Wheel Bore Wax?

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Wheel Bore Wax?

Post by knotthed »

Can anyone suggest a good proven wheel bore wax for a scout workshop?

Something that can be bought in bulk, as opposed to every scout buying a $10 bottle?

Thanks
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Wheel Bore Wax?

Post by ngyoung »

Liquid Glass auto polish/finish works good. $30 for a can that will last multiple years and is a damn good on your own vehicles' paintjob.
http://m.advanceautoparts.com/mt/shop.a ... t_redirect

Does what is says, creates a clear, hard, glass like finish.

Apply with a thin layer with a pipecleaner, blow off any thick spot, let dry 15-20mins, buff off with clean pipe cleaner, blow out any debris, let cure over night before burnishing.

For graphite racing I have more recently read some have had success mixing graphite with the wax before applying.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

Yeah thats the $100 version. Works even better from what i hear but not many people are willing to spend that much money.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

Then of course, there is the DerbyWorx Bore Wax sold by us and other on-line vendors. Much less expensive and works well:
http://www.maximum-velocity.com/pinewoo ... lpolishing

Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Does a wax differ substantially from a polish? I have a bottle of Novus 2 that I plan to use to polish our bores.
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Vitamin K wrote:Does a wax differ substantially from a polish? I have a bottle of Novus 2 that I plan to use to polish our bores.
Agreed. Not sure I've ever understood whether or not there's a difference between Novus 2/3 prep and stuff like Legend or DDFH polish (Red Rocket), Legends, etc. Can someone clarify the difference in these?

We do Novus 2 and 3, then call it a day and proceed to burnishing well with graphite (we can't run oil). Are we missing any critical prep steps here? :?:

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

Novus is for the hills. The wax is for the valleys. Redrocket, Legend, Liquid Glass, etc are called a wax but are actually some other type of protective, possibly teflon, coating but for PWD jargon sake they are called wax since they are mainly based on products that are used like a car wax (ie Turtle wax). I believe of the popular ones used in PWD they do provide some level of scratch polishing but the bigger benefit is providing a coating that is smoother and harder then the plastic wheel. Here is a quote from another site that I think sums up how they all help on race day:
You run your car with a waxed, burnished bore... First the car runs on pure graphite, great fast runs, next you get down to where the graphite is almost gone and you are running on a graphite/Teflon mix, great fast runs, next your are running on mostly Teflon. These last runs are not as fast as the previous, but they are faster than the guy who ran out of graphite 3 runs ago.... I don't think the graphite and wax mix really, it is one layer on another, the wax is just the last layer, maybe the last couple runs during finals.
Now addressing the separate layers...Some guys have claimed to have success impregnating that wax with graphite when applying it to the wheel bore. I don't believe a ton of testing has been applied to that process yet. So, like a lot of speed tips, it is very anecdotal.

There really isn't a graphite only pro league to really prove out some of this. You kind of have to use your own judgement. I tend to give more weight to guys that I know have test tracks who still work with their own or other scouts when it is BSA derby season. For graphite only the one event currently that can really be a proving ground, I think, is the Mid-America derby. Otherwise there are so many that help their kids build fast cars but there is no way to know how good their competition was or how their track was set up to compare.
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

No offense but sticking strictly to economics the 16oz LG that I referenced can be bought on Amazon for around $20. That is a proven product that would make the equivalent of 64 bottles of most PWD vendor specific offerings. I can understand not wanting to go out and get a PWD specific solution if you could find something similar locally or that you could justify using for other non-PWD purposes. I was in that same boat when first catching the bug.
MaxV wrote:Then of course, there is the DerbyWorx Bore Wax sold by us and other on-line vendors. Much less expensive and works well:
http://www.maximum-velocity.com/pinewoo ... lpolishing

knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

I was kind of hoping someone had a viable head down to Autozone etc...solution....maybe the Liquid Glass is the closest to that.

Just trying to avoid suggesting a list of items totaling a lot of $$$ for the new tigers. I guess the good news is that if they get a vendor bottle of wax, it will still probably last them their scouting career.
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

Yes the LG was part of my, "I don't want to order anything" list.
Here is the full supply list that I gathered from local stores:
Axle prep: Pledge--for graphite
Axle prep: Dupont Chainsaver--for oil---Most big box
Bore "wax": Liquid glass---Locally from Advance auto but cheaper online
Axle polish: Brasso---For final axle polish after sanding, HomeDepot or other big box
Axle polish: Ultra Fine Waterproof Finishing Kit sku# 852400---Hobby Lobby, 400-12k grit sanding
Bore Polish: Novus 2--I couldn't find locally but you may be able to. Heard motorcycle shops may be your best bet.

Most of this, other then the aerosol, stuff can be divided up and taken home by scouts attending a workshop. The pack of sandpaper can be cut into 1/4-1/2" strips. You can use drinking straws that you seal up with a lighter to portion out the other solutions or get a pack of small empty bottles from hobby lobby.

I am actually in the process of doing this now, creating speed supply bundles, myself for our upcoming workshop. I have more then enough to divide up to all the scouts to last them multiple years.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

ngyoung wrote:There really isn't a graphite only pro league to really prove out some of this.
Perhaps "dry-lubricant only"? (If an event is truly identified as "graphite only", that would seem to forbid non-graphite treatments.)
ngyoung wrote:You can use drinking straws that you seal up with a lighter to portion out the other solutions...
:thinking: Can you elaborate?
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

FatSebastian wrote:
ngyoung wrote:You can use drinking straws that you seal up with a lighter to portion out the other solutions...
:thinking: Can you elaborate?
That was a camping first aid kit trick I learned to make little single use packs of neosporan, burn cream, or to make a water proof tube for q-tip or matches. Take a drinking straw, cut a piece slightly longer then what you want to put inside, soften one end with a lighter and crimp it closed, then fill with your solution and melt the opposite end and crimp.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

ngyoung wrote:That was a camping first aid kit trick I learned...
Neat! Of course, check that the solutions are not flammable (e.g., Brasso) and won't weaken soda-straw plastic! ;)
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Meguiars. Next wax 2.0. I use to use early in 2010. Found at walmart and autozone. Use to be in purple bottle.

Liquid glass I use to use on my motorcycle in 1993. And tried it in 2010 for bore.
they are the same one that makes and sells legends.
I got a sample of it for free in 2010.

so I tried that.

It was a time of testing many things and trial and error.

Those mentioned work. Just the legend s was provider of fastest times.
I have not tried derby worx. But I am sure it's just as good.

The liquid glass. Has a hard bonding agent. Tuff as nail Gardner if u ask me. After several application.

Legends from the same company has the same simular stuff as liquid glass. If I recall. Been 4 years since I spoke with them on the phone.

The difference was a addition to a additive that made it slicker.

Liquid glass on my motorcycle was a great finish and shine and harder surface. But it was a dust collector.

The guy on the phone from the company back then.

Said 10 coats of liquid glass. Would almost compare to two coats of legends.

The problem with that. Was that made the wheel bore much smaller. It did not work for me.

But tried it. To save some $$$.

If u go with the megs. Next 2.0.

It can be hit and mess. Mix well. Drying time is important. 2 to 3 days. Gently wipe off extra.
not as fast as times. But it does work. And is cheaper.