The cars are coming along.

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

The cars are coming along.

Post by Scrollsawer »

Well, we are having some drama this year during our build. Broke the daughter' car in half yesterday. Decided to try and glue it back together, but in the meantime, as a fail-safe, we built another duplicate car from scratch.

After 6 hours clamped back together, we found that the broken car was actually pretty darned strong at the bond point. I decided to transform this formerly broken car into a 'back from the dead' car that I'm going to enter into the 'Open' race division.

Here's the 'Back from the Dead' car:

Also, I'm sure Whoda is wondering whatever happened to 'Cowabunga'. We're getting closer...

One week to go until the race. Will post more pics. As we get further along down the road.

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: The cars are coming along.

Post by Scrollsawer »

Here's some pics. of the hot dog car being painted tonight. Hope to get the body all assembled by tomorrow morning before heading off to work.

First, the wiener...

Then, the bun...

Now, if I can just manage to get my artistic wife to work with my other boy to get 'Cowabunga' finished, we should be ready to clear coat in the morning. That should give us 3.5 days for the clear coat to dry some before having to begin assembly and tune the cars.

All-in-all, we're doing 4 cars this year. I hadn't planned on 4, but resurrecting the daughter's car from the grave seemed appropriate.

Scrollsawer
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Scrollsawer wrote: Also, I'm sure Whoda is wondering whatever happened to 'Cowabunga'. We're getting closer...
Scrollsawer,
The 'Cowabunga' car ... Is Mooo-ooo-ving right along I might say.
Kids these days..
Can't get enough incouragement or a cheering along for what there makeing there cars look like.
I like the cars as they all are very cool looking cars. ;)

Thanks for the pics.. on the 'Back from the Dead' car..
And keep the build photos of the 'Cowabunga' car And 'Hot Dog car" flying & frying will ya!

I'm Cheering for ya! Team Scrollsawer.. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

whodathunkit wrote: Can't get enough incouragement or a cheering along for what there makeing there cars look like.
I like the cars as they all are very cool looking cars. ;)

Thanks for the pics.. on the 'Back from the Dead' car..
And keep the build photos of the 'Cowabunga' car And 'Hot Dog car" flying & frying will ya!

I'm Cheering for ya! Team Scrollsawer.. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Whoda.
Thanks for the feedback and encouragement! I'm pretty happy with the variety of designs we're doing this year. Glad the kids are getting more creative with their ideas.

More pics. soon! :lol:

Scrollsawer
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

I like very much that the hotdog car is being painted over a paper plate...while suspended on a fork. Well played, sirs, well played. :clap:
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Vitamin K wrote:I like very much that the hotdog car is being painted over a paper plate...while suspended on a fork. Well played, sirs, well played. :clap:
You should present it to the check-in judge on a paper plate. Serve it up!
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

On a more serious note, I see that you're using acrylic paints on your cars. When you clear coat, what product do you use?
Scrollsawer wrote: Now, if I can just manage to get my artistic wife to work with my other boy to get 'Cowabunga' finished, we should be ready to clear coat in the morning. That should give us 3.5 days for the clear coat to dry some before having to begin assembly and tune the cars.
Scrollsawer
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Can I get a side a fries with that?

Love all the cars. I like the second round use of the Green Lantern car design now in metallic orange. Very cool skull decal too. The cowabunga car is fall down funny. Will be good to know the aerodynamic implications of googlie eyes!

Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
tmack
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by tmack »

Amazing cars!...it would have taken me 20+ tries to keep the ID and OD of that circle perfectly round! LOL
You making RRs out of them as well?
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Vitamin K, TMack, Randy, Noskills, (and Whoda, of course :) ),

Yes, I got a kick out of the fork/plate usage when painting. We might just check in the hotdog car on a paper plate at weigh in! Great idea Randy!

TMack, The 'green lantern' style car (orange one) was done using a forstner bit on a drill press for the inside hole, and a scrollsaw to cut the outside ring. I did my first one at Mid America last year. I guess I like the shape, because we're entering two more of this design this Friday for our PWD. I doubt it's going to win any aerodynamic awards, but I seem to like the shape. They are all going to be rail riders. Drilled positive cant on the DFW wheels of all cars as well.

Noskills, the cowabunga car will also have felt cow ears glued to the sides of the car, just behind the front wheels. I'm curious to know if it can be manipulated to provide more drift into the rail (as Whoda suggested recently, lol). Maybe one ear up, and one ear tilted down? We'll see.

As far as the paint and the clear coat goes, the orange car got Testors One Coat Lacquer. 'Cowabunga' got Krylon spray enamel, and the hot dog car was done with those craft store acrylics that come in those small plastic bottles that you see at Hobby Lobby or Micheals. All cars will be getting clear coated tonight with Krylon 'Clear Gloss'. It works fine for my needs.

Now, on to the axles and wheels! :working:

Scrollsawer
Last edited by Scrollsawer on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

I've heard stories of Krylon clear coat "eating" acrylic paint. Might wanna spray a test piece if you've not already.
Scrollsawer wrote:As far as the paint and the clear coat goes, the orange car got Testors One Coat Lacquer. 'Cowabunga' got Krylon spray enamel, and the hot dog car was done with those craft store acrylics that come in those small plastic bottles that you see at Hobby Lobby or Micheals. All cars will be getting clear coated tonight with Krylon 'Clear Gloss'. It works fine for my needs.
Scrollsawer
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Vitamin K,

I've had okay experiences with Krylon Clear Coat over Acrylic paint. We do it on the boys' Raingutter Regatta' boats all the time with fine results.

I have clear coated 3 of the 4 cars tonight. I will clear coat the 4th car tomorrow night, then will post pics of all 4 cars for you to compare (enamels vs. lacquers vs. acrylics).

Regards,

Scrollsawer
MOFAST
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by MOFAST »

Good looking cars! That's a lot of hard work! Good Job!
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Scrollsawer wrote: I've had okay experiences with Krylon Clear Coat over Acrylic paint. We do it on the boys' Raingutter Regatta' boats all the time with fine results.

I have clear coated 3 of the 4 cars tonight. I will clear coat the 4th car tomorrow night, then will post pics of all 4 cars for you to compare (enamels vs. lacquers vs. acrylics).
Scrollsawer
Scrollsawer, and Vitamin K,
I've also have had some good experiences with useing krylon clear coat over acrylic brush paints.
on a few trucks and cars I've done in the past..

A few photos of some paint jobs done up useing krylon over acrylic craft brush paints.
Semi trucks:
yellow & Black Apple berrel acrylic for this 1954 chevy.
Candy apple red air brush paint brushed on for this car.
Then theres this vintage car done up useing Apple barrel craft white acrylic brush paint..
and some metallic green air brush paint brushed on... with testers gold model paint,
with the kylon cristal clear.
This car still looks as good as the day it was painted and clear coated.

Scrollsawer,
I hope you don't mind that I've posted a few I done up useing krylon also.
As I'm hopeing it will help inspire your kids..because I know there paint jobs will look..
'Cowabunga'.. 'Hot dog' .. 'Back from the Dead' .. AWESOME!!!!! ;)

Mark.
Aka, Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Wow, great looking cars/trucks Whoda! If those are Apple Barrell acrylics, then you're a heck of a lot better than us at using them. Looks like they are holding up to the clear coat pretty well too. Ours have held up well also, with the exception of one pink car that is fading over time. All of the others are holding up really well.

Scrollsawer