Custom Paint Stencils

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
TheJep
Apprentice
Apprentice

Custom Paint Stencils

Post by TheJep »

Has anyone here figured out how to create custom paint stencils? I have used some pre-made stencils like the flame ones you get from Derby Evolution...which are awesome and work perfect.

However, I am working on a very unique design with my son right now that will require a custom stencil to work. Any advice?

Thanks...
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Custom Paint Stencils

Post by Speedster »

Good Morning, Thejep. Welcome to DT.
Would you tell us the design you would like to accomplish? Briefly, there is an unlimited number of things you can do by reversing the procedure that you did with the flame decal. If you will explain your design, or send us a picture, let's see if we can't get you what you want.
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BallBoy »

You may want to take a look at frisket film. It is a clear, mildly sticky film that is easily cut with an X-acto knife into whatever design you want. I have used it may times. Frisket film is generally available at art supply and some craft stores. In the SLC area I know that Hobby Lobby has it.
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

You could try tracing it out on frog tape and then cutting it out. That's the painters tape you can find in places like Walmart that supposedly keeps a sharp edge. It's like the frisket film.

The other thing you could try is contacting Derby Evolution and see if its something he can do custom for you. I don't know if he is doing custom stencil work or not, but can't hurt to ask :)
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Do you have a local vinyl graphics shop? You can usually have them die-cut paint-mask vinyl for that kind of thing. Might be a a little pricey for a small run, though.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

If Thejep would get back to us I think we could help him. A stencil gives a lot of convenience but usually isn't necessary. Flames can be laid out with masking tape as can anything else. Hopefully he will send us his design and we might be able to open a new world for him on masking and refinishing techniques. We'll have to wait and see.
TheJep
Apprentice
Apprentice

Will post a rough cut picture...

Post by TheJep »

Thanks for the willingness to help. It is rough cut and nowhere near ready yet, but it is a copycat of this design:

https://youtu.be/

We have some wheel and axel limitations, but that is the body we have designed and cut. Sanding is happening right now, and I will be using metallic automotive paint. But painting the design work down inside of those frames will be tricky.

Thanks for your willingness to help.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Hello, Thejep,
I'm not sure from the pictures what paint design you want exactly but let me give you an example. I suspect an air brush was used for some of the design in the picture. If you don't do airbrushing, try this technique. Let's say you want a Red car with a large Yellow Smiley Face.
1. Paint the entire car Yellow and clear coat it. Let dry thoroughly. It's wise to clear coat the yellow in case paint sneaks under the tape that will be applied. Scuff the clear with a Scotch Brite pad.
2. Cut out a smiley face complete with eyes and smile and place it on the car. Cover the car and dust some black in the eyes and smile. Preferably use automotive Fineline tape. It will give a very clean line. Cover the eyes and smile.
3. Paint the entire car red. When dry to the touch unmask the smiley face and you have a red car with a Yellow smiley face. Apply several coats of clear. If you don't want to feel any imperfection over the smiley face, block sand the clear with 800 grit sandpaper and water until surface is flat and then apply 2 more coats of clear.

Anything you can cut out of tape can be transferred to the car. Automotive shops sell striping tape that has a 1/16" stripe, 1/8" space, and a 1/8" stripe in the event you are using stripes. The stripes themselves can be used or they can be used for a paint design that will later be removed. An artist with an airbrush can't be beat but we can come up with some radical designs using the above technique.

You stated you are using automotive paint. Are you referring to the Basecoat/clearcoat system? Are you applying the paint with a spray gun? If you have access to small amounts of this paint, more power to you. If not, I recommend Testors One Coat Lacquer.
Best of Luck and keep in touch.

Speedster
TheJep
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TheJep »

We started the shaping yesterday after rough cutting last week. Starting to look like something...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/101554258@N05/9718714244/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/101554258@ ... otostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/101554258@ ... otostream/
Lots of shaping still..you can see lots of symmetrical problems.

But I will try your approach Speedster. Thanks. While I have an airbrush, my son isn't old enough to do that justice. So I have had great success putting DuPont automotive in a rattle can and then using a DuPont hi-end clearcoat. It have been able to get finishes this way that make people think that we had someone else do it.

We are going to have some design work going down through the rail openings in the car and I think it will be tricky.

I think the car will be fast...but we'll see. lots of people gunning for us as we have never lost a race in the pack yet over 4 years and 2 boys.

Race is in 3 weeks and we have a lot of shaping, painting, axel work and wheel work to do.

Thanks...
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I think you're going to teach me something. How do you put Dupont paint in a rattle can? Or, did I misread that.

Best of Luck in your design work and your race.
TheJep
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TheJep »

DuPont in a rattle can is a fact.

Guys at the automotive shop have been doing it for me for a couple of years now. Any of their high end finishes can be put in a rattle can. Gets a fantastic finish. And the clear coats are the difference makers...particularly when you go with their metallics, which we do every year.

An easy way for my 9 year old to take control of the paint job.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I agree with you on the clear coats. They can't be beat for gloss. I knew the clear coats came in a special rattle can even though I buy clear by the quart. However, I did not know the base colors could be purchased in a rattle can. I have been retired for 9 years from body work and obviously am Out of Touch with the latest happenings. Thanks for the info. I will research it.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I can't get the photos. Do you have another way you might try?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Maximum Velocity has 5 new paint stencils available. I think there will be some mighty fancy paint jobs this year. He's also offering 10% off on orders.
Last edited by Speedster on Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »