What is a Competitive Time

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
NHHBC
Apprentice
Apprentice

What is a Competitive Time

Post by NHHBC »

For those folks fortunate enough to have an electronic timer on their track what is a good winning time for state or regional competition?

We just had our club derby and State is Apr 3. Our times were in the 2.50 to 2.53 for our top three cars. Do our kids stand a chance? Should I have a pre-state pit stop for more tweeking?
Bill Pickl
T&T Director
Club Derby Guru
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: What is a Competitive Time

Post by Stan Pope »

NHHBC wrote:For those folks fortunate enough to have an electronic timer on their track what is a good winning time for state or regional competition?

We just had our club derby and State is Apr 3. Our times were in the 2.50 to 2.53 for our top three cars. Do our kids stand a chance? Should I have a pre-state pit stop for more tweeking?
You have some homework to do! Track details can make these times either "King of the Hill" or "far out of the money."

Relevant track details include, but are not limited to:
Distance from starting line to finish line.
Height of starting line above the finish line.
Slope of the initial section of the track.
Shape of the transition between slope and flat.
Overall profile of the track.
Smoothness of the track and guide.
Operational details of the starting gate.
Allowed lubricants.
Allowed wheel and axle modification.

(Did I miss any?)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
NHHBC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by NHHBC »

I'm a rookie and was under the impression Awana Tracks were standard :oops:

This is my first year and I've not been to our State competition. I suppose a phone call to the State folks would be most benificial.

I was encourage that the kids that attended my workshop took 1st and 3rd in speed. They had alot of fun at the workshop and I let them do everything but operate the bandsaw. When you let a 3rd grader operate a drill press you need the tell them slow is better than fast on the plunge of the drill bit. I had to redrill on set of axel holes because the bit went crooked when the head was lowered so quickly.

I tweeked the axels to align them as best I could.
Bill Pickl
T&T Director
Club Derby Guru
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

NHHBC wrote:I'm a rookie and was under the impression Awana Tracks were standard :oops:

This is my first year and I've not been to our State competition. I suppose a phone call to the State folks would be most benificial.

I was encourage that the kids that attended my workshop took 1st and 3rd in speed. They had alot of fun at the workshop and I let them do everything but operate the bandsaw. When you let a 3rd grader operate a drill press you need the tell them slow is better than fast on the plunge of the drill bit. I had to redrill on set of axel holes because the bit went crooked when the head was lowered so quickly.

I tweeked the axels to align them as best I could.
We have a number of folks who race Awana here. I'm sure that they can qualify any of the issues that I raised. Even with "standard" tracks you will notice significant time variances depending on details of setup that day! A few inches difference in the point at which the track levels out can make a big difference in timeings.

Sounds like your workshop was a success. I know the problem with youngsters and drill presses ... many seem to have two speeds ... napping and as fast as possible. :) One Tiger Cub snapped three wheel mandrel screws for me! They are certainly a challenge! :) But, they are worth every minute spent.

Good luck at State!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"