Tonight is axels and wheel prep. Remind me...

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Sleestak
Pine Head
Pine Head

Tonight is axels and wheel prep. Remind me...

Post by Sleestak »

-Wheel prep with novus2 scratch remover. How long do I spin with ducktapped drill a craft store pointed q-tip in each wheel hub? How many seconds?

As for cleaning the novus2 out. I have wayer obviously. I also have a very high proof alcohol in a spray bottle from CVS. Would this be a good step to get the water out. Then followed with air in a can to blow out alcohol. My only concern is the alcohol save for the plastic tires?

Axels I have to questions. Going several grades of wet sandpaper followed by a diamond duct compound I got in a derby kit.
Sleestak
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Tonight is axels and wheel prep. Remind me...

Post by Sleestak »

Or not....
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Sleestak, I'd like to share a story with you and I promise I'll keep it short. A racer was caught at our District race with his wheels with probably a 2 1/2 degree cant which is illegal. I gave him 4 BSA nails, he inserted them in front of the Boss and me, and went on to win the District race. No removing any casting marks or even applying graphite. So much for the value of the condition of the nail. The BSA nail has a shiny zinc coating on it. I do not touch the nail with any sandpaper. I do not remove the casting marks on the shaft. You can run the car on the casting marks or not run on the casting marks. The casting marks are opposite of each other on the shaft. Mark the head of the nail and insert them on where you want the wheel to ride. The nail does not turn. I use my Dremel tool and a very slim grinding disc and as carefully as I can I remove the marks under the head. I do not put the nail in a drill and grind away on the marks under the head. I polish it with Novus 2, wash it in water, dry it and put it in 91% alcohol for 15 minutes. I'm done with the nail.

The Wheel.
Are the wheels you use .003 or less Out of Round? Do any of your wheels have a lot of wobble? I polish the bores with Novus 2 and the Walgreen's cotton swab shaft. That is simply my choice. The bores are prepped with Liquid Glass (I just happen to have that) and then finished with Hob-E-Lube graphite.

All my special cars are 3 wheel rail riders, slim wedge design or Hershey bar design. The drift is set at 2" in 4 '. I then run the car slowly down a section of a "Best" track to see if the rear wheels are staying off the rail. The car is then taken to the track with timer and the final adjustment is made.

I would recommend you use the "Search" function and ask your questions. There's going to be a lot of info come up. Choose the one you like the Best and give it a try. You can also ask "Does anyone think this particular info should not be used".

Each car you build try to make it faster then your fastest car. That's what I enjoy doing.

I wish you the Very Best.
Sleestak
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Sleestak »

Race this friday. Car goes in Thursday night and out of my hands. Im using oil so no graphite in my wheels. My axels currently look terrible with globs if stupid dupont chain saver on them. Im sure this cant be right. Maybe I was supposed to paint the chain saver on the axel?
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Loud2ns »

Sleestak wrote:Race this friday. Car goes in Thursday night and out of my hands. Im using oil so no graphite in my wheels. My axels currently look terrible with globs if stupid dupont chain saver on them. Im sure this cant be right. Maybe I was supposed to paint the chain saver on the axel?
Sorry I'm not much help as I've never used this product. If it's globbed on that doesn't sound good. Perhaps try cleaning them off and try again.
Make sure to shake can well. Perhaps try holding the axles farther away from spray pattern. Try less thick of a coat?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Loud2ns »

Loud2ns wrote:
Sleestak wrote:Race this friday. Car goes in Thursday night and out of my hands. Im using oil so no graphite in my wheels. My axels currently look terrible with globs if stupid dupont chain saver on them. Im sure this cant be right. Maybe I was supposed to paint the chain saver on the axel?
Sorry I'm not much help as I've never used this product. If it's globbed on that doesn't sound good. Perhaps try cleaning them off and try again.
Make sure to shake can well. Perhaps try holding the axles farther away from spray pattern. Try less thick of a coat?

Here's a thought you could try. Spray a bunch in a small container and dip the axle in.

Sleestak
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Sleestak »

Loud2ns wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:06 pm

This is a chain lube. It is designed to come out in a single stream to land on a chain. It doesn't come out like spray paint. Ill try the dip in idea.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I'm curious. Did someone on Derbytalk recommend you use this product? I'd like to read about it.

I have decided to run a car with oil in the Mid America race this year. What I have found is there are several oils recommended for Pinewood Derby cars. Their prices range from $39.95 down to $19.95 for Krytox GPL 100. Krytox has been around for a long time so I think I'll go with that. I see it is recommended a single drop of oil is applied to the axle.
Sleestak
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Sleestak »

Speedster wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:11 am I'm curious. Did someone on Derbytalk recommend you use this product? I'd like to read about it.

I have decided to run a car with oil in the Mid America race this year. What I have found is there are several oils recommended for Pinewood Derby cars. Their prices range from $39.95 down to $19.95 for Krytox GPL 100. Krytox has been around for a long time so I think I'll go with that. I see it is recommended a single drop of oil is applied to the axle.
Not here speedster. on the other forum pinewood derby online they said duport chain saver and max pro are similar to jig a loo
Sleestak
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Sleestak »

whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Sleestak wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:37 am -Wheel prep with novus2 scratch remover. How long do I spin with ducktapped drill a craft store pointed q-tip in each wheel hub? How many seconds?

As for cleaning the novus2 out. I have wayer obviously. I also have a very high proof alcohol in a spray bottle from CVS. Would this be a good step to get the water out. Then followed with air in a can to blow out alcohol. My only concern is the alcohol save for the plastic tires?

? #1 with a q tip steam & novus2 polish .. ( Do not duck tape the trigger down on the drill !)
Because you'll need to run the drill on a very slow speed.. to turn the q tip in the wheel bore slow ..Run the q tip shaft in and out wheel bore 2 times.. and be done.
If your using a Tamaya spear .. you don't want to heat up your wheel bore with the polish. so 15 to 20 seconds should do .. while turning the drill at medium speed.

? #2: CVS 91% Alcohol .. you can soak or dip the wheels in it and be fine while cleaning the wheels/ bores & hubs.
To remove the novus2.. you can dip a fluffy pipe cleaner or a Tamaya spear in the alcohol and run the bore with them by hand a few times..( no Drill needed!)
a soft bristle tooth brush with the alcohol works goods for clean polish off the hubs and down inside the wheel crevices.. then blow the wheel bores out.. and dry the wheels with air .

Best of luck Sleestak.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Sleestak
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Sleestak »

whodathunkit wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:43 pm
Sleestak wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:37 am -Wheel prep with novus2 scratch remover. How long do I spin with ducktapped drill a craft store pointed q-tip in each wheel hub? How many seconds?

? #1 with a q tip steam & novus2 polish .. ( Do not duck tape the trigger down on the drill !)
Because you'll need to run the drill on a very slow speed.. to turn the q tip in the wheel bore slow ..Run the q tip shaft in and out wheel bore 2 times.. and be done.
If your using a Tamaya spear .. you don't want to heat up your wheel bore with the polish. so 15 to 20 seconds should do .. while turning the drill at medium speed.

? #2: CVS 91% Alcohol .. you can soak or dip the wheels in it and be fine while cleaning the wheels/ bores & hubs.
To remove the novus2.. you can dip a fluffy pipe cleaner or a Tamaya spear in the alcohol and run the bore with them by hand a few times..( no Drill needed!)
a soft bristle tooth brush with the alcohol works goods for clean polish off the hubs and down inside the wheel crevices.. then blow the wheel bores out.. and dry the wheels with air .

Best of luck Sleestak.
Oh no I duct taped the drill trigger ontill is just started to spin. Maybe a bit faster. It was going slower than medium.