How to oil axels

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Sleestak
Pine Head
Pine Head

How to oil axels

Post by Sleestak »

Ive read and seen too much oil is worse than not enough. Hiw is a good way to get the correct amount on the axel. I assume with the tire off then give it several spins. What size drop of oil? A water drop? A bb? A ball point ben ball size? Something else?
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: How to oil axels

Post by Loud2ns »

Sleestak wrote:Ive read and seen too much oil is worse than not enough. Hiw is a good way to get the correct amount on the axel. I assume with the tire off then give it several spins. What size drop of oil? A water drop? A bb? A ball point ben ball size? Something else?
Put a drop the size of a fine point pen ball on axle. Insert axle into wheel. Spin wheel and let it distribute.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sleestak
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Sleestak »

Loud2ns wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:07 am
Sleestak wrote:Ive read and seen too much oil is worse than not enough. Hiw is a good way to get the correct amount on the axel. I assume with the tire off then give it several spins. What size drop of oil? A water drop? A bb? A ball point ben ball size? Something else?
Put a drop the size of a fine point pen ball on axle. Insert axle into wheel. Spin wheel and let it distribute.

Dang really that little? I definitely used more than that last year. I was scared Id use too little.
Also I assume do this just before the drive to the weigh in? After weigh in we leave our cars over night and wont touch them again till race over.
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Loud2ns »

Sleestak wrote:
Loud2ns wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:07 am Put a drop the size of a fine point pen ball on axle. Insert axle into wheel. Spin wheel and let it distribute.

Dang really that little? I definitely used more than that last year. I was scared Id use too little.
Also I assume do this just before the drive to the weigh in? After weigh in we leave our cars over night and wont touch them again till race over.
I should have asked. What kind of oil are you using?

Sleestak
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Sleestak »

Kytox or something 100 from the scout store
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Loud2ns »

Sleestak wrote:Kytox or something 100 from the scout store
You could go medium ball with that....it's a little more forgiving than some of the other blends.

Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

At our workshops, I think I've had the kids apply a drop of Krytox on each axle, roll the axle to distribute the Krytox, then wipe off as much as they can with a dry cloth.
Sleestak
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Sleestak »

Darin McGrew wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:12 pm At our workshops, I think I've had the kids apply a drop of Krytox on each axle, roll the axle to distribute the Krytox, then wipe off as much as they can with a dry cloth.
Oh that doesnt sound the cleanest using a dry cloth
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

I put a tiny drop (ballpoint pen ball is about right) and roll it around the axle making sure to get the shaft and under the head, and then I use a small strip of clean white paper (making sure there aren't loose fibers on the end) to wick up any remaining blobs of oil.

Krytox is a thin-film lube. You want to go easy on it.
Sleestak
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Sleestak »

I definitely used way to much last year. I made sure it was visibly wet.
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Loud2ns »

Vitamin K wrote:I put a tiny drop (ballpoint pen ball is about right) and roll it around the axle making sure to get the shaft and under the head, and then I use a small strip of clean white paper (making sure there aren't loose fibers on the end) to wick up any remaining blobs of oil.

Krytox is a thin-film lube. You want to go easy on it.
This is the way I started out. It works.

Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Loud2ns »

Sleestak wrote:I definitely used way to much last year. I made sure it was visibly wet.
When correctly applied you can hardly see it.

whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Some krytox 100 bottles come with an eye dropper style applicator and some bottles will have the 5 ml needle tip applicator.
If your bottle has the eye dropper style applicator .. one drop of oil out of it is two much oil at once.

Id look look at dumping the krytox 100 oil over into a clean bottle with a 5ml needle tip style applicator for getting the smaller size drop of oil.
https://www.qosmedix.com/dropper-bottle ... y6ealw_wcb
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?