1932 Ford Model B Pickup Truck - 3D Printed

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

1932 Ford Model B Pickup Truck - 3D Printed

Post by gpraceman »

For those of you with a 3D printer, this looks like a good project.

3D Files - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5538884

Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: 1932 Ford Model B Pickup Truck - 3D Printed

Post by whodathunkit »

Randy,
I wish I had a 3d printer..
Maybe if I've been really good this year Santa will put one under the tree! :eager:

That's one good looking 3d printed 1932 Ford Derby Truck I like how the front fenders are full in shape as well
I wounder if he also printed out the hubcaps to cover the Pinecar Derby mag wheels .. sure looks like it! ( but the wheels shown in the image are just for show per the link.)
Bummer I really like the hubcap look!

That thing looks better then my all wooden 1928 Ford Truck Muscle Machine build.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

If you go to the "Thing Files" link for that model, you can see all of the part files. There is a STL file for a hub cap. Not sure that will work with a Pinewood Derby kit wheel, as is, but could be modified to do so. You would just need some design software, like Tinkercad to tweak the design.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Not to go off topic here..
but not only dose he have the 1932 Ford.. But a 3d printed 1955 Chevrolet 3100 as well WOW!
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5513411

I don't recall the 1955 Chevrolet 3100 trucks in this first body style.. having the 5 bars in the front grill..( :idk: Maybe they did .)
I think the front grill changed to a 3 bar with bullet nose style in 1954 along with a solid windshield.
Growing up while I was in Hi School I had 3 Chevrolet 3100 Trucks a 1947 a 1951 and a 1953.. my very first truck was the 1951.
All 3 trucks had the split window windshield and the 5 bar grills.. wish I still had all 3 trucks now.
Anyway Here's a link to a First series 1955 Chevrolet 3100 body style.. showing the Bullet nose grill.
http://www.classiccarstudio.com/invento ... kup-Truck/

I can only imagine trying to figure out the computer programing for a 3d printer to print these trucks out!

For anyone wanting to make one out of wood ?
Like I did back in 2011 for this 1954 Chevrolet 3100.. man was this truck build ever fun trying to figure out how to piece together back then.
Having the blank pattern in the Troy Thorne and David Meade.. pattern books really helped me.. to draw a pattern of the Chevrolet truck out for the build .
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Whodathunkit, Glad you posted up a picture of your first build. I was going to respond right away, but I couldn't find a picture. Then I got side tracked and didn't get back till today.
So, first things first the files so far are not for pinewood derby cars. They could be modified to work. But, most of the time modifying someone else's (often locked) files is a lot of work.

Sure, once you have a file that prints clean, the way one want, you can print as many as you like. But, 3D printing takes a lot of time, material and patience. In general, it is unlikely you will be able to print a 3D printed car that will beat the same car in wood.

It certainly takes a different set of skills and equipment. If you decide to paint you will also have many things to learn. If you don't design to mount on a wood block (or use wood axle spars) you will learn it is very difficult to get the holes right.

In the end, it is unlikely that one will be able to create a work of art like you do Whoda. I've been working on a super cool hot rod limo since you and I dreamed up the Big Rig Class C. It has super cool details and a totally unique look. But, with my printer(s) and material a lot of the detil is lost in a 7" car. And, first run weighed in at 110g. It has to be lightened a lot or it will not be competitive.

That being said, should you or others decide to venture into the 3D printed 3D Pinewood Derby racing arena there is a class - just for them - at http://www.TheWestCoastGrandPrix.com
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Eagle wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:30 pm Whodathunkit, Glad you posted up a picture of your first build. I was going to respond right away, but I couldn't find a picture.
Eagle the two trucks I've posted above.. were not of my very first pinewood derby car / truck build.

I still have the very first derby truck that I made back in 2007 that was modeled after a 1929 Ford.. at the time I built it I had no pattern at all .. it was built just how I envisioned it to look!
Today the truck is rough for ware and somewhat dusty as I leave it on a display shelf in the shop to age gracefully and get that cool patina look as it were built years ago .

But if you must see the first real automobile I had and drove while I was in Hi School.. I guess I could dig in my scrap books to find a few pics of it.
1951 Chevrolet 3100 1/2 ton the motor was replaced with a 235 6 cyl out of a 1954 model with a 5 speed tranny. in closed torque tube drive line.
In one of the pics with the front clip off the truck .. I was up dating it to have power steering it turned out working really well in the end.

I don't know what it is about these classic trucks .. I Guess it's the memories of owning a few of them and working on them and driving them I liked the most about them.

Eagle, I know what your saying about about files and improving them for 3d printer work to make things fit.
Right now I'm working a friend that dose 3d printing on the side. to print these two trucks out. we started on the 1932 ford truck printing today .
Cant wait to put these two classic trucks together soon.