Drill Size vs. Axle Size

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
philm63
Journeyman
Journeyman

Drill Size vs. Axle Size

Post by philm63 »

Different jigs that are available online for drilling axle holes are cited to come with different size drill bits - some say they come with a #43 bit, and some say #44. From what I have seen thus far both of these drill sizes are commonly used in pinewood derby. Looked it up and found that a #43 drill bit is 0.089", and a #44 is 0.086".

Assuming stock BSA axle nails with a stated spec of 0.087, what is the preferred drill size? Should the axle slide in easily but still be snug, or should it be a tight fit? How much does this matter?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Drill Size vs. Axle Size

Post by Vitamin K »

I honestly prefer #43, even for BSA. It works great for Maximum Velocity axles too.

If you drill a hole and it's a tad loose, it's pretty easy to snug it up a bit. My preferred method is just to dip a toothpick in some glue, insert it into the hole, twist it around, pull it out, let the glue dry and try the axle again. Repeat as needed.
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Loud2ns »

Vitamin K wrote:I honestly prefer #43, even for BSA. It works great for Maximum Velocity axles too.

If you drill a hole and it's a tad loose, it's pretty easy to snug it up a bit. My preferred method is just to dip a toothpick in some glue, insert it into the hole, twist it around, pull it out, let the glue dry and try the axle again. Repeat as needed.
I've also done that trick on a loose axle hole. It works good.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

philm63
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by philm63 »

Good to know - thanks, guys! May I assume regular ol' wood glue like Elmer's (the yellow stuff)?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Vitamin K wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:49 amI honestly prefer #43, even for BSA. It works great for Maximum Velocity axles too.
We've used both. We virtually never have loose axles with #44 holes, but sometimes with #43, but the #43 holes definitely demonstrate easier insertion and removal.

If drilling out unfilled slots, we prefer #44.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

philm63 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:58 am Good to know - thanks, guys! May I assume regular ol' wood glue like Elmer's (the yellow stuff)?
Wood glue, Elmer's Glue All, School Glue...whatever white glue you have at hand.
exoray
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by exoray »

Vitamin K wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:28 pm
philm63 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:58 am Good to know - thanks, guys! May I assume regular ol' wood glue like Elmer's (the yellow stuff)?
Wood glue, Elmer's Glue All, School Glue...whatever white glue you have at hand.
Yep PVA glues hold the axle well enough for a race but still allow you to fairly easily remove the axle if needed, vs something like epoxy or super glue that could be a nightmare if you need to remove the axle or turn it or whatever...

I use a #44 for BSA and Maximum Velocity kits, I'm guessing in the end the the more you play with the axle and the more times you move it in and out is more of a concern than the initial drill size...