How to determine proper age group

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
10range
Pine Head
Pine Head

How to determine proper age group

Post by 10range »

I need some wisdom and advice from you guys on how to handle a grouping. :scratching:

This year for our Awanan Race, we will be running 3 age groups of cars. We give the awards for speed and design out by age range. We have one family this year that decided to only build one car but they have three children and one is in each of the age ranges. In past years when we have had 2 or more siblings work on one car we have had a family class that is separate from the normal age ranges and this has worked well. This is the first time we have only had one sibling car.

Any ideas on which class to place this car in? I don't want to have them race in their own class and they could really use the encouragement of participating in the competition with one of the groups.

Thoughts or suggestions to give them the best experience and still be fair to everyone else?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to determine proper age group

Post by gpraceman »

We've had an Open division for our Awana races. That was for leaders, parents, and anyone else that was not a clubber. We did not race our Cubbies or Sparkies, but if any were interested in racing, we encouraged them to help mom or dad with an Open division entry.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

10range wrote:Any ideas on which class to place this car in?
:idk: Two options immediately come to mind:

1. Assign it to the class that is consistent with the age of the eldest sibling?

2. Let the family chose one sibling to represent the car (preferably the sibling which did the most work) and assign it to the class that is appropriate to that representative?
10range
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by 10range »

Thanks for the thoughts. At this point an open class really is not an option. We do a separate adult race a moth before the kids race so we can get the kids excited about their race. The kids race is this Sunday and I was just informed of this today.
Two options immediately come to mind:

1. Assign it to the class that is consistent with the age of the eldest sibling?

2. Let the family chose one sibling to represent the car (preferably the sibling which did the most work) and assign it to the class that is appropriate to that representative?
These were also my first two thoughts. My background is in automotive racing and if this situation arouse there the protocol is usually to put the competitor in the class based on the highest level they have raced in. You can usually race up a class but not down.