2014 Season is approaching - Updated

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
dubldart340
Apprentice
Apprentice

2014 Season is approaching - Updated

Post by dubldart340 »

Well, it is that time of year where I start lurking more here on the board. We had our pack build workshop this past weekend and have a family fun race coming up in December followed by the official pack race in February. My twins are Webelos now and are pretty much doing their own builds now. My one son, the defending pack and district champion, is building another wedge since it worked so well for him last year. I am hoping to get him to add a little style to the shape, though. My second son is going all out and building a replica of Don The Snake Prudhomme's 1978 Army Plymouth Arrow Funny car and asked me to do Tom The Mongoose McEwen's English Leather Corvette to go with it.

The company I work for likes to have fun at work, so they asked me to set up a Pinewood race for the adults last week. We had 24-25 people build cars! I built my Mongoose and thought I would share some pics.

I hope to be back soon with pics of the boys' finished cars!
Last edited by dubldart340 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: 2014 Season is approaching

Post by Speedster »

Hey Buckeye, you're an artist. What a gorgeous car. I'm afraid I'm going to have to side with your son. I like his thinking. He's gonna whup Ya with the wedge. Did you airbrush the design on the front?
dubldart340
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by dubldart340 »

No, I made it with photoshop and mailing label material.

He may win, bu the mongoose is pretty fast. I came in forth place in the race at work and the loss was close.
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

I've heard several references to folks building custom logos and labels using the computer to create the graphic and then "mailing labels" to print the graphic to something that can be applied to the car.

Where do you find mailing label material big enough for your logo? Do they sell it in sheets other than the standard pre-cut sizes for mailing labels?

thanks,

birddog
dubldart340
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by dubldart340 »

birddog wrote:Where do you find mailing label material big enough for your logo? Do they sell it in sheets other than the standard pre-cut sizes for mailing labels?
I bought both regular white and "invisible" label material in 8 1/2 x 11 at Staples. I use the white on dark colored vehicles, or where I need white in the decoration, I use the invisible elsewhere, like on the Mongoose car. I have also seen online where you can buy sheets for making your own water-slide decals, but I have never tried them. You do have to watch with the mailing labels printed on an inkjet - they will not be waterproof!
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

dubldart340 wrote:The company I work for likes to have fun at work, so they asked me to set up a Pinewood race for the adults last week.
Man, I wish my employer would do something like that. :(
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

We have always used the Micromark decal paper when we make decals for our cars. These are printed using an inkjet printer then sealed using the same clear that we use over our paint.

dubldart340
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by dubldart340 »

Here are a few pics from the race at work. Like I said before, we had 24-25 people build cars and used loaners from me and others to make a 32 car field. It was cool to see adults have fun with what is usually considered a kids thing.

Derby Gurus
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Derby Gurus »

Nice work and great to see it happening with "big" kids. Chris
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Might we see pictures of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners if you happen to have them?
dubldart340
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by dubldart340 »

Speedster wrote:Might we see pictures of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners if you happen to have them?
I don't have good pictures, but I can do my best.
1st place was the red Ohio State Car in this pic:

2nd was my own Surfer Rat Rod in this pic. It was a loaner to someone else.

3rd was the white car in this pic. 3rd place was determined by running off the two Semi-final losers. My Mongoose Vette was the loser in that run-off.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Thanks for the pictures and the quality is fine. Since this was an Adult race, I was most interested in whether there was going to be a lot of "Wafer" or "Hershey Bar" type cars as they are often called.
Your cars did well. Congratulations !!
dubldart340
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by dubldart340 »

To be honest, most people made something that looked more like a real car. No one was really into the super high-performance. They just wanted to have fun. This is the way I try to teach the scouts in the build workshops, too.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

dubldart340 wrote:The company I work for likes to have fun at work, so they asked me to set up a Pinewood race for the adults last week.
I've actually run several races for companies holding a race for their employees. One company even flew me to Dallas for their event. One race was held in an airplane hanger of all places. One race was at a restaurant and as the race went on, cars were gaining weight (using silverware and salt and pepper shakers taped on). These races can be a really fun time for all. Just big kids having fun ;)
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
dubldart340
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: 2014 Season is approaching - Updated

Post by dubldart340 »

The Mongoose has a Snake and other cars:

We finished all of our cars for our pack's "Family Fun Race", which allows the Cubs to test and tune before the "Official" Race in February.

My one son built a replica of Don "The Snake" Prudhomme's 1978 Plymouth Arrow to go with my "Mongoose" Corvette. It came out great, but wasn't as fast as he wanted.

Image[/URL]

His Twin brother, like last year, made a traditional wedge, but stretched the wheelbase and gave the top profile some curve.

The wedge is very fast, so his brother is going to build a "Super Snake" for the official race. The Army car will be a show car now.

The Flamed "Super Goose" is a rail rider I built for their mom to race at the fun race.