Hidden-Wheel Car?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Hidden-Wheel Car?

Post by Vitamin K »

Has anyone ever built/attempted a car with the wheels almost completely encased by the fenders?

I usually like to build something rather silly for the adult division of our races, so I though I might take a stab at this.

My inspiration is here: Image

I don't think I'll be doing anything quite so pretty, but I like the idea of a car that's just a black "lozenge" sliding down the track with no apparent wheels. I have some ideas and I'm roughing out the design, but if anyone's done something like this and has suggestions or gotchas, please chime in. :D
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Hidden-Wheel Car?

Post by Loud2ns »

That's an awesome car!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Vitamin K wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:41 amI have some ideas and I'm roughing out the design, but if anyone's done something like this and has suggestions or gotchas, please chime in. :D
:wow: We've tried nothing quite so exotic, but I suppose that it would be constructed like an old-fashioned body-on-chassis, where the chassis is a "plank" or "wing" or "ladder" style car with a hollowed shell dropped on top?

In the pictured model (which is cool!), I'd be worried about failing any rules specifications about track clearances. :nervous: (The pictured car cannot use the parking lot's wheel chock due to lack of clearance.) Also worried about ending up overweight after a lot of work!
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

FatSebastian wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:53 am
Vitamin K wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:41 amI have some ideas and I'm roughing out the design, but if anyone's done something like this and has suggestions or gotchas, please chime in. :D
:wow: We've tried nothing quite so exotic, but I suppose that it would be constructed like an old-fashioned body-on-chassis, where the chassis is a "plank" or "wing" or "ladder" style car with a hollowed shell dropped on top?

In the pictured model (which is cool!), I'd be worried about failing any rules specifications about track clearances. :nervous: (The pictured car cannot use the parking lot's wheel chock due to lack of clearance.) Also worried about ending up overweight after a lot of work!
Yeah, the plan that I'm trying to turn into a drawing is to have a thin plank body, with a framework on the top that's attached by screws that comes down and wraps around everything. The sides will likely be wood trim material (I have a roll of it), Considering using balsa for the "skeleton" that supports the outer shell.

I am a little concerned about the rear wheels, since canted rears are pretty close to the max width at the bottoms. I may need to inset the rear wheels a bit if I decide to make it a rail-rider.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Vitamin K wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:30 amThe sides will likely be wood trim material... Considering using balsa... I may need to inset the rear wheels a bit...
It sounds like you thought through a few potential issues already... eager to see what you come up with! :eager:
exoray
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by exoray »

IMO A car like that is best built using a vacuum-formed body or a very thin 3D printed body that sets over a small block under it and is held on with velcro or magnets inside...

But you should check the fender rules if any, and also check to make sure a front like that is compliant, as some rules forbid a 'point' at the front and require a flat across section of some minimal width to more easily align with the start peg...
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Vitamin K wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:41 am Has anyone ever built/attempted a car with the wheels almost completely encased by the fenders?
I usually like to build something rather silly for the adult division of our races, so I though I might take a stab at this.
VK,
Andy Holzer's 1962 AMC Metropolitan build.
https://www.maximum-velocity.com/pinewo ... es_v18i13/
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

whodathunkit wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:58 pm
Vitamin K wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:41 am Has anyone ever built/attempted a car with the wheels almost completely encased by the fenders?
VK,
Andy Holzer's 1962 AMC Metropolitan build.
https://www.maximum-velocity.com/pinewo ... es_v18i13/
Just what I needed! Thanks Whoda!
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Here's my current progress, just fooling around in Inkscape.

The black lines are projected pine pieces, the blue ones are balsa structures and the purple is thin wood laminate.

Going to have to add more balsa structure I think, and also figure out the top view. Should be interesting once I start cutting up bits of wood.

The curve below is a Best Track curve, just to see how close I'm cutting it, haha.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

I don’t know what it is about the streamliner land speed cars.

The silver car in the top pic reminds me of the 1930’s
Mercedes - Benz silver arrows cars.

How ever it looks more like the Ugo Fadini LSR models
1987 Red head streamliner Aka.. coke bottle.
With the fenders filled in.

I want to see pics of the build VK .
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

whodathunkit wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:36 pm I want to see pics of the build VK .
As soon as I start cutting wood, I'll take pics as I go.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Thanks VK,
Look forward to seeing the build.
exoray
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by exoray »

Vitamin K wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:34 amThe black lines are projected pine pieces, the blue ones are balsa structures and the purple is thin wood laminate.

Going to have to add more balsa structure I think, and also figure out the top view. Should be interesting once I start cutting up bits of wood.
May I suggest to keep weight down and make shaping easier you do as much out of balsa as possible? When my daughter did a pickup last year the only "pine" part left was a basic ladder frame similar to a real truck frame seen in the background...

One thing we found very helpful with the balsa is that we were able to mock build it with common sewing pins used like nails as we cut each panel so everything could be test fit before we actually glued anything...

whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

exoray wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:39 pm Image
exoray..WOW!
I'm really liking the image you have shared here on the balsa pickup and cab. ( not to go off topic here !)

But I've been wanting to do something in my memory of my Father..
He worked for Southwestern Bell Telephone for over 25 years. as a lineman and repairman and one of my fondest childhood memories was of his service truck..
that I have been wanting to build for a while now.. most all of my build have been out of pine, bass, and baltic birch, wood types.
( especially with the open window cab detail for all my big rig builds .)

Guess it's time to get some more balsa and get started on the build.. Thanks for the inspiration and for pulling on my heartstrings with the image.
exoray
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by exoray »

whodathunkit wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:33 pmI'm really liking the image you have shared here on the balsa pickup and cab. ( not to go off topic here !)
I can't take full credit, a lot goes to this guy for the inspiration... https://imgur.com/gallery/3GhSSOH

As my kids get older (having won many speed trophies) they are now exploring more creative designs...