Something vintage to share

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Something vintage to share

Post by FatSebastian »

:offtopic:
whodathunkit wrote:Ok guy's I'm getting the sense of negativity in your response's!
FWIW, I did not get any sense of criticism of BSA or Don Murphy from your earlier posts. I have found it almost impossible to reliably "sense" negative feelings in emails and electronic fora unless somebody comes out and explicitly says something negative or adds an "emoticon" (smiley) that suggests negativity. This is because many times people type abrupt responses because they are in a hurry; their terseness which leaves an impression that wasn't intended.

Lack of feedback regarding your posts doesn't necessarily suggest negativity. Consider these points:

1) Even though DT has almost 2000 registered members, more than 40% are "lurkers" (have never posted a single response to the board). Only 1/4 have made 10 or more posts....

2) We are into the derby "off season" for most, so even those that are normally very active may not be following these boards because they aren't thinking much about PWD right now (if that's possible!)

3) We don't have a PWD memorabilia forum, so you are posting to a board for "Car & Semi-Truck Photos". So folks that are most keenly interested in memorabilia may have yet to discover your posts yet because they haven't discovered the right spot.

The point is that the size of your audience right now may be relatively small, and number of folks that might respond (positively or negatively) very much smaller! But much of what you are contributing is timeless...
whodathunkit wrote:But I guess I myself.. in my own words have in someway faild to clue you all in.
If you think that a post was initially unclear, you can click the Image button and can change / add to it.

I suspect that PWD memorabilia is interesting to most folks, and all are appreciative of your photographic contributions (or will be once they see them), but it may not generate a lot of discussion - just appreciation. After all, there is a difference between visiting a museum in person versus seeing photos of the exhibits. However, you may be inspiring some future collectors out there (and thereby perhaps raising the value of your own collection)!
Last edited by FatSebastian on Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

whodathunkit wrote:Ok guy's I'm getting the sense of negativity in your response's! So Please let me clear this up if you will! I I'm in no way Trash Talking down on the Boy Scout's of America. The Cub Scout's, Or About Don Murphy! This very car was built in Memory of hem. And it was raced under his rules of 1953! On 8 penny finish nail axels..with no lube what so ever.. As a Testament to show just how far his gift of love has came in the many years it has been in the running by kid's in Scouting!
( The kid's finger prints on the computer screen if you will .. is there way for cheering his car on!)
And his gift of love he gave to his son. Then to Scouting! And for all of what The Boy Scout's of America stands for!

But I guess I myself.. in my own words have in someway faild to clue you all in. In this matter!
And I'm just trying! To Do My Best! Like the many of you in Scouting.
Did I miss something? I don't see any negativity in anyone's post to this thread, so I'm not sure why you got that feeling. I think it is cool what you have dug up and displayed for all of us to see. I would not take non-responses as negativity. As FS mentioned, this is the off season for this sport, so things can get pretty quiet at times here. Activity picks back up in the Fall.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

My wife has just informed me that I must be off my rocker and bitten by the PWD bug. :rofl:
I was confused in my definition of words like "Execute" and "imagine", etc. I was afraid maybe I was posting what I shouldn't have been and I started worrying about copywright and what not. So please forgive my earlier replies and I'm SUPER GREATFUL for your feedback. Posting is brand new for me - as well as learning how to get around on a computer. Thanks for the explainations, kind words, and replies. :wall: (you can laugh now) I knew I was crazy over this car - but have just now learned exactly HOW crazy!!!!! :idea: My dad always taught me to never argue with an idiot - because first they will bring you down to their level and then they will beat you with experience and "whodathunkit!!!" none of us are idiots but I sure felt like one when I had my wife look over the posts :paperbag:

Your Friend in the Pinewood Derby,
Whodathunkit :scratching:
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

whodathunkit wrote:none of us are idiots but I sure felt like one when I had my wife look over the posts
A wife does come in handy sometimes. ;) Thank her for us!

I get it now (I think)... "beautifully executed" was taken to mean "to put to death"? Of course you've hopefully figured out by now that I meant it in the more general sense of "to carry out fully" (that is, you took the magazine plans and turned them into an actual car) as well as in the sense of "to make or produce (as a work of art) especially by carrying out a design." So it was a compliment.

I understood that Kenny was "imagining" back to the era when those kits you have were new - a time when boys had few childhood distractions other than to make toy cars and dream big dreams. (He was not referring to someone sitting in jail without luxuries because he built a slow car and attributed it to Don Murphy. :lol: )

Thanks for the clarification, whoda! :rofl:
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

It just goes to show that you just got to love the underdogs in this race.

Thank you FatSebastian for your "compliments" that were mistakenly taken :whew:

And i think the time the car ran with no lube. Was pretty Impressive! up against the one useing fan motor power.. and the next useing bearing outlaw wheels!

:? I was but it's all cool now! And to think i was doing something very wrong had me all :nervous: with race day jitters! Thank you All at and on DT. I'm going to go and say a :pray: er. Befor i make my next post!
Last edited by whodathunkit on Sun May 02, 2010 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

whoda, can you explain to us how you made the cockpit area? Is it made from an old-fashioned notch in the block with the rounded sides built up with putty? Or is it drilled and sanded out from on top on an unnotched block? ...
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Nice car !

I got a couple of these cars, the old stuff ! the wood was very old !

I am hoping to get them together later this year and run them.

im gonna go see if i can find the pics, I posted awhile ago here. I think you will like them.

Sporty
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

the blue one is a clone made out of balsa i did-

whiter color is the balsa one.

I have one I can still build I think, Id have to look.

Sporty
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Thank you guys! FatSebastion, I want to say to you Thanks for all your help you are a true champ at what you do here on DT.

Sporty, I love your vintage cars!

What a ride this car takes a child on.. with Big Dreams of bringing home a Trophy!
For the the many of us guy's we would like to see and make there dreams come true!
Funny! how this very car has us guys felling as we are reliveing are childhood!
But that is the power of love Don Murphy, gave to his son. And then to us all threw the power of Scouting!

FS, This is how the side's for the cockpit were made. we used thin wood cut to fit into the notch. And yes just so you know it was all hand made from scratch just like the first kits from back then. We used vintage wheels from a kit for are wheels! I'll have to do up a post with photo's some time on this! I have a photo to share on a car i did up useing today's wheels!
You know how kid's love the movie Cars!

(PHOTOS REMOVED) :bigups: Sorry guys we all make mistakes in life
thats how we learn.. so i felt i should remove the photo's

Pappy McQueen.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Very nice !

Sporty
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Sporty, Thank you for sharing your vintage cars!
can i ask you what you are useing to make your decals with?
I guess you could say i'm passionate when it comes to helping kids in Scouting!
It's really good to know you all are passionate at what you do also!

I'd just like to say Thank you all for what you do on derby talk :!:
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

whodathunkit wrote:You know how kid's love the movie Cars! [...] Pappy McQueen.
Yeah, okay, I didn't notice it at first, but the windshield has little eyes ala the animated movie Cars. :)

Pretty car!
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

FatSebastion,
Thank you.. You've got alot of Heart talking to me and helping me!
I must admit to you using the computer and talking to you all has me feeling just a little intimidated! (Trying to learn it!)
All's I really intended was to share this ride with you all.
Things got somewhat out of hand... and they shouldn't have! But it did and I'm sorry!
You guys have it rough enough answering everyone's questions.

But I do thank you for sticking by my side and helping me out and answering my questions!
I guess in some ways you have been all along like in your questions to me about the side boards.
Please let me share.. with you a close up look of the car our pack built!
The kids did most of the work on it, sanding, ect!
But they told me I had to paint it for them.. it is all hand painted!
Hope you all will enjoy their work!
Last edited by whodathunkit on Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Sweet ride :thumbup:
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Thanks gpraceman!!!

and Sporty - Thanks for the vintage pics you shared.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?