2nd Again!

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Barga Racing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

2nd Again!

Post by Barga Racing »

Hi Guys,
I have not been on here for awhile and I even missed last months WIRL deadline because my wife was in the hospital.
Back to the original subject. For those keeping track my son's council race was Saturday. He finished second in Webelos 1. That makes a 3rd and two 2nds at council the last 3 years. Just can't seem to bring home the big One! They did it different this year than they have in the past. They finally went with a bracket instead of pulling names out of a hat. I realize a simple double elim bracket is certainly not the most accurate way to go but at least the same 2 kids won't race each other unless they meet again in the losers bracket or the final race. My son won his first 2 races then lost the third. He then went through the losers bracket and met the kid that beat him previously, in the championship race. The same kid beat him again so I feel that those probably were the 2 fastest cars.
As some of you may remember my son was 3rd fastest overall at our district and my nephew was 4th. They asked me to help at council which gave me a reason to stick around and see how the kids that were 1st and 2nd fastest at our district did. The kid that was 1st at our district placed 3rd in wolfs at council, the kid that was 2nd did not place at council and was in tigers. My nephew did not place and he was in bears. My nephews car was slightly overweight according to the council scales and his dad used a dremel with a sanding wheel to remove wood from the bottom. There was the dust all over the wheels which he wiped off with an alcohol pad but I am sure some probably got in on the axles. Don't know what happened to the other 2 cars other than they were not properly weighted for a track with a very steep drop. Our track for district is 32 ft and the slope is 18 ft long. The track at council appeared to be about 28 ft and the slope was only 9 maybe 10 ft long.
I know this post is getting quite long but I gotta tell this story. I believe it was tigers. When it came to the championship race one boy was unbeaten and the other boy had been previously beaten by the undefeated boy. The once beaten boy did not look very happy to be racing the boy that already beat him. As you probably guessed, the once beaten boy won. You should have seen his smile. Then they switched lanes and raced again, as both boys had 1 loss. The boy that came through he losers bracket won. Man was he excited. It was neat because that was the last group to race and it was the only time that the previous undefeated boy did not win the championship round. Just goes to show it is not over until it is over.
Well I gotta go finish packing my WIRL car and take it to the post office for priority mail.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: 2nd Again!

Post by Stan Pope »

Thanks for the report! Congrats to "WW Jr."

Man, we gotta wean them off DE! There is more fun to be had for all with QE!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Parrish »

Wooden Wonder wrote:Hi Guys,
I have not been on here for awhile and I even missed last months WIRL deadline because my wife was in the hospital.
Hope all is well!

DE is a bummer!!
Well I gotta go finish packing my WIRL car and take it to the post office for priority mail.
Good luck at WIRL.
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com
Barga Racing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Barga Racing »

Thanks Mike!
ExtremePWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ExtremePWD »

Mike Parrish wrote:
Good luck at WIRL.
Good luck to both Mike and WW in the WIRL this month as well as any other of the DerbyTalk crew that may be sending in entries. I'm laying out this month due to other demands on my time but I'm certainly far from done.
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Parrish »

ExtremePWD wrote:Good luck to both Mike and WW in the WIRL this month as well as any other of the DerbyTalk crew that may be sending in entries. I'm laying out this month due to other demands on my time but I'm certainly far from done.
Thanks ExtremePWD. Hope to see you back soon!
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com
Barga Racing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Barga Racing »

ExtremePWD wrote: Good luck to both Mike and WW in the WIRL this month as well as any other of the DerbyTalk crew that may be sending in entries. I'm laying out this month due to other demands on my time but I'm certainly far from done.
Thanks Extreme! I was gunning for you this month too, guess I have to set my sights 1 notch higher now :D .Nah, just kidding. I don't think I can compete with you guys although I did send in 2 cars with skinny wheels, ( as will everyone else now, they sure seem to be the wheel of choice), that I hacked out with my vertical lathe and variable angle cutting tool. I changed my builder name to include my kids because next month my boy wants to send his cars in. We are going to send in his car from 3 years ago that we still use as a bench mark, as is just to see how it will do. And we are going to send in his car from this year as is except for installation of some type of thin wheels. I will probably set out next month because I would not want him to embarrass me by beating me. Good Luck to all!