Performance Tracking Software

Provides software for Cub Scout Pinewood Derby, Awana Grand Prix, Space Derby, Raingutter Regatta or other similar races. Providing high quality software solutions that will help with planning and conducting your races.

Moderator: gpraceman

bracketracer
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Performance Tracking Software

Post by bracketracer »

quadad, I have six sensors on my new track. I had four sensors on my old track but I had it drilled so I could move two of the sensors around. When I bought the new track I decided to just install the max my timer could handle from the get go. I don't regret it. I use the PDT3 software right now, it records all six sensors and averages each sensor for me. The new version is a huge step up from the original. It will still export in a .csv format so it's easy to dump it into Excel, but if I could make a wish it would be for the software to calculate the intervals at a minimum. I could see where it might become "data overload" but I'll take that chance! lol!

Could there be columns like what's in Excel where you can narrow them up to hide the info when you don't want to see it?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

bracketracer wrote:but if I could make a wish it would be for the software to calculate the intervals at a minimum.
I'm not sure that I follow you on that. The sensor intervals?
bracketracer wrote:Could there be columns like what's in Excel where you can narrow them up to hide the info when you don't want to see it?
There are certainly a lot of possible configuration options for a car, so I do intend on making it so users can show only the desired fields (columns).
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
bracketracer
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by bracketracer »

gpraceman wrote:
bracketracer wrote:but if I could make a wish it would be for the software to calculate the intervals at a minimum.
I'm not sure that I follow you on that. The sensor intervals?
Maybe I need to call it something else? Incrementals?
I have one sensor at the bottom of the hill and another one foot after that and one a foot before the finish line. I need to know the time it took to travel between two sensors. Something like:
timer 3..............timer 4.................timer 5................timer 6
1.168__(.064)__1.232__(1.663)__2.895__(.062)__2.957
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

I think it's clear what you meant now. Maybe "segment" time is a good term ?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

quadad wrote:Maybe "segment" time is a good term ?
"Difference"? "Relative"?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

bracketracer wrote:Maybe I need to call it something else? Incrementals?
I have one sensor at the bottom of the hill and another one foot after that and one a foot before the finish line. I need to know the time it took to travel between two sensors. Something like:
timer 3..............timer 4.................timer 5................timer 6
1.168__(.064)__1.232__(1.663)__2.895__(.062)__2.957
I look at the sensor positions as "way points". So, basically you want to see the delta between way points.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I decided to open things up a bit and get some feedback on the data collection. Below is the list that has been compiled. Is there any other specific test items that should be added? The user will have the ability to pick which specific items they wish to display in the software.

Car Configuration:
+ Car Name
+ Race Class (configurable dropdown list)
+ Weight
+ Wheelbase
+ Rear Axle Distance
+ COM (X, Y and Z axis)
+ Drift Amount
+ Drift Distance
+ Lube
+ Fenders (configurable dropdown list)
+ Fender Notes

+ Prep Notes
+ Comments

Wheel Configuration:
+ Wheel Name
+ Wheel Type (configurable dropdown list)
+ Color (configurable dropdown list)
+ Mold#
+ Wheel Diameter
+ Wheel Diameter Front
+ Wheel Diameter Rear

+ Tread Width
+ Bore Diameter
+ Bore Diameter Front
+ Bore Diameter Rear

+ Wheel Gap
+ Weight
+ Spin
+ Notes FDW
+ Notes FNDW
+ Notes RR
+ Notes LR
+ Prep Notes
+ Comments

Axle Configuration:
+ Axle Name
+ Axle Type (configurable dropdown list)
+ Axle Type Front (configurable dropdown list)
+ Axle Type Rear (configurable dropdown list)
+ Diameter
+ Diameter Front
+ Diameter Rear
+ Camber Front
+ Camber Rear
+ Prep Notes
+ Comments

Run Session:
+ Session Name
+ Car Configuration (dropdown list of current configs)
+ Wheel Configuration (dropdown list of current configs)
+ Axle Configuration (dropdown list of current configs)

+ Track (configurable dropdown list)
+ Time (multiple sensor locations)
+ Tweaks
+ Lane (dropdown list)
+ Adjacent Cars (Yes/No)
+ Staging Notes
+ Comments
+ Completed Date/Time

EDIT1: Added in Mold#. Those fields in bold are mandatory, others are optional.
EDIT2: Changed Fenders to be a selection. Added in Fender Notes.
EDIT3: Changed the descriptions to names. Added in wheel Spin and Color. Now tying the car, wheel and axle configs together at the run session.
EDIT4: Broke out COM to X, Y, Z; Broke out Wheel Diameter and Bore Diameter to Front & Rear; Added Wheel Gap, Notes FNDW, and Tweaks
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Please do keep in mind that the user can get as generic or detailed as they like. The intention is to show only a minimum number of data fields initially. They can enable more data fields, if they wish, in the software settings screen.

The only mandatory data field for each will be the description.

Based on Mario's feedback, I've added a "Mold#" data field to the wheel config.
Randy Lisano

BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BallBoy »

I think that perhaps the fenders could be expanded slightly. The yes/no option is good, but there may be value in differentiating between front, rear, and full fenders. Maybe a field for fender type (none, front, rear, front+rear, full) or simply a field for fender description.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

BallBoy wrote:I think that perhaps the fenders could be expanded slightly. The yes/no option is good, but there may be value in differentiating between front, rear, and full fenders. Maybe a field for fender type (none, front, rear, front+rear, full) or simply a field for fender description.
Thanks, I'll change the "Fenders" to be a dropdown selection and add a "Fender Notes" field.
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Where I could use some more feedback is with the wheel data. Is there commonly any mixing of wheels from front to rear (diameter, tread width, weight or whatever)? Do I need to allow the user to break those out?

Also, those that are interested in wheel spin, are you collecting numerical data or is it text data?
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

The software is nearly complete.

This is not something that I have done before, but I will let members of the derby forums get a sneak peak at the software. You can download the software at http://grandprix-software-central.com/d ... _setup.exe. Keep in mind that it still needs some spit and polish and not everything has been tested thoroughly yet. There is no help file yet, but hopefully, I have made things intuitive enough to be self explanatory.

The Demo Mode does have some limitations. You will not be able to import or export data. The timer interface will work, so you can test it with your timer, but you won't be able to save the times. You also will not be able to manually enter run data. Hey, I've got to give people a reason to purchase a license!

Also, don't laugh at my sample data. I just threw data in there so I could see something in the screens.

If you want to provide feedback on it, please do. However, this late in the development process some requests may need to be added to the Version 2 worklist.
Randy Lisano

bracketracer
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by bracketracer »

gpraceman wrote:
The Demo Mode does have some limitations. You will not be able to import or export data. The timer interface will work, so you can test it with your timer, but you won't be able to save the times. You also will not be able to manually enter run data. Hey, I've got to give people a reason to purchase a license!
Randy, I tried to configure the software for my Arduino-based serial timer so I could see how it worked. I noticed that when I fill in the information to set it up under "other serial timer", when I save and exit I can't test it. When I go back to see what the settings are, it's blank again. Everything I entered is gone. I've used this timer with GPRM so I would think it should work with DDT shouldn't it? Does the demo version not save the timer info?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

bracketracer wrote:Randy, I tried to configure the software for my Arduino-based serial timer so I could see how it worked. I noticed that when I fill in the information to set it up under "other serial timer", when I save and exit I can't test it. When I go back to see what the settings are, it's blank again. Everything I entered is gone. I've used this timer with GPRM so I would think it should work with DDT shouldn't it? Does the demo version not save the timer info?
The software is still in Beta, so it has not been fully tested yet. DDT will have the same hardware support that GPRM does. Now that I got some other things crossed off the worklist, I'll work on the custom timer interface.
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

bracketracer wrote:Randy, I tried to configure the software for my Arduino-based serial timer so I could see how it worked. I noticed that when I fill in the information to set it up under "other serial timer", when I save and exit I can't test it. When I go back to see what the settings are, it's blank again.
I've posted an update that fixes the custom timer interface. The next time you run the software, assuming you have an Internet connection, it will let you know about the update.

I'll be working on the help file before I do the last full round of my testing, but if you run into anything else, let me know.
Randy Lisano