French Fries anyone !

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: French Fries anyone !

Post by whodathunkit »

Well Charile is a little under the weather today..
And did not fell that he had the hand strength to true his 1996 wheels up on the Derbyworx wheel shaver and do his axles.. plus he felt like he would miss them up!
I told him the same holds true as for me doing them as well.
However I did have him check his wheels on the run out gauge all were 4 to 5 thousands out of round.. so he asked if would take over to true up his wheels and work on his axles
and that he would do the polishing prep on his wheels and axles when he was feeling better.

I told him I would help with these stages.. but he has to keep working on it to get it done intime for his race.

He was right about hand strength alright.. these older wheels where a pain to shave and true up
It's been awhile since I've used the Derbyworx tools and shaver to true up wheels with..
I had some grooves and scratches in the tread that I need to fix. (so ill need to work on sharpening the blade back up!)
I'm going to try some Triple Ott (0000) Steel Wool on the treads to see If I'm able to work down the scratches some what.
Scratches:
Removed some what:
Wheel run out:
Best I could get them to was 3 thousands out of round.
Charlie also seen in David Meade's speed secrets book the grooved axles he wanted to do for his axles this year.

EDIT: Forgot these images of axle prep and putting the grove in the axles..
After all the burrs and bumps on the axles were removed with out spinning the axle in a drill..
I moved on to marking out where to cut the grooves in at.. to be cut in 1/16'' from the axle head.

The lowest rpm range is 620 the highest rpm range 3100 on my drill press.. for sanding axles I keep it at the 620 rpm range..
( For cutting groves I find it easier to do in a higher rpm range.)
With the drill press set to 3100 rpm and the axle chucked in.. I set the drill press table to the mark on the axle using the file.
With the axle spinning at 3100 rpm I keep the file flat on the drill press table and move the file back- and- forth while it cuts in a grove..
I like stopping the cut as seen in the image at about 1/16" as well.
For tapering the axle head I'll drop the table down and use a small triangle file.. while holding the file at an angle seen in the image.
(However I holed the file with both hands to tapper the head back.
Some times I'll even use a Dremel cutting disk to cut a small grove in where the shaft meets at the axle head ..
plus it help's to get at the hard to get to.. 2 burs that are up really close to the axle shaft and axle head.

Axle after the file work was done for the shaft groove and tapered axle head:
For cleaning up the burrs from cutting and shaping with the file.. I'll use a popsicle stick and 600 grit wet dry sand paper to start the axle sanding prosses.
What the axle looks like in the first stages of sanding.

Here's the work Iv helped him out with to keep his build moving forward and so he can finish the polishing of wheels and axles that he likes doing best.
Image.

Well when he is feeling better he will be back at it.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:30 pm, edited 14 times in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I like the Fries car. The salt is a nice touch.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Thanks Randy.. Charlie said he is a little salty at it!
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

That's some really nice axle work!
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Vitamin K wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:12 pm That's some really nice axle work!
Thanks VK,
It's been like forever since Iv cut grooves in stock axles.. I wish the wheel truing and shaving would have went a little better however.. ( I forgot to sharpen the blade up)
I put a new blade in that I had stuck away.. I'm going to try reworking the wheels to see if i can get the run out down some more..
I'm happy at 3 thousands out but 2 thousands out would be even better if i can get them down to that.

I saved all the polishing with the Rejex wax stages for Charile to do on the axles and wheel bores.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Wheel Shaving and truing up Take 2.

Charile's pack rules are very relaxed this year with the use of the older 1996 kits.. and truing of the wheels is allowed.

After yesterdays wheel truing on the Derbyworx wheel shaver for Charlie's car.. I was not happy with the work I had done trying to help him with on these old wheels.
The wheel run out at 3 thousands out of round and the wheel treads just looked bad..as i had forgot the blade in the tool was old and needed sharpened or to be replaced.
Lucky I had remembered that I had replacement blades for the tool after the fact of yesterdays work on them.

Charile is a smart kid and it's no wounder he said he did not think he had the hand strength to use this tool.
As even in the instructions under ( Important Notes)
It says the tool is to be used by an adult and that with practice the wheels can be trued up to 1 thousandth of an inch on the tool.
Well practice is what I got early this morning.. by replacing the blade with a good sharp one.. and giving the wheels a second go-round.
Having a good sharp blade in the tool I was able to re-work them and shave the wheels down to:
Now to see what we can do with smoothing up the treads:

I'm going to try using a nano glass file SF-15 # 12000 to smooth out and knock down the scratches in the drill press at 620 rpm.
By holding the file to the back side of the wheel.. ( using the direction of rotation of the of the drill press) to smooth and knock down the scratch's with very light pressure.
And use some liquid.. NU Finish Scratch Doctor on the treads to see if I can knock them down even more:

So going from this:
To this:
Is starting to get more to my liken as far as the tread surface scratches go.
I still think that the scratches can be worked down some more with using some Novus 2 fine scratch remover on a micro fiber towel.
The 2 wheels seen in the image to the left hand side still need the Novus treatment.. the 2 wheels to the right hand side shows the Novus treated wheels.

I guess you could say that I got some very good practice in on trying to help my son out by doing the best job I could for him on his axles and wheels..
while he is out sick with his allergies in full swing .
( The polishing and waxing stages I'm leaving for him to do when he fells better and he is up to it.)
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

whodathunkit wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:55 pm I wish the wheel truing and shaving would have went a little better however.. ( I forgot to sharpen the blade up)
I put a new blade in that I had stuck away.. I'm going to try reworking the wheels to see if i can get the run out down some more..
I'm happy at 3 thousands out but 2 thousands out would be even better if i can get them down to that.

I saved all the polishing with the Rejex wax stages for Charile to do on the axles and wheel bores.
I've had so much frustration trying to get good wheels from the shaver. Just...I always gouge the heck out of them, and I don't think any kid would have luck with it.

Are you concerned that Charlie's gonna have a disadvantage due to the heavier weight of the pre-2009 wheels?
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Vitamin K wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:41 pm I've had so much frustration trying to get good wheels from the shaver. Just...I always gouge the heck out of them, and I don't think any kid would have luck with it.

Are you concerned that Charlie's gonna have a disadvantage due to the heavier weight of the pre-2009 wheels?
VK,
I know what your saying about the frustration and trying to get a good set of trued up wheels with out gouging the treads with the shaver.
Plus I know kids would not have much luck by tying to shave there own wheels on the tool.

There's only 4 kids in his pack and all of them will be using the older 1996 pinewood derby kit's and wheels this year for there pack race.

As far as Charlie's car I don't think he will have any disadvantages do to the weight of the wheels as all the kids in his pack will be using the same kit wheels.
However with how far out of round the wheels were in his 96 kit .. by 4 to 5 thousands of an inch out of round to the wheel bores.

I could see problems with performance .. on how his car would have preformed with out of round wheels in all 4 corners.
And that in it's self is a disadvantage.. by not only having heavy wheels to get rolling..
But by also having out of round wheels to also try and get rolling and then trying to maintain control of how the car travels down the track
with out any extra un-needed vibrations and wheels shifting on the axles. (Due to out of round wheels.)

Plus Charlie want's to enter his car in the adult outlaw race as well.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Well Charlie is felling much better as was ready to get back to work on his wheels .. ( He has 9 days tell his race day!)

He started his wheel bore prep off.. by washing and cleaning his wheels and blow drying the wheels and bores out.

He wanted to start his wheel prep out with some Novus 2 first on the hubs, bore and inner wheel rig.
Image.

Back to washing and cleaning off the Novus polish on his wheels and wheel bores out and drying them out with air once more.

Well VK if your looking about!
Charile is ready to move on with the Rejex for his 2nd step to his wheel prep.
However that will have to happen tomorrow after school and his homework is done.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Sweet! Are you guys doing a graphite lube, or oil?
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

He is going to run with graphite this time around If he is lucky enough to move on to districts we will swap to the current wheels and axles for his car and try running oil lubes.

I've got to get my shop cleaned up for that.. You how it go's in any wood shop you make a miss of it working on stuff.. then you have to clean it up!
I've tried oil lubes like nyoil and krytox in the past and did not have much luck with them back then .. because oil lubes were the newest thing out.
And learning later on that every thing has to super clean and lent free because the oil lubes are not as forgiving on wheel prep as graphite is.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Well Guy's Charlie would like to apologize..as his allergies are really getting the best of him as of here lately.
And with what little he fells that he can do on his car..

VK, he did get his wheel bores waxed with the rejex like he was wanting.
From there we let his wheels dry and buffed the wheel bores with some 100% polyester yarn.
By pulling the yarn threw the wheel bores and then running the wheel up and down the yarn a few times.

(Yeah were not the first to use this method to clean out wheel bores or to buff wax wheel bores with using yarns.)
But we thought it would be better then spin buffing the bores with a pipe cleaner or a tamiya swab.

photos of how I showed Charlie to do it with some yarn that I picked up and testing on a junk wheel however.

The work he has got done .. we ran into a little bit of trouble with weight's and had to hog out wood.. ( and set the cog at 1 in.) Clear taped over the holes.
And then with left rear axle notch not wanting to hold the axle tight.. Elmers wood glue in the slot with a spare axle pushed in over night helped some.
He has it tuned as he wants it and has axles glued in using the filler gauges to keep the gaps set tight and glue out of the bores.
finishing up his build:
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Loud2ns »

Looks good!! Now I'm hungry! Lol

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Thanks Loud2ns,
Charlie said he has never had salted pinewood french fries before but they do look good enough to eat.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Well Charlie's hard work has paid off he turned the M to a W.

And took 1st place for his pack race tonight his avg time was a 3.2 on a 35 foot best track.
They would not let him race his car in the out law as they wanted it to be a different car for the outlaw race.

McDonald’s has also changed it’s logo as of today!
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mcdonal ... 0NunEu7GU0
https://www.delish.com/food-news/a46928 ... wcdonalds/

Last edited by whodathunkit on Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.