...

For a lower budget track get 1 sheet of 1/2" sanded birch plywood (around $32.00) ... Get a good sawman at Home depot, Lowes or where ever to rip it in 7" strips (6 peices x 7" = 42") and use your 4 or 5 best peices for the track sections and use the other peices for your legs and planks or joint sections...

You can buy 2 strips of lettice strips for each section (lettice strips are only 1.5" wide and a standard track center rail is 1 5/8" wide) or get 1/4" thick sanded plywood (around $15.00) and rip that in 1 5/8" strips to make your guide rails on 3 1/2" centers ...

So for less than $100.00 you can buy bolts, materials and all and have a really nice 32" or 40" ( or even a 48') 2 lane track...
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

I make test tracks with the same plating as "the Challenger" - you can purchase the plating directly from the mfg for $13.75 each. 2 lane * 4 sections = 8 sections = $110 plus shipping for the plating. For two lanes the frame could be made from 1x2s.

Their web site is: http://www.betacrafts.com

More information at: http://www.geocities.com/~pack215/pwd-challenger.html

I make 34 foot single lane test tracks with a 4 position timer system. Split times at 6" from start, bottom of transition, 8ft from end, finish line. 4 sections of plating and a 3' stop section. The track has side to side leveling in addition to length wise leveling. The timer requires a serial output device or computer. Micro Wizard.com has a 4 place Remote display that could be used to display the split times. I could advise you on making one for your self if you want.
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

Mr. Slick wrote:I make test tracks with the same plating as "the Challenger" - you can purchase the plating directly from the mfg for $13.75 each. 2 lane * 4 sections = 8 sections = $110 plus shipping for the plating. For two lanes the frame could be made from 1x2s.

Their web site is: http://www.betacrafts.com

More information at: http://www.geocities.com/~pack215/pwd-challenger.html

I make 34 foot single lane test tracks with a 4 position timer system. Split times at 6" from start, bottom of transition, 8ft from end, finish line. 4 sections of plating and a 3' stop section. The track has side to side leveling in addition to length wise leveling. The timer requires a serial output device or computer. Micro Wizard.com has a 4 place Remote display that could be used to display the split times. I could advise you on making one for your self if you want.
Thanks for the advice. I measured and I only have 28 foot maximum to play with. Would 3 sections of Betacraft be worthwhile for a test track?

How do you handle the transitions and get the proper slope on the tracks when you do it yourself? :?:
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

yep. I would recommend that there be three track sections and a stop section. The first section would end at the bottom of the transition and then 2 section of run out and the stop area. This would basically put the drop height at half the normal height of the Challenger design which has the transition end at the bottom of the second section.

The Track sections are 93" each (3" short of 8' to allow for easier shipping/storage) and the stop I would normally use is 3 ft. for the short tracks. For the full 8 section track that I use I use a 4 ft stop section so 3' for a short track is more than enough. You could probably get by with a 2 foot stop section.

I use the pattern from the Challenger Track Plans for the curve. The track is flexible and with patience it can be held in place on the transition with several screws the same as the other sections are held to the frame/support.

To do the alignment I have been instructed, by those I would consider experts, to let the car start on the last 7 inches(or so) of the transition to get a nice test for where the car drifts to and what the wheels are doing.

As far as a serial cable goes, I use a 68 foot cable for my big tracks.
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.