Dremel Derby Days

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Dremel Derby Days

Post by ah8tk »

It seems that voting has been completed in the 2016 Dremel Derby Days, in this competition they were giving away a 3D printer. The winners have been announced on the Dremel Facebook page, not sure if this can be seen without being a member of Facebook. But here are the winners, I’m assuming in order:

The winner is a plastic model body on a piece of wood, they even used the wheels and tires from the model. This almost seems like an easy way out. I have never entered this contest, maybe next year I can enter the car I built for the Maximum Velocity, Pinewood Derby Times last year.

In searching the web to find other cars entered into this competition I found this this can’t be all that were entered?

I also found the entries for the 2014 contest.
Nelvis
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Dremel Derby Days

Post by Nelvis »

Wow really? :? These are the top 3 entries? A plastic model and two pinewood entries that appear to have been randomly grabbed from a local pack race? I should have entered I guess.
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

It looks like this is based on Facebook voting. So the way to win is you get all of your friends to vote for your car, or your son's car, and you win. So this is a popularity contest...
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

If you can use a plastic model I would use a Nascar body and adjust the wheelbase a bit and use Pinewood Derby wheels. Maybe better, Revell has a "FunnyCar" body with McDonalds decals the kids love.
mustangcrusie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mustangcrusie »

Greetings All,

Just an FYI, I'm the one who built the '54 Corvette. It's interesting to see/hear the reaction from people who think it's a plastic model. Well,I can tell you that it's not. Granted, the chrome pieces are from a model but the car itself is from the standard pinewood derby block and side kits. I attached an image below showing the car after is was roughly cut out. The goal of this car was to make a very close replica of the real car. I spent over 130 hours making it. A lot of the time was spent involving sanding the wood so each piece fit exactly. I eventually had to get a second model kit just to have nice chrome pieces. The ones from the first kit were worn so much from getting them to fit exactly. I also spent a lot of time carving the interior which includes the seats, transmission tunnel, door panels, and dash. The second attached picture shows the interior. As for the paint, I had the local auto body supply store custom match the paint of the real car and both the interior and exterior were professionally painted at one of the local auto dealers. Before the car was painted, it was shot with primer and then I spent hours block sanding so it was very, very smooth. And, a few more pieces of information, the lines for the hood, doors and trunk are all hand carved with my dremel. The side chrome pieces were custom made and then hand foiled.

So, all in all, my goal to create a very close replica came true.

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Beautiful Job !!! You deserved to win.