Oil -Freezing

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Oil -Freezing

Post by Speedster »

I'd like to use oil in the truck race at the Mid America but I'm concerned about it being shipped and being in the storage area of an airplane. Should I simply use graphite?
bracketracer
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Oil -Freezing

Post by bracketracer »

I would use oil, never had a problem with it freezing in the winter or getting baked out in the summer months. It'll be A-OK fine!
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Thank you.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Oil -Freezing

Post by whodathunkit »

Krytox Gpl 101
Has an oil viscosity of 7.8.cSt at 40.c
Estimated useful temperature range
Is -70.c to 104.c

-70.c is -94.f
70.c is 158.f
104.c is 219.2.f

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Definitely use oil. Be sure and coat your bores and axles with a good choice of oil-repellent treatment!
Sleestak
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Sleestak »

Vitamin K wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:25 pm Definitely use oil. Be sure and coat your bores and axles with a good choice of oil-repellent treatment!
????.like what?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Sleestak wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:50 am
Vitamin K wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:25 pm Definitely use oil. Be sure and coat your bores and axles with a good choice of oil-repellent treatment!
????.like what?
If you're using oil, you will get the best success if both your wheel bores and axles are coated with some kind of oil-repelling treatment.

Traditionally, different products have been used on both the bore and the axle.

What is often used is a synthetic auto wax (such as rejex or liquid glass or meguiar's nxt) which is applied to the wheel bore, allowed to haze and then buffed. Derby Worx also makes a bore wax that works for this. There's also a product sold by Derby Evolution that you can use. (Other PWD vendors have their own bore wax offerings).

For the axles, traditionally the product of choice is a silicone-based spray called "Jig-A-Loo" which gets sprayed onto the axles. You don't want to use Jig-A-Loo on wheel bores, because it is corrosive to them. The downside of Jig-A-Loo is that it isn't sold in the USA and needs to be imported from Canada.

What I personally use when running oil is a product called "Max Pro Heavy Duty Silicone", which is a silicone-based spray that dries to a clear and dry finish. You can use it both on the axles and the wheel bores. For the axles, you can just spray it directly on. For the the wheel bores, I spray some into a cup, wait a few minutes for the propellant to evaporate, then apply to the bores with an applicator. You can get the Max-Pro at Microcenter. [Edit: Yes, old post, but the error chafes me]

Hope that helps!