Advice on Using a Projector

General race coordinator discussions.
SharkBait
Apprentice
Apprentice

Advice on Using a Projector

Post by SharkBait »

I read some interesting posts on using a projector at the derby. We are getting Grand Prix Race Manager. I also have a camcorder that we can use to capture video. I was wondering how we should manage all of this. Can the software manage this for us so that all we have to do is hook it all up and it will run automatically? Does anyone have any advice on how to incorporate the use of a projector?

Thanks!

Steve
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Advice on Using a Projector

Post by gpraceman »

You can setup a projector in one of two ways. It can simply show the audience everything that you see on your computer screen or you can setup Windows to run in dual monitor mode. In dual monitor mode, you can drag on a window(s) and move it over to the projection screen, so you have different things showing on your computer screen and the projection screen. Personally, I prefer the first option.

You can run GPRM and RaceReplay in tandem, so you see the GPRM racing screen for most of a heat, but then the replay can take over the screen. When done, the replay screen can get out of the way.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ohiofitter »

GP.does you software allow for a photo finish at the end I was thinking of having a cam snap a finish line photos for the winners
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

ohiofitter wrote:GP.does you software allow for a photo finish at the end I was thinking of having a cam snap a finish line photos for the winners
RaceReplay records the whole heat. You can grab a snapshot off of the video, but not in an automated way. Basically, with most timers, RaceReplay (GPRM that is) has no way of knowing when any of the cars cross the finish line so trying to do an automatic photo finish would not be possible.

The makers of the SmartLine timer do offer a photo finish device and software that works with their timer. The timer knows when a car crosses, so it is easy enough for it to trigger some software to take a snapshot.

It all depends on if you want a photo of the finish or video of the whole heat.
Last edited by gpraceman on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
SharkBait
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by SharkBait »

Thanks. That's exactly the type of information that I needed. I was wondering whether the GPRM would automate everything, but it seems like we would also need to purchase Race Replay if we also wanted to incorporate race footage with our video camera. We have never used race management software before so I am a little worried about possible glitches in running our first derby with the GPRM. So before we get a second program like Race Replay, I think we need to try out GPRM first in at least one derby to make sure we can run the entire derby without any problems. Therefore, we'll probably just hook up the projector to show whatever is on our computer screen.

By the way, Randy, we decided to go with the K2. I'm not sure if this makes any difference in terms of compatibility or features.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

SharkBait wrote:By the way, Randy, we decided to go with the K2. I'm not sure if this makes any difference in terms of compatibility or features.
It all depends on what computer options you went with. The compatibility matrix below assumes you got all of the options.

http://grandprix-software-central.com/g ... bility.php
Randy Lisano

SharkBait
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by SharkBait »

We are going with the entire computer options package for the K2 to go with GPRM.