New York Race

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

New York Race

Post by Speedster » Mon May 13, 2019 5:28 am

I've read the rules for the Stock Class and I think they've made a huge mistake. ( 4 on the ground and NO bending axles ). That is far from making it fair for everyone. I think only the SUPER skilled will be able to accomplish building a very fast car.

This, of course, is simply my opinion, because I need to bend axles. OK, I'm a Crybaby.

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New York Race

Post by gpraceman » Mon May 13, 2019 9:15 am

I'll be at that race this year. I do intend to have a discussion with them regarding their rules.

No filling and redrilling wheel bores. How do you inspect for that? Who does that anyway? Seems more likely that you will drill a tad off center, only hurting your chances.

On minimum axle diameter, are they actually measuring that?

When I talked to people at Mid America about competing in this race, most everyone stated that they would not due to the poor rules.

Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster » Mon May 13, 2019 11:46 am

Randy, I wish you the Very Best on getting rules changed to try to make it more fair for everyone. It probably is too late for this year but I think it would benefit everyone in the future if the rules were different. You did a Great job on the rules for " Ford Fast Track Racing " and made it a lot easier for 800 Girl Scouts to build their cars. If enough racers would complain perhaps those making the rules would take another look at what they've done. I would think the number of those wanting to race would increase which would benefit everyone.
I hope you have Beautiful weather.

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman » Mon May 13, 2019 11:54 am

I'm not sure how open to rules changes they will be. At the council level, generally those in charge can be pretty resistant to rules changes, but we'll see. It would certainly make the race more appealing if the rules were improved, which would boost attendance.

I hope that weather is good as well, as we want to do some sightseeing while we are there. I've been to NY City before, but my wife has not. We've planned a couple of days to sight see. Not much time, I know, but NY is just the first leg of this trip. After the race, we will be going to San Juan, PR to visit our daughter who is now working there. Gotta save some money for that.

Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.

Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K » Mon May 13, 2019 1:18 pm

When folks from the Derby community tried to engage about the poor ruleset in the past, the organizers pretty much doubled down and stuck to their guns.

Hope they find a voice of reason to listen to.

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman » Mon May 13, 2019 2:15 pm

They had the dream of making this the biggest race in the country, attracting people from all over the US and getting national media coverage. If they want to keep pursuing that dream, they will need to look at ways to encourage people to participate, not discourage them. I think that starts with a close review of the rules. The first thing I hear when I even mention the NYC Times Square race to people, is regarding the rules.

Randy Lisano

Nevin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Nevin » Wed May 22, 2019 6:02 am

What's the biggest gripe people have with the NYC Times Square race rules-wise?