Nellie faye / Mod

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Nellie faye / Mod

Post by sporty »

I bought a body from derby evolution.

I was pretty impressed. I just didn't feel like using the dremel to route out a body, I wanted a nice clean look. And so I thought Id try the body that was sold for also using the Nellie fenders.

Also, I hear, That derby evolution will be offering the Nellie fenders again, real soon.

I recall a few of you, were wanting them, a few weeks ago.

Here is my current progress photos. I ended up doing something different, I wanted to tinker with the design a bit. and I also used a red dye to cover the wood. I have not clear coated it yet.

But I wanted to try some left over red dye that I have left over from doing one of my guitars.

Let the tinkering begin--

red dye time, this dye is for wood.

Now some spots, where the glue came out of the side from gluing the fender, can be seen, dye will not cover glue..

What ya think ? I changed it up a bit, first time trying it, I few spots are not as I would like. But it was just a first try and tinker and I think it looks okay. Maybe some different shaping or more refined on the front nose. not sure.

I want to get some clear coat on it and see how the dye will look. different woods have a different effect.

For those who might ask, about possible, wood warping or twisting. I know it seeps into the wood, about 1mm deep.

You can add to much and soak the wood. but when applied right, it should not create a warping issue, maybe some light fuzz. and need to light be sanded a bit.

every wood is different. this is bass wood. and balsa.

my guitar was flamed maple, and mahogany.

Sporty
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Nellie faye / Mod

Post by whodathunkit »

Nice looking Nellie Faye / Mod Sporty!

I like how you used the red wood dye for this one. :thumbup:
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I like your design. I'm going to copy it. Has anyone ever attached fenders with very small screws and then covered the screw heads with striping tape or some decoration? I have to use slots and I want the axles tight. I don't know how to install the wheels with fenders that are glued on. I push axles in with the drill press and I know you do too. Suggestions?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Speedster wrote:I like your design. I'm going to copy it. Has anyone ever attached fenders with very small screws and then covered the screw heads with striping tape or some decoration? I have to use slots and I want the axles tight. I don't know how to install the wheels with fenders that are glued on. I push axles in with the drill press and I know you do too. Suggestions?
The pro axle guide tool works well from derby worx. That's what used. One of my Nellie cars has slots.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Sporty,
Are you planing on doing something to stiffen up the back axel area on this mod?
Sometimes all the T-cubes attached to thin plywood top can crack the back axle .

Diden't see the axle stiffners used in your photos..
Maybe your not to that part of the car build or ready to ad the weights. :idk:
Anyhow call it a Tip.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

One thing about the Nellie Faye design, is that the 'wrap around' in the rear of the fender necessitates that the rear axle come forward, about a quarter inch. Would you say that this hurts performance?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Sporty, when I build a car without fenders I push against the side of the car and use the pro axle guide tool. When I install wheels on the opposite side of the car I have a board with a hole the wheel sets in and I'm still pushing against the side of the car. Am I understanding correctly that you are pushing against the fenders?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Speedster wrote:Sporty, when I build a car without fenders I push against the side of the car and use the pro axle guide tool. When I install wheels on the opposite side of the car I have a board with a hole the wheel sets in and I'm still pushing against the side of the car. Am I understanding correctly that you are pushing against the fenders?
Use it from the bottom. Clamp it on. And tap the axle in.

And others. The car is not done.

Yes. I will have something over the weight pocket area.

The car is not finished.

Sporty
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

Vitamin K wrote:One thing about the Nellie Faye design, is that the 'wrap around' in the rear of the fender necessitates that the rear axle come forward, about a quarter inch. Would you say that this hurts performance?
Absolutely. You should only consider this if you are forced to use the stock wheel locations.

Edit - I should qualify the above with "if speed is your top concern".
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

You should have the wheel hole or slot location relieved ahead of installing fenders. Use a spare axle the get the holes loose enough that you can just push them in with your thumb when installing the wheels after you're done with the fenders.

Speedster wrote:Sporty, when I build a car without fenders I push against the side of the car and use the pro axle guide tool. When I install wheels on the opposite side of the car I have a board with a hole the wheel sets in and I'm still pushing against the side of the car. Am I understanding correctly that you are pushing against the fenders?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

ngyoung, that presents a problem for me because I use the screw technique for the rears and I need them tight. Our wheels must sit straight up and down so I can move the axle just enough to make the wheels migrate to the nail head. Also, if the DFW axle is that loose, even if I use an axle Made in China to open the slot, I find it doesn't hold its place as I adjust it for the best time on my track. The Trials and Tribulations racing in the Commodore Perry District are immense. Building a 3 wheel rail rider that doesn't look like a 3 wheel rail rider is difficult for me. However, we'll never give up.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Sporty
Laserman
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Laserman »

Oh my, my, my, my my, my my,

Now isn't that pretty!

The stain looks great.

The aero mod on the Nellie Faye shows that you have your finger on the pulse as always.

We should both give credit where due though. (I am working on a similar design)

Lightninboy's X3 design was my inspiration.

I think there is something to those trailing fenders.

He isn't the fastest man onBSA wheels for nothing!

You make those look effortless Ryan.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I been sick lately, really slowing me down to not being able to get what I need or want to get done.

I had a plan to have this car done by today, however. Its been more like laying in bed.

Theres allot of great builders out there, with some great designs and attention to detail.

I'm just tinkering. Just having fun. My goal is not super speed anymore. But trying to find a bit of creativity without going slower, then if I had not done a fender.

Heres a couple more pictures. about the same as before.

Just more wet sand, rubbing compound and polishing compound.

If I get feeling better. Ill get to getting more done,

I'm actually interested in a mold, super light, featherlite plastic, you can buy to make molds. its a lighter plastic.

I think we are going to see more molds of fenders, to come into the mix. the shapes and thinness of the wood, becomes easy to break, but even harder for most people to shape.

and they would just like to bolt on or glue on a set of fenders.

We have seen fenders molds out there for years, but the designs and shape were not ideal. But molding plastic and the super featherlite plastic you can get and make a mold and cast resin with are going to much more seen.

Sporty
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

here is what I am thinking of buying and using.

http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Plast ... index.html

0r

http://www.reynoldsam.com/product/feather-lite/

floats on water.