New guy & Access in a Ladder/Hollow design Q.

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
RacerRemy
Apprentice
Apprentice

New guy & Access in a Ladder/Hollow design Q.

Post by RacerRemy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:04 am

Hey there.. new lion dad here.
We just ran our first race and placed 5th out of 29 .007 seconds out of qualifying for the finals. So not where we wanted.

Anyways, we did not spend or have enough time to really get serious.. I didnt even prep the axles or attempt to align pre race. So it could have been worse considering.

This year, immediately after we started on next years car. That should give enough time.

We are going with a aerodymanic police themed hollow wedge design. We will be running flashing LEDs with a battery inside the hollow. CoM can be from .75-1.25" from rear in a standard slot rear cambered setup. I don't want to permanently seal the battery/light setup and would like prerace incremental weight to be inside.

What are people doing, other than vinyl or tape under the car to allow for resealable access?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: New guy & Access in a Ladder/Hollow design Q.

Post by whodathunkit » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:13 pm

:welcome: RacerRemy!
Some like to use really thin light weight sheets of balsa woods .
Or even thin light weight metals to make removable covers with small screws to attach it bottom of the car.
Andy & Noah Holzer .. ah2k have a few topics here on DT .. where there covers were made out of light weight metals that can be seen on there cars.
However I can't seem to recall the topic it was seen in!
Here is one of Noah's car builds showing a hollowed car bottom.
http://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=6684

And then there is this topic by Gtdhw on what he did with covers for his ladder frame chassis.
http://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=8221

Best of Luck!

What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?

RacerRemy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by RacerRemy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:50 am

I've decided to use magnets.

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:27 am

That's a cute idea and I'm sure a lot of work. Just a thought. Normally the race authorities require the lights be turned off when racing.

whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:25 pm

RacerRemy wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:50 am
I've decided to use magnets.
Hay Hay your set and on your way now RacerRemy .. magnets just might do the trick top side for the cover!

What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?

Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:16 pm

For my illuminated designs, I've provided access to the battery by building the car in two parts. The "frame" is a slab cut from the original block in the kit. The "body" is whatever decorative structure I've built that attaches to that frame. When I build a separate body, I usually attach it to the frame with two small screws, one near the front axles and one near the back axles.

For my illuminated designs, the battery is located in a space between the frame and the body. To access the battery, I remove the two screws holding the body to the frame.

RacerRemy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by RacerRemy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:06 am

Here are some in progress pics.
Its essentially a basic wedge, cut to be about 1/16 higher than the rear wheel so a 1/32 piece of basswood actually acts as the top of the fender.

I put in 3oz of tungsten in the rear of the body, which got down to 16grams. It might be a tad much. I have around 13 grams to build the whole led/battery/magnetic top cover. I'm cutting it super close. Lol.ImageImage