infra red timers - why is the receiver on the bottom?

General timing system discussions.
madumi
Apprentice
Apprentice

infra red timers - why is the receiver on the bottom?

Post by madumi »

Just thought I'd throw this one out there, as I'm sure there must be a simple explanation... When I've been looking at many DIY timers, it seems that the transmitting LED is placed on top, the receiver on the bottom. Isn't that a recipe for interference from the ambient light?

Or is the flash of reflected light from cars finishing a worse situation to have to deal with if the receiver were to be placed on top? :scratching:
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: infra red timers - why is the receiver on the bottom?

Post by gpraceman »

It is less likely that the light will bounce off the track, then bounce off the underside of the car and then blind the sensor to the passing of the car over it.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
madumi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by madumi »

aaah, that makes sense... so, it would be one step better to paint that section of the track black also?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

madumi wrote:aaah, that makes sense... so, it would be one step better to paint that section of the track black also?
Absolutely

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

The Judge timer from newdirections does have the light source in the track and the sensors on the bridge. In my experience it has the least issue with light reflectivity.

Maybe better than flat black paint is to reduce the size of the aperture in the track. An 1/8 inch hole is big enough so sense the light, but too small to allow reflectivity.

For more information:
http://www.maximum-velocity.com/pinewoo ... imes-v7i2/