Opinions of the group

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Opinions of the group

Post by davet »

To take the argument of limiting modifications to it's logical end one would have to conclude that the best way to deal with this would be to give each kid their own kit. Then, tell them they can have no help from anyone and cannot use any tools and they can only use what's in the kit. This way all would be on level ground. This is not the purpose of the derby.

Before we learned how to build faster cars my son learned a lot when he lost. The lessons aren't are in the trophy. It's in the time spent together with an adult, using tools, understanding concepts, making mistakes and fixing them, being a good sport in winning and losing, sharing knowledge with others, making lasting memories.

If a kid can't build a fast car, for whatever reason, don't blame the slow car or the rules or the faster racers if he doesn't learn any lessons from the event, blame the adults around him.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Davet, your last line says a lot. Unfortunately, blaming someone, even if they deserve it, doesn't help the scout. I know we all do what we can and that's Reality.
Thank You all for your opinions. A special Thank You to those who do Workshops.
Best
Speedster
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

Speedster, what I mean is whether the kid builds a fast car or a slow car, the boy won't learn much if an adult isn't there acting as a mentor.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

davet, I know what you mean and I know the effort you and so many others put in helping these young scouts. I applaud you all. I wish we all could do more. Keep up the Great Work.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Speedster wrote:A special Thank You to those who do Workshops.
You're welcome.

Honestly, we spend more effort running the workshops than we do running the derby itself. And I think that's the right balance. The point isn't to race wooden cars down an inclined track. The point is to promote adult-child interaction.