Mulling a track build...

DIY tracks.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Mulling a track build...

Post by Vitamin K »

So I am starting to ruminate about building a pinewood derby track and timer. Having to borrow a track for our Troop Races is frustrating, and I have some ideas about putting together a neighborhood derby as well. An aluminum one is out of my budget, but there are a few things about a DIY job that appeal to me.

I would probably be using Wayne Schmidt's plans as a base to work off of ( https://web.archive.org/web/20220803092 ... derbytrack ). There are a few things about his design that appeal to me:

- The 4' segments that the track breaks down into are very portable. I like the idea of being able to haul the track around without a trailer.

- A single person can carry it around!

- The required materials are pretty cheap (3 48x96x.25 boards cover all the track and guide rails).

- The design seems very simple and straightforward.

I do think I will want to modify a few things:

- He uses quarter inch masonite which I cannot find near me. Menards is the only place that seems to have it, and I don't have one nearby. I'll have to use quarter inch plywood of some kind.

- I think I want some kind of reinforcement for where the sections screw together. I worry about the longevity of his design.

- His design mimics the flat-curve-flat design of the Best Track, and I really rather like the gentler curve of the Piantedosi/Microwizard track, so I might go that route for the curve section.

For a timer, I will probably use Indy's excellent Arduino-based build.

I'm not in a hurry for this, so I have plenty of time to plan and re-plan. Happy to hear any opinions or warnings in the meantime.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Mulling a track build...

Post by FatSebastian »

Vitamin K wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:25 pmI have some ideas about putting together a neighborhood derby as well.
Are you considering the two or four-lane version?

We built a homemade test track once with a nearly catenary curve (like Piantedosi / MicroWizard) section which seemed to benefit from a longer, single piece of lumber. I think we used wood lath for the center rail rather than try to rip our own guides.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

FatSebastian wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:14 pm
Vitamin K wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:25 pmI have some ideas about putting together a neighborhood derby as well.
Are you considering the two or four-lane version?

We built a homemade test track once with a nearly catenary curve (like Piantedosi / MicroWizard) section which seemed to benefit from a longer, single piece of lumber. I think we used wood lath for the center rail rather than try to rip our own guides.
Four lane. I'd like to use it for Troop events and other things.

Is wood lath available in the width and height (1.5" x .025") that guide strips call for?

Honestly if I can get a good jig set up for the circular saw (I lack a table saw, alas), I think cutting the strips could be accomplished in a repeatable fashion.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Vitamin K wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:18 pmIs wood lath available in the width and height (1.5" x .025") that guide strips call for?
1/4" is a common lath thickness. I don't remember exactly; but what was available to us at the time was close to the proper width. (It was more than a decade ago and we no longer have that track.) I suppose that narrower lath strips could be ripped in two and separated to the desired width but that almost defeats the supposed convenience of using it.
Vitamin K wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:18 pm(I lack a table saw, alas)
This project sounds like a good excuse to get one! :)
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

FatSebastian wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:51 pmI don't remember exactly; but what was available to us at the time was close to the proper width.
:thinking: It's coming back to me... we used straight PVC lattice strips that were the correct width (something like this). For the racing surface I think we used either smooth PVC, or (more likely) pre-painted MDF - something with no grain and required no finish.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

FatSebastian wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:51 pm
Vitamin K wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:18 pmIs wood lath available in the width and height (1.5" x .025") that guide strips call for?
1/4" is a common lath thickness. I don't remember exactly; but what was available to us at the time was close to the proper width. (It was more than a decade ago and we no longer have that track.) I suppose that narrower lath strips could be ripped in two and separated to the desired width but that almost defeats the supposed convenience of using it.
Vitamin K wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:18 pm(I lack a table saw, alas)
This project sounds like a good excuse to get one! :)
Or, well, maybe borrow my dad's at least! :mrgreen:
FatSebastian wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:20 pm
FatSebastian wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:51 pmI don't remember exactly; but what was available to us at the time was close to the proper width.
:thinking: It's coming back to me... we used straight PVC lattice strips that were the correct width (something like this). For the racing surface I think we used either smooth PVC, or (more likely) pre-painted MDF - something with no grain and required no finish.
For a four-lane, 42-foot track, the cost of those would stack up pretty quick. Definitely a nice material, though.
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Loud2ns »

Hey VK,
I watched this guy's series on building a pwd track and found it entertaining. Perhaps it could help with different ideas. He even does a timer.

https://youtu.be/4Skq1h5VYBo?si=LZOrqXCY21SuruzL

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Vitamin K wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:03 pmFor a four-lane, 42-foot track, the cost of those would stack up pretty quick.
Yes, others on DT have shown concern over the aggregate cost of lattice moulding on a homemade track. There used to be wooden lath available of the correct dimensions that was cheaper than PVC (although probably not much cheaper, plus I wouldn't know where to find it anymore). But it does answer the question - Yes, lath / lattice strips come in dimensions suitable for a derby track guide (or at least, used to... I'd suspect that is why certain dimensions were standardized back in the day...)
Vitamin K wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:25 pmHappy to hear any opinions or warnings in the meantime.
We have built a homemade track, and also acquired commercially made tracks (both wood and aluminum). There is something satisfying about engineering and building your own track, especially if you think you have specific needs that aren't quite met with any of the commercial offerings. For example, you note portability and storage. And, also there is a certain appeal about a traditional wooden running surface that you can't buy commercially anymore. Or, an interesting idea would be to have a regional "league" or large-scale competition that operates on an old-fashioned Piantedosi-style wooden track that is either unique or no longer in production. Competitors wouldn't be able to simply test-tune on a perfect replica in their basement, so it would require another level of skill to be competitive.

But based on financial considerations only, if we had to do it all over again we would just skip the homemade route and recommend a quality commercial track (and if on a budget, wait for a used one to come on the market within local driving distance.) Why? The economics of a commercial track purchase actually made more sense to us after factoring in (and actually experiencing) the often-under-estimated investments of time, construction space, labor effort, materials, and supplies. Most of all, a used commercial track still has substantial marketability and resale value that can be recouped in the future, that a homemade track will never have. Resale lessens the total out-of-pocket expense of commercial track ownership long-term. (Example: I knew of an organization that once acquired a used commercial track, made some minor upgrades, used it for many seasons, and then resold it and recovered all of its investment.)
:2cents:
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Vitamin K wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:25 pmAn aluminum one is out of my budget...
For a DYI track, this surplus offering currently on ebay from Diamond Brand Gear Outlet might be of interest to someone. A ~42' 4-lane track would require 4 bundles of six aluminum lane segments for a total (right now) of $384 (plus tax) and shipped *free*. The lane material could be pretty thin ("drawing not to scale"), but if so, perhaps it could be secured to an inexpensive thin luan type plywood backing? Of course you'd have to come up with the starting gate and stop section, but one would have to do that regardless...
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

FatSebastian wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:33 pm
For a DYI track, this surplus offering currently on ebay from Diamond Brand Gear Outlet might be of interest to someone. A ~42' 4-lane track would require 4 bundles of six aluminum lane segments for a total (right now) of $384 (plus tax) and shipped *free*. The lane material could be pretty thin ("drawing not to scale"), but if so, perhaps it could be secured to an inexpensive thin luan type plywood backing? Of course you'd have to come up with the starting gate and stop section, but one would have to do that regardless...
Huh, that's pretty interesting...I didn't even know a product like that existed.

I have to say I'm a little bit curious as to how they can ship something like that free of charge... :thinking:
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Vitamin K wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:40 pmI'm a little bit curious as to how they can ship something like that free of charge...
Looks like they ship 2-day FedEx. Of course the buyer is paying the shipping cost folded into the total price. Because it is a liquidation item, the Al track sections are probably being sold at or below cost to get them out of inventory? (You can also find it on Diamond Brand's online outlet store, but their eBay store has the better deal.) Site description:
A favorite for many years, and these are the last 40 sets that we have. Once they are gone, they’re gone. Lightweight and strong aluminum track panels for your Pinewood Derby fun! Our tracks connect to each other with a simple tongue and groove system and dowels. Dowels are available at your local hardware or home improvement store.
At this moment, 24 sets have sold via eBay, so at most there are 16 sets left (having 34 watchers).

Another aspect to their apparently "free" shipping is that their sections are only 7-3/4', which strategically avoids the oversize charge that applies to any package that exceeds 96" (8') in length. I believe the original Piantedosi Oars wooden-track sections were 8' long, as that was the dimension of the lumber, but today you'll notice that manufacturers of metal tracks cut their sections to be less than 8' to avoid oversize shipping charges.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Welp, went ahead and ordered some. Now I guess I'm committed. :mrgreen:
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

FatSebastian wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:17 pmAt this moment, 24 sets have sold via eBay...
Make that 28 sets sold now. :lol:
Vitamin K wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:12 pmWelp, went ahead and ordered some. Now I guess I'm committed.
:thumbup: Keep us posted on how it goes. It would be an interesting project to follow!
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Will do!

Sent from my moto g(9) play using Tapatalk

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

FatSebastian wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:33 pm
Looks like the old Beta Crafts track plating to go over a wood framework. The "Challenger" track system as they called it. The plating used to be sold in the BSA Scout Shop. I saw one of these tracks once, a long time ago.

https://www.oocities.org/~pack215/pwd-challenger.html

Track Plans - https://grandprix-software-central.com/ ... kPlans.pdf
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.