Email Notifications for Inactive Members

Forum news and general announcements.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Email Notifications for Inactive Members

Post by gpraceman »

I've turned off new post and new thread email notifications for members that have been inactive for more than 3 years. So, if you are still managing to monitor Derby Talk, but are not signing in, then you will not be seeing these email notifications unless you sign back into the board and re-opt into those.

The reason I took this action is that it seems that members that have moved on to other things and still receive notices from the site are not unsubscribing from the notices. Instead, it seems that some are just marking them as spam in their email program. That might be easier to get the emails to stop showing up in their inbox, but it actually causes a problem for other members. If enough people flag messages from this site as spam, their email provider can then start blocking emails from the site due to too many "user complaints". Then no one else with that same email provider can get messages from the site. Then I have to fill out a form with the email provider to basically beg for them to start allowing emails from this site again. That takes a few days.

If you don't want to get email notifications from the site any longer, you can do the following:

1. Go to your User Profile
2. Select "Board Preferences"
3. Select "Edit notification options"
4. Uncheck the Email box for any category that you don't want to get notifications for.

Or you can simply send me an email or PM and ask me to make your account inactive.

If this problem continues, I may end up reducing the inactive time to something like 2 years or even 1 year of being inactive.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.