Tips and tricks for storing sized axles

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Tips and tricks for storing sized axles

Post by whodathunkit »

Hi guys! It's been awhile so I thought I'd share some tips and tricks that I use while sizing and storing my Pinewood Derby axles.
If you're anything like me, while working through a rather large pile of axles, they seem to always end up on the floor.
In the image you'll see my pile of axles and a piece of foam, corrugated card board and a zip lock bag.

I like to use the foam to keep all the axles together, to keep them from rolling off the work table when grabbing for them.

Here's the image of the corrugated card board that I like using for storing the different sized axles in. Plus I'm able to mark the diameter sizes on the card board.

This is how I like to store my different sized axles and keep them all together and ready for next year's season.
Hope this gives you some ideas on how you can store your Pinewood Derby axles.

Whoda
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Tips and tricks for storing sized axles

Post by FatSebastian »

whodathunkit wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:01 pmThis is how I like to store my different sized axles and keep them all together...
Corrugated cardboard is how we always stored our numbered drill bits, and pin gages, for PWD purposes. But it never occurred to me to collect axles this way too.

IIRC it requires a thinner-than-usual corrugated cardboard.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Tips and tricks for storing sized axles

Post by whodathunkit »

Yep the smaller size card board seems to hold them best.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?