Roadway Racers axles

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Roadway Racers axles

Post by Speedster »

I stopped in a different Hobby Lobby today and saw a package of 5 axles for $1.99 by Roadway Racers. The axles do not have any casting marks on them, the heads look good, they are .087 all the way down and they seem straight. They have a smooth point end as opposed to a chisel type. The shaft appears a bit rough but there will be a small amount of the axle being used by the bore. They were made in China and perhaps by the same company the BSA used to make wheels and axles. I'd be interested in knowing what the Derbytalk folks think of them.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Roadway Racers axles

Post by Vitamin K »

I mean, unless they've got the BSA stamp on them, you can't legally use them in races that call for BSA-only stuff, right?

My favorite cheap non-BSA axles still remain the ones by Awana. So straight and smooth and thick! They're great, and like two bucks for a set of ten, I think.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Yep, you are correct. They would not be legal when the rules say you must use BSA stuff if you're racing scouts.

Where do you buy Awana axles? The only ones I can find are from Maximum Velocity, 4 for $8,95.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Speedster wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:27 pm Yep, you are correct. They would not be legal when the rules say you must use BSA stuff if you're racing scouts.

Where do you buy Awana axles? The only ones I can find are from Maximum Velocity, 4 for $8,95.
You can order them directly from the Awana store. Obviously there's shipping, so it might make sense to buy more than one pack. https://www.awana.org/product/awana-gra ... pare-axles
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Thank you.
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Loud2ns »

Vitamin K wrote:
Speedster wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:27 pm Yep, you are correct. They would not be legal when the rules say you must use BSA stuff if you're racing scouts.

You can order them directly from the Awana store. Obviously there's shipping, so it might make sense to buy more than one pack. https://www.awana.org/product/awana-gra ... pare-axles
I ordered some replacement wheels and replacement axles this past fall from Awana. The wheels were pretty rough(I almost think someone sorted through and returned the subpar wheels). The axles I received were all poorly plated with a rougher texture. This would make them fairly small diameter when polished smooth. I think Awana may have switched suppliers as the wheels are different and the axles are different.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I wonder if they're coming from China. The Roadway Racers axles are coming from China and they're a bit rough. Are the kits coming from China?
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Loud2ns »

Speedster wrote:I wonder if they're coming from China. The Roadway Racers axles are coming from China and they're a bit rough. Are the kits coming from China?
I'm not sure, it wouldn't surprise me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk