Big Dreams for a Big Rig - but smaller

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Big Dreams for a Big Rig - but smaller

Post by Speedster »

Eagle, I can't find an email from you. Would you please send it again.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Eagle and Speedster, you guy's crack me up!
Seem's my build for speed now or day's is in how fast I can get it done in the looks dept. ( I'll leave the dept of speed up to you two guy's! )

Have any of you guy's ever seen a big rig 18 wheeler racing kit for the Awana Grand Prix?

( I my self don't know if there is such a kit.. not that i know of anyway.. because I have never seen a big rig 18 wheeler kit used for Awana's .)
Some one that races in Awana's will have to chime in with the answer .. to which I am asking.. because I do not know my self if there is or was such a 18 wheeler kit!

However guy's ..
I have seen some big rig 18 wheeler's built for Awana's clubs.. in a few of the topics here on derby talk in the past.
Let me see if i can recall where I've seen them at!
ciodude as it seems to me.. has some topics where iv'e seen some Awana big rig 18 wheeler's at.
https://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php ... rig#p61609

However looking at the wheels in his pic's for the Awana's 18 wheeler ..
it look's to me to that the early BSA 18 wheeler rig kit was used for his Awana's rig. (based off what I'm seeing for the wheels used.)

Eagle and Speedster, ( I'm not picking on the two of you in any way .)
But do you know if there is such an Awana's kit for big rig 18 wheeler racing in Awana's clubs ?

mclewis_13 is looking to build to his rig much smaller scale with a Awana's kit ..
maybe like this one.
https://www.awana.org/product/awana-gra ... truck-kit/

Mclewis_13 all the Best with your Awana's little big rig build.. Hope to see your Build pic's soon!

whoda.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Loud2ns »

whodathunkit wrote:
Have any of you guy's ever seen a big rig 18 wheeler racing kit for the Awana Grand Prix?
I'm not aware of a specific kit offered from Awana. Wheels and axles are cheap enough to do a custom build.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Only been invited to one Awana event. But, based on minimal search, including some history and Awana info I would say there is no such kit.

The Awana wheels are very specific. Cars have to fit in a box. So, I would say a 4 or 6 (all singles) would be all you could do at an Awana race.

I have a couple students who want to build a Big Rig for their class competition cars. Because of the width of the MA class rules they will have to do the aforementioned. Or, I keep encouraging them to build a Big Rig and race in that class.

I have yet to figure out a way to grade if they do the later. So, as of now that means they would have to do two builds.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Speedster,
Original message sent Nov 29. Resent just now.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Whoda said, "Seems my build for speed now day's is in how fast I can get it done in the looks dept."

You are a true inspiration. And, in the long run your rigs will be remembered long after the race. They are true works of art. Please continue to do what you do. I know it makes me work harder.

One of the first car shows I went to (entering my custom '50 Merc), I went to the award ceremony. I just wanted to see which if any of the cars I liked won. When my name was called I was shocked. When I went back to my seat one of the old timers (whose wife's car was one of my picks) said, "you know what the best cars are right?" I thought that was a bit of a trick question. So I said no what are they. He said, "They are the ones that make people ask questions." He said, I watched your car all day and even the guys that didn't talk to you were talking to each other - good job!
mclewis_13
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by mclewis_13 »

Ok. So progress update. I have a scaled drawing and did a poster board mock up and put it on my official AWANA block and wheels so I could make sure it wasn’t too tall. All seems to be lining up ok. The Blue line in the profile side shot is going to be the cross section of my base pine car. I plan on hollowing out a lot of it and hiding all my weights in the voids. I’ll post more when I actually start making saw dust.

Also to answer the AWANA race questions, the Grand Prix as I know it has only ever been the 7” max length pine cars and I’ve been in/doing/leading AWANA for the last 35 years.

Not saying my answer is the end all be all, but if AWANA makes a big rig kit they don’t sell it in their store.
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Loud2ns »

mclewis_13 wrote:Image

Ok. So progress update. I have a scaled drawing and did a poster board mock up and put it on my official AWANA block and wheels so I could make sure it wasn’t too tall. All seems to be lining up ok. The Blue line in the profile side shot is going to be the cross section of my base pine car. I plan on hollowing out a lot of it and hiding all my weights in the voids. I’ll post more when I actually start making saw dust.

Also to answer the AWANA race questions, the Grand Prix as I know it has only ever been the 7” max length pine cars and I’ve been in/doing/leading AWANA for the last 35 years.

Not saying my answer is the end all be all, but if AWANA makes a big rig kit they don’t sell it in their store.
That sucks that you need the stock wheelbase!

mclewis_13
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by mclewis_13 »

No, as the AWANA commander I am in charge of the rules. Modification of the wheelbase is totally allowed! 8)

I just haven’t redrilled them yet. I literally just have a block of wood 4 axles 4 wheels and a dream.
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Loud2ns »

mclewis_13 wrote:No, as the AWANA commander I am in charge of the rules. Modification of the wheelbase is totally allowed! 8)

I just haven’t redrilled them yet. I literally just have a block of wood 4 axles 4 wheels and a dream.
Phwew, I get it now! What state are you in?

Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Loud2ns I think he is just showing us which side is the bottom. His pics have the extended wheelbase drawn on.

Different truck, but here are some pics of some Awana builds. I helped a couple boys who didn’t have a Dad in their lives with their builds.ImageImageImage

We Flipped the blocks and cut the original slots off.
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Loud2ns »

Eagle wrote:Loud2ns I think he is just showing us which side is the bottom. His pics have the extended wheelbase drawn on.

Different truck, but here are some pics of some Awana builds. I helped a couple boys who didn’t have a Dad in their lives with their builds.ImageImageImage

We Flipped the blocks and cut the original slots off.
Yeah, at first I thought he was retrofitting the plan to fit the stock wheelbase. That's why I asked.
Those trucks look nice. That's a very nice thing to do for someone in need.

Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Any clue what kind of wood the Awana blocks are?

And/or why they are all shorter than 7"
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Loud2ns »

Eagle wrote:Any clue what kind of wood the Awana blocks are?

And/or why they are all shorter than 7"
No clue

mclewis_13
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by mclewis_13 »

This is my truck from last year. I never got time to paint it, so it just got a coat of glossy and i took a sharpie marker to it.

It doesn't look like much, but it was quick. We didn't have timers or anything last year, just some poor guy that I prayed over before we started the races whose job it was to eyeball the finish line and say who won.... needless to say that is why we now have our own track/timer this year! The kids winner that year was eyeballing my truck after we had the adult races and wanted to race me real bad after the event. I warned him, that he didn't want to. He insisted on it, and I had the pastor line us up (the pastor is his dad). He older brother strapped his go pro to it so we could make our promo video for next year. Here is the result of that race.

His is the black car still trying to cross the finish line.

That's sad to hear about the kids that don't have dads in the house. That is the reason why I host so many pit days before the Grand Prix, a lot of kids with no dads and a lot of families with no tools. I want more than anything for this to be fun and not a burden.