What is your “real job”?

Topics not relating to derbies, regattas or cubmobile races.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: What is your “real job”?

Post by Darin McGrew »

having_wandered wrote:I push little plastic keys and click mouse buttons all day long. I also talk on the phone a lot...often to a computer on the other end. Somehow I get paid for that.
LOL! That sounds familiar. Except for the talking-on-the-phone part. We tend to use IM (except for conference calls). But lots of key tapping and mouse clicking...

Welcome to Derby Talk!
thecapotc
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by thecapotc »

By work hours I'm a Process/Manufacturing Engineer for an electronics manufacturer. We go back and forth between being a psuedo-OEM (government work) and contract manufacturer.

At home I have a wife, four kids, a dog, a cat, and a house in constant repair.
Our two boys are in AWANA, one is almost 7 and the other almost 4. Our oldest girl just turned 2 and her sister is nearly 5 months.

And for some reason I'm threatening my wife's sanity by looking for a local cub scout pack for my boys.

C2
ZebsRacing
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by ZebsRacing »

Hey all,

I am a Mechanical Engineering Assistant at day working in a shop with with my brain and hands.

By night im superdad. Although.. the wife thinks my newfound obsession (PWD Racing) is indeed already bugging her!
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I work a lot with wood, plastic and steel. My job often requires I work late into the night. The stress sometimes becomes unbearable. January, February and March are always my busiest months. The warm summer months in Ohio are spent with a lot more track time in the testing lab. Yep. I'm RETIRED !!!
ZebsRacing
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by ZebsRacing »

Sounds like a hard knocks life, 35 ft track and I will have my own little paradise. Maybe I will get a three laner so we can replace our packs old track with something a little mainstream. I promised my wife I wouldnt make PWD my mistress, but I have an itch.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

Patrol officer in large city. Secondary jobs on the department are Pursuit and Non-Emergency driving instructor, Field Training Officer and FTO Instructor. I wasn't as successful as BlackLotus on 1st page is. That was a, now hilarious, disaster 26 yrs ago :idk: .

20 yrs ago I bought an old 1956 CJ-5 that my dad and I rebuilt and modified for offroad and street duty. I would be driving that in any free time I had if I could. Seems like all of life's stresses go away when I'm chugging that thing down the road or through a rough trail.

Once I found this site, MOFAST gave me some excellent info that helped us get faster (1st place NorthernStar Council last year). Still using the same spray you turned us onto for our axles MOFAST. :bigups: I think a touch of undiagnosed OCD kicked in related to these darn wooden cars.

My kids are still young and taking up a bunch of my time.

Awesome thread!
kcarchitect
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by kcarchitect »

Holy Dead Thread Resurrection! I'm an architect, and my kids are probably the only ones that get to have dad layout an AutoCAD template (following their directions for design) for them to print and cut their cars out from. We model the car in 3D so we can adjust the shapes, contours, etc. in the computer first and it helps him visualize what we are trying to make the block of wood look like. After we print the templates we glue them to the block of wood, then cut close to the lines with the bandsaw. All the fine tuning is done on the belt sander and dremel.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Speaking of "Holy Dead Thread Resurrection", I made the second post in this thread over 9 years ago. I haven't involved in PWD since my son graduated to Boy Scouts 8 years ago. Why am I back? I have no idea what led me back, or how long I'll stay. Although I still get Randy's monthly newsletter. I emailed him last year saying I've been out of PWD for 8 years but I still enjoy reminiscing about it.

My obsession since PWD had been acoustic guitars. Vintage Yamaha FG acoustic guitars for the past 6 years. I find and fix them. I've collected a huge amount of data on them and started a forum and later a website to share it. Something to keep me busy, AND it's still working with wood!!!!
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Hi there, Pinewood Daddy. Welcome back.
In case you are not aware, the Girl Scouts are growing very quickly regarding the Pinewood Derby. This is probably due to the Ford Motor Company and Randy Lisano. Something to keep you busy would be to share your knowledge with the Girl Scouts and teach them science behind building a fast car.
Again, Welcome Back.

Someone who just made me laugh is our newest member, Coffin Nail Racing. That's got to be one of the most unique Derbytalk names ever submitted. I hope he/she tells us the story behind that name.
Coffin Nail Racing
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Coffin Nail Racing »

Ok, so what's my real job ... a question my parents, friends and wife have asked all my life.

Why you ask? ... well ... I'm an Artist & Cartoonist and needless, very few people think that's a "real" job .... honestlyi question it myself sometimes. But it's what I do and always have.

Now you're thinking "what kind of art do you do" ... well I do a lot of cheesecake pinup cartoon stuff, hot rod art and a bunch of other stuff.

Probably explains why I'm poor and don't do as much racing as I'd like.

And that leads us to the question Speedster asked ... how/why did I come up with "Coffin Nail Racing" as a user name. My first pinewood race was a race a Car Club put on and it sounded like fun to build then race a car at the event. I didn't know anything about pinewood racing so when I got the kit I figured I wasn't likely to win so I may as well try to build something kinda cool and with a back story.

So I carved and whittled at that rectangular block with the one tool I had, a Swiss Army knife.
In the end I had a car that looked like a black chop top '32 Ford with a casket shaped hood which I named ... wait for it ...... "Coffin Nail"

At the race the car failed horribly, it bounced back and forth down the rail and didn't even make it to the timer gate. Even the kids there had better cars .... ouch.

That disappointed made me question what went so wrong and I went on a quest to do better with the car. I researched "pinwood derby", joined pinewood forums and read until my eyes bled, learned I had done EVERYTHING WRONG , then chopped up the car some and shipped it off to a real race ....

... the 2016 Mid America Championships (time to sink or swim).

Well the car was still far from fast compared the insane number of Pro racers it was up against.
But it was just fast enough to beat ONE car with it's 3.somthing average times.
Hey it made it to the timer this time !

And thus "Coffin Nail Racing" was born ..... ain't you glad you asked, lol.
Coffin Nail Racing
Apprentice
Apprentice

Speedster wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:57 pm Hi there, Pinewood Daddy. Welcome back.
In case you are not aware, the Girl Scouts are growing very quickly regarding the Pinewood Derby. This is probably due to the Ford Motor Company and Randy Lisano. Something to keep you busy would be to share your knowledge with the Girl Scouts and teach them science behind building a fast car.
Again, Welcome Back.

Someone who just made me laugh is our newest member, Coffin Nail Racing. That's got to be one of the most unique Derbytalk names ever submitted. I hope he/she tells us the story behind that name.

Your wish has been granted.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Thank you, Coffin Nail Racing. Welcome to Derbytalk. That was a very interesting story.
Derbytalk has a Topic titled "Car & Semi-Truck photos. Might we see a picture of your car?
Coffin Nail Racing
Apprentice
Apprentice

Speedster wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:40 am Thank you, Coffin Nail Racing. Welcome to Derbytalk. That was a very interesting story.
Derbytalk has a Topic titled "Car & Semi-Truck photos. Might we see a picture of your car?
Posted 👍