Geetting COM Under 1/2" ???

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Topspin.D
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Geetting COM Under 1/2" ???

Post by Topspin.D »

Does anyone have a design they would be willing to share where the car has a COM at or under 1/2"?

Photos or descriptions of weighting set up are appreciated.

We would like to try a really aggressive car at the district open race.

I should note we'd like to do this with standard wheel base and 4 wheels on the car. Long nose is ok.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Geetting COM Under 1/2" ???

Post by Stan Pope »

Body 1/4" thick. 2 oz 1/4" tungsten cubes 1/8" - 5/8" behind rear axle center. 2 oz 1/4" tungssten cubes 1/8"-5/8" ahead of rear axle center (rear axles in a section of wood 1/4"X1/4"). Thin/remove wood from body until weight with tungsten, body, glue for tungsten, axles, wheels approx 4.8 oz. (CM loc at this point is about 3/8" for your wheelbase. Add 0.2 oz flat trim weight to body to adjust CM location for best time. (The smaller CM location, the greater must be the toe-in on DFW, so there is a trade-off related to track length. Longer track wants smaller toe-in for best time.)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Topspin.D
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Topspin.D »

Thank you Stan!
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

I do it all the time. Usually i end up sliding my weights forward to get over .5"

I havent been very stable though going that aggressive. This build ended up around there. Cut a ladder body filled voids with Greatstuff. Cut the block to 5/8" then sandeddown till i saw daylight through the wood over the weight pocket the sloped the nose at the front axle hole.
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Stan's and Ngyoung's comments are pretty much what I do. Twelve 1/4 cubes behind the rear axle when axles holes are drilled 5/8" from the rear of the car body. Total weight of wood, wheels, glue, axles, paint, lube, decorations' clear coat should be at or very near 1 ounce in weight. 24 tungsten cubes, or close to it, should represent the remainder of the 4 ounces of weight. 13-14 (or 13 plus tungsten putty trim weight) placed where Stan mentioned in front of the rear axles is key. This is much easier for me using a ladder design or a Sporty spoon design. Don't forget the importance of taking a precise scale to a scout shop and weighing as many unopened Derby kits as needed to get a couple of kits that weigh a lot less than all the others. This will give you a head start when trying to cut weight down on the car body.

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Dave,ditto. You need a super light car. We did not quite get there. Had COM of 0.5 with 23 cubes and putty. With lighter wheels I have gotten 24 cubes and a COM of 3/8th but that was not a scout car. You should be able to make a light enough sporty spoon, I have seen you do it.
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Topspin.D
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Topspin.D »

Thanks guys... I'm going a standard base car. This string was from about 2 years ago when I did that "Stanford" fender car. We're giving it another shot this year (with Spoons in reserve in case it doesn't work out).

But like I said... last standard base cars weren't so good - I should qualify that.... good enough for winning our pack but not even close for district.

We have a test track now so I'll play around with moving the weight around... was just hoping you could give some advanced tips and shortcut the development process for us.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Scrollsawer wrote:Don't forget the importance of taking a precise scale to a scout shop and weighing as many unopened Derby kits as needed to get a couple of kits that weigh a lot less than all the others. This will give you a head start when trying to cut weight down on the car body.
This forever tickles me. I know it's perfectly reasonable, given the vast variances in wood density, but still...

*stands up at meeting* "Hi, I'm Chuck. This is my first time at a Pineheads' Anonymous Meeting."

(everybody else) "Hi Chuck!"

"Thanks. So, my story started the same as so many others. My kid was in cub scouts...we did the derby and...I just got really interested you know? It was pretty tame at first...browsing internet forums, buying new tools now and again...but next thing you know I'm sitting in the floor of the scout store, pocket scale out, boxes all around me, and I'm weighing them in turn while this scout and his mom look on in bewilderment..."

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Vitamin K,

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. :paperbag: :idk:

Other than the upcoming Mid-America, Team Scrollsawer is officially retired. We are bridging to Boy Scouts this year. I'm sure there will be a 12 step program in my future. :eek:

Oh wait...our neighbor's kid is a wolf cub, and his dad doesn't have any tools or know the tricks of the trade. Hmmm..... :thinking:

Scrollsawer
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

Oh come on Scrollsawer. Feed your habit with some league racing!
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

ngyoung wrote:Oh come on Scrollsawer. Feed your habit with some league racing!

:bigups:
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Guys, let's please keep this forum about the kid's races.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Topspin.D
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Topspin.D »

Vitamin K wrote: but next thing you know I'm sitting in the floor of the scout store, pocket scale out, boxes all around me, and I'm weighing them in turn while this scout and his mom look on in bewilderment..."

Been there too. What's wrong with that? :oops:

I think I asked them to bring another box out of the back when I couldn't find enough "acceptable" kits on the shelf....
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Topspin.D wrote:
Vitamin K wrote: but next thing you know I'm sitting in the floor of the scout store, pocket scale out, boxes all around me, and I'm weighing them in turn while this scout and his mom look on in bewilderment..."

Been there too. What's wrong with that? :oops:

I think I asked them to bring another box out of the back when I couldn't find enough "acceptable" kits on the shelf....
:dance2:
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

This year I bought 2 cases of cars for the pack...happy day having those in the privacy of my our garage for a few weeks. :bigups:
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite