Stop section for Piantedosi Freedom Aluminum

Commercial tracks.
tmbnorm
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Stop section for Piantedosi Freedom Aluminum

Post by tmbnorm »

I am so confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!

Here are instructions from the website.

http://microwizard.com/manuals_stop_section.php

5.Attach the assembled braking unit to the timer mounting plate using the holes that are 11” from the end of the track. Pass a ¼-20 button head screw through each offset tab, through the center of the track, and into the timer mounting plate. Start all screws before tightening.

That is basically what we did.
Our timer is not at this location though. We had to drill holes to attach the stop section.
Our timer is not that close to the end of the track.
Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Kenny »

It can be frustrating when new parts are matched with legacy parts. We've recently upgraded to a microswitch start and found that our timer wasn't wired properly for that. We had to improvise, but it was worth it in the end.

It's always hard to tell for sure from the photo, but it is important that the stop section screw holes be at 11" (or slightly less than 11") from the end of the track. You can use the stop section to mark the holes actually if you need to re-drill them. You know you have it right when the track ends meet with the stop section binding plate almost exactly. Based on your photo, it looks like the holes used to screw on the braking section are more than 11 inches from the end of the track which creates an unwanted elevation of the braking section.

Also, keep in mind that the tabs may be bent a little too much near the screws in which case you can flatten them out a little as needed.

It is fair to say that the instructions could be better. I always thought that a video would go a long way to helping Packs get these sucker set up the first time and then later too with some packing and storage tips etc. Maybe some day.

You guys are lucky to have such a great track, it just needs to be tweaked a little and you're in business.
Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Kenny »

gpraceman wrote:
Kenny wrote:Also, it's worth noting that is completely ineffective if you run a starting gate higher than 48 in above the flat. That extra height easily overwhelms this already borderline design with a "fast car"
The start gate shouldn't be any higher than that anyways for that track, unless you are doing a custom setup. It would be nice if it was a bit longer of a stop, but that is the only thing that I would consider "borderline". Even if it was longer, being that I am a bit paranoid, I would still throw something soft at the end to be one last stopping means. I have done that at the end of a BestTrack stop section as well.

Further elaboration required: Our Pack decided some years ago to put the starting section up on a stage riser to generate more speed for the many DNFers over our 48 ft Piantidosi Aluminum track. The stage riser is a full 7.5 feet above the floor!

So here I am on the telephone talking with the MicroWizard folks about our issue with so many cars going "big air freestyle" on us when they finally figured out that we were using the product quite incorrectly! Once we lowered the track to the standard for which it was designed the stopping section rarely lost many cars. To solve the slow car syndrome we simply started workshops and reduced track length to 40 ft.

We also use auxillary "padding" just in case, but the new stopping section is more than adequate to the task.
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

gpraceman wrote:
ah8tk wrote:The stop section should be LOWER than the track.
If you look at the first photo that I posted, which is off of the Micro Wizard site, it looks like they mean for the long tabs to attach further in from the end, with the tabs acting as ramps. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense to me to make such long tabs.
I would have to disagree, we have the type you have posted (purchased a freedom track 3 years ago) and the new type I posted, seems they redesigned the stop section since our original purchase (purchased a second stop section for Big Rigs, January of this year, not needed), they both attach to the end of the track (see instructions here, these instructions came with the stop section, see highlighted sections).
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I sent an email to Micro Wizard to get some clarification on mounting their current stop section.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
tmbnorm
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by tmbnorm »

I feel better then.. It appears that we mounted the stop section like we were supposed to at the time.
They may have changed the instructions, but the website doesn't reflect that.
Microwizard
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Microwizard »

Here is a photo of the stop section on our aluminum track.
It mounts to the same plate that the timers mount to, then raises the car off the track just after they pass over the finish line.
We have many more photo of our tracks and timers at the link below.
http://www.kydirt.com/gallery/v/pinewood/
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Thanks for the clarification Stuart!
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.