Project Journal = No Doubt!

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
TigerDad
Journeyman
Journeyman

Project Journal = No Doubt!

Post by TigerDad »

I knew our first car was going to be a winner and look top notch.
I worked in a hobby store and have access to lots of tools at work.
I was worried from the start about others wondering who really built my son's car.

I came up with a great plan and it worked well.
Two words and two words only: PROJECT JOURNAL!

I had my 6 year old write 2 sentences about what he did each night on the car for the 2 weeks we worked on it!

Now there is no doubt in his or anyone elses mind about how much time he spent on it. ( I spent "alot" of time on it too, but so did he)!

I hope this idea catches on in Cub Scouting PWD.

Thanks!

edit: PS we are going to District Championship on the 27th!
Last edited by TigerDad on Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
TigerDad:Kid Tested And Approved!
TurtlePowered
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Project Journal = No Doubt~!

Post by TurtlePowered »

Good idea. This reinforces what he did and will help you remember steps for next year.
JohnNC
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Project Journal = No Doubt!

Post by JohnNC »

Great idea! I would also do a post race evaluation as to what worked and what didn't work, ideas and observations you pick up, both at the Pack and District championships and document this in your journal.

Not only will it help you plan next year, but it will be a valuable memento for you son in later years.

BTW, congratulations on making Districts!
TDean
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TDean »

TigerDad -- I love the idea of the Project Journal. It is sure to make the whole process more meaningful for him. Here's another thought (which you may have already done) is keep a journal of your own -- your son doesn't even have to know about it, but wouldn't that be something special to surprise him with years from now?
He might even appreciate the memory and the journal more than the actual car and hardware (well, maybe not THAT much :wink: ).
TDean
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

I think that both ideas are excellent!

Your son may not appreciate your journal until he is my age, but, sometime, he will. Only within the last few years have I fully appreciated some of the things that my Dad did when I was a kid... He's 86 ... I'm 62 (or thereabouts :) ) Or, maybe I'm just slow.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
TigerDad
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by TigerDad »

Thanks for the Ideas guys. I did write in my son's journal after his several sentences each night I would write what I cut or sanded also.

I think I will write a AAR (after action report) from our experiences at the district finals.

See ya soon!
TigerDad:Kid Tested And Approved!
Mike Doyle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Mike Doyle »

Stan Pope wrote:I think that both ideas are excellent!

Your son may not appreciate your journal until he is my age, but, sometime, he will. Only within the last few years have I fully appreciated some of the things that my Dad did when I was a kid... He's 86 ... I'm 62 (or thereabouts :) ) Or, maybe I'm just slow.
On the same topic, and since we're in the midst of family birthdays this week (3/10, 3/16, & 3/18) here's something I do for my sons. When my oldest was born, I bought him a fully polished fine tooth 3/8 drive ratchet. Thinking it would be a neat keepsake that's also useful. From there, the idea grew to include Easter, Christmas, and birthdays so that on each of these special days, we'd give our sons a nice tool (in addition to their regular presents) to add to their collection. For Christmas 2000 we bought rolling commercial tool chest with their names engraved on little plaques.

A couple of considerations if you decide to give this a try: rechargable tools are out since they'll be stored for years prior to use, and a coat of wax doesn't hurt to ward off corrosion if your climate is an issue. We stick to typical hand tools, sockets, combo wrenches, ect.