What's the best type of axle.

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
11HP20
Apprentice
Apprentice

What's the best type of axle.

Post by 11HP20 »

Let's say you have to use BSA axles and wheels with dry lube. Has anyone done any testing to see what axles work best. I've read solid highly polished work best. I've seen all the "Speed Axles" on the market. Big grooves, little grooves, 1, 2, or 3 grooves. I'm going to enter a race that allows all these and want to try making something myself. I certainly don't want do all the work to make a slower axle than I already make. What's the 411 fellas?
CM924
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: What's the best type of axle.

Post by CM924 »

Don't think you're going to get a definitive answer. I have read the grooves are good for a graphite reservoir and I have read it keeps the graphite from breaking in properly.
Jeff
Cubmaster Pack 924
woodenshoe1
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by woodenshoe1 »

If there are no restrictions on the type of axles, try Awana axles with your BSA wheels. They are slightly larger in diameter and give less "wiggle room" no matter if you're using graphite or oil. Also, do a search on using oil with grooved axles. Seems to be a choice of many that can use oil.

Wooden Shoe
11HP20
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by 11HP20 »

woodenshoe1 wrote:If there are no restrictions on the type of axles, try Awana axles with your BSA wheels. They are slightly larger in diameter and give less "wiggle room" no matter if you're using graphite or oil. Also, do a search on using oil with grooved axles. Seems to be a choice of many that can use oil.

Wooden Shoe
Are the Awana's axles any better than the old BSA ones? I have 10 old style .092" BSA axles. I was thinking about using those for the reason you mentioned the Awanas. I can say what I have looks 100 times better than the [junk] the BSA sells with the PWD kits these days. Thanks for the pointer. I'll get some Awana axles this week.
"Someone got footie prints aalll overrr myyy desert." Yosemite Sam 1955
woodenshoe1
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by woodenshoe1 »

I am not familiar with the old BSA axles but they appear to be about the same diameter as the Awana axles. You will find the Awana axles alot easier to prep. I usually go 800, 1500, 2000 and then use Mother's Mag. polish. Some guys skip the 800 and just start with the 1500.

Good Luck,

Wooden Shoe
11HP20
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by 11HP20 »

A couple guys at the district race asked me how we got both cars into the finals. I told them we filed, and straightened axles then polished them. We went all the way to 8000 grit paper. I was thinking of using jewelers rouge on the next set I do. (My car) Is Mother's Mag better than jewelers rouge?
"Someone got footie prints aalll overrr myyy desert." Yosemite Sam 1955
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

Iron oxide (known as jeweler's rouge) - aproximately 3 micron, Mothers - .05 micron. There are different grades of jewelers rouge this is probably a mid to low at 3 micron.
Grubartez
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Grubartez »

Any particle size difference between Mother's Mag and Mother's Billet?
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

Grubartez wrote:Any particle size difference between Mother's Mag and Mother's Billet?
Not sure. Hard to get much finer than .05. Maybe someone has an answer, I don't.
Grubartez
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Grubartez »

It sure does cost a little more. Must be some difference I guess.