Request for Race Data

Debates and discussions on the various race scheduling methods that can be used and their fairness and accuracy in determining the winners.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Request for Race Data

Post by Stan Pope »

I would like to receive the complete (less personally identifying information) heat-by-heat detail data from your PW races, especially those which are highly competitive, i.e. close. To facilitate use in other software and to make it easier to strip personally identifying information, I would like to receive the data in CSV (comma separated values?) format.

I understand that software like GPRM can easily export such data in CSV format.

The data will be used to test some hypotheses regarding competition models. Third party statistical analysis will be involved, so excluding personally identifying information is important.

Thanks in advance!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Request for Race Data

Post by Darin McGrew »

Do you need times? Or is finish order enough for those of us without timers?
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Stan,
I'm involved in a total of three derbies, I believe all using timers.
Bad thing - they're all using slightly different rules. Will that matter?

I'll try to get you some data. I might have heat-by-heat data from a District race. Let me check.

Yes, I do have a file. But it's a 44 page .pdf. It lists all heats and results by Scout. Do you still want it?
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

One thing to consider when looking at the data. How is the start detected? Optical sensor systems can add a lot of variability if it is the first car to break the beam.

Of course, other variables to consider are track profile, track length, start gate height, etc.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Heat by heat! With times if available. If CSV format is not available, PDF will do ... just makes a bunch more work for me to extract data and strip the P.I.I. before sending on.

I believe that the competition models being compared are independent of how the start was sensed, what the track looked like and the details of car specs.

No special coordination with me is needed... just email to me with the race file attached. I'll acknowledge receipt and ask questions if I don't understand something.
Stan
PeterT
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by PeterT »

Just sent you five years of data in CSV format, heat by heat with lane information, times, finish order, etc.

We strip personally identifiable information from race results and publish to our Pack website each year, so the data is already set to go.

When I first started doing this three years ago, it was because two dads asked for the data file. After stripping the PI info, I published to our website and did not have a chance to notify anyone. I did not want to make a big deal out of it, and would see both of those dads in another two days.

Much to my surprise, a completely different dad with whom I had never spoken emailed me 4 hours later with data analysis, graphs and histograms of the race results! So the tradition began. We've had a six-sigma guy take apart the data looking for lane bias as well as other insights.

Our local council refuses to provide race results, but there is an extremely well produced video we've bought each year which contains - among other things - complete race results data. Stan: if you think extracting race results from a PDF takes time, try from a DVD video!!! Um, no thanks!
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

One down, 49 to go! :)
Stan
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Stan,
The .pdf sheet should be in your inbox. Good Luck!
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.