Church to borrow the Pack track for derby race

General track discussions.
tmbnorm
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Church to borrow the Pack track for derby race

Post by tmbnorm »

A local church is having a derby race with their Royal Ambassadors.
This church is not the Cub Scout Pack sponsor, but many of the Scouts are members in this church (including me).

They would like to borrow Cub Scout Pack track. I have no problem with it, but I only a den leader, not the Pack Master.

I would be happy to help them run the races. Any Derby race is fun to watch.

Has anyone had this type of thing before? Should we ask for a small donation for providing the track and timer?

Any input is appreciated.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Church to borrow the Pack track for derby race

Post by Stan Pope »

It is always good to have some "favors outstanding" with local organizations ... you never know when you may need some help. :)

You would want one or more of your knowledgable people there at least for assembly and disassembly, since those are the times that parts loss and damage would most likely occur.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
tmbnorm
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by tmbnorm »

I would be there for assembly and disassembly (along with anyone else who volunteers).

I would also run the timer.

This could also be a good recruiting tool to get future scouts.
You are correct about using some favors. We were able to use the high school gym this year for our races. If we can not use it next year, then we might need to "borrow" the church fellowship hall.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Stan Pope wrote:You would want one or more of your knowledgable people there at least for assembly and disassembly, since those are the times that parts loss and damage would most likely occur.
I would definitely agree with that. It is always good to have someone there to watch over the investment. Helping out another group with their race is also fun.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

In general I agree with the above replies.

But people being people, let me offer a few cautions.

1) Think about conditions you would want met in order for any organization to "borrow" the track:

One or more "approved / knowledgeable" people present, esp. for assembly / disassembly.

Expected behavioral rules for participants (i.e. no kids jumping back and forth across track, etc.).

Permitted activities in same area with track (i.e. eating, selling food, crafts or painting, etc. which would place track at risk for spills, etc.).

Track delivery, pick up, storage arrangements.

2) Think long term i.e. would you be willing to repeat this effort for this particular group in the future. You might want to consider identifying a nominal fee for regular track usage, but stipulate that (assuming approval from Pack Committee) you would waive that fee for this year. Future years would be considered at that time, and be dependent on funding, knowledgeable volunteer and track availability, etc..

3) Same issue as 2), but for other groups. Basic law of Economics - price is free, demand skyrockets. How would you treat the next group that "came along" and asked for the same treatment.

It sounds like an excellent idea to me for you to support the Church group in this way. But don't take it for granted that those folks are experienced with PWD and place the same value that you do on the equipment and on your volunteer's time. It is easy for a "one time" issue to lead to a sense of entitlement and future hard feelings if you don't think things through.

Learned a few of these lessons the hard way, mostly with other non-PWD issues.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
DerbyAddict
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddict »

We are going to do this for the first time this year. We are helping a Pack that is just starting out.
Go Bubba Go wrote:
One or more "approved / knowledgeable" people present, esp. for assembly / disassembly.

Expected behavioral rules for participants (i.e. no kids jumping back and forth across track, etc.).
Very important. They need to know upfront what will be tolerated. Also some kind of agreement of who would pay for any damage that is a direct result of the group's behavior.
Go Bubba Go wrote: 2) Think long term i.e. would you be willing to repeat this effort for this particular group in the future. You might want to consider identifying a nominal fee for regular track usage, but stipulate that (assuming approval from Pack Committee) you would waive that fee for this year. Future years would be considered at that time, and be dependent on funding, knowledgeable volunteer and track availability, etc..

3) Same issue as 2), but for other groups. Basic law of Economics - price is free, demand skyrockets. How would you treat the next group that "came along" and asked for the same treatment.
Our committee came up with this and it seems to be a good solution. We will help any group the first year for free. They then have a whole year to either build one or raise the money to buy one. After that there will be a $75 fee for the use. This is told upfront so there is no "future expectation" of getting to use the track for free.

In addition, while we will be providing 2 people to setup, breakdown and help run the race, they need to have volunteers to help run things. This way they learn what it takes to run a PWD and can be ready for next year.
Richard Sava
Cubmaster, Pack 241
Deltona, FL
Any day racing PWD is a good day but winning makes a better good day!
tmbnorm
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by tmbnorm »

There would be rules and the track would be off limits. We had
barriers set up at our pack races to keep people away from the track.

I have seen pics of kids basically leaning over the track as the cars run.
I know this is fun for the boys, but it is dangerous for the track.

I will have to discuss the event with the Pack Master and dertemine how this will be handled.

We do not want the whole community expecting to use the track for free.
My time (and the time of others who help) is valuable. We are all very busy and we can not be expected to help everyweekend.

The track, track case, timer, timer case and software are a pretty sizeable investment. We are not looking to make money off of it, but we need some payback for offering this service.
GILLS
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GILLS »

tmbnorm
Here is another angle for you to evaluate: since you are a member of the church and an RA Leader, check with your pastor about regulations and policies concerning use of the church fellowship hall.
1. Is the use restricted to church events, weddings, or is a cub scout group allowed?
2. Is there a fee for the usage along with a deposit?
3. Is there a church administrator or security person that is required to be there while the event is taking place, and is there a fee to be paid to that person?
We have policies regarding the uses of our church facilities and we have reasonable fees associated with each type of event. If the answer to these questions from your church is yes there would be fees to be charged, than I think you would have legitiment cause to charge them a rental fee for your track and timer. :D :D
tmbnorm
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by tmbnorm »

Church A sponsors the cub Scouts. I am a den leader in the scouts.
Church B wants to use the track for its RAs race.
I am also a member of church B.

I am not an RA leader, but a scout den leader.

You are correct that there are restriction on using the fellowship hall.
This event is for the church RAs. I know the RA leader well.

There would be no fee for church B to hold its races in its fellowship hall.

I am sorry if I was confusing.