Cleaning the track

General track discussions.
rlaton
Pine Head
Pine Head

Cleaning the track

Post by rlaton »

We have a Piandosi aluminum track (Non coated). We have never run an official race on it but we will this Wed. night. What is the best thing to clean it with? Thanks.
ichiban
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Cleaning the track

Post by ichiban »

Simple Green, 409, or just plain water has been used by other track owners.

Try this thread for more information...
http://derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=3174
Grubartez
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Grubartez »

Simple green is what I use. Works fine.
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

I am sure that this is a bad idea, but I need ammo to try to dissuade the track keepers . . . Why is using Pledge on the track a bad idea? Yes, Pledge furniture polish.
ichiban
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ichiban »

I think most if not all furniture polish leaves a film that makes the material shine. Aside from using Pledge on wood, I've seen it used on Radio Controlled car lexan bodies; it looks great!

In racing you dont want to introduce a residue onto the racing surface unless you know what to expect and it will be fair to all the racers. If the residue provides less traction, rail riders may have an advantage. If it provides more traction, they may be at a disadvantage.

A side note on Simple Green. It's interesting to me to hear people using SG on their aluminum tracks. Back when I raced RC cars in parking lots, some racers used SG on their tires for more traction. I tried it and I did not like it; while it helped plant the car, tire characteristics were lost resulting in a loss in performance.

In PWD racing, SG may be providing a nice residue for the wheels to grab instead of slip. It's interesting to note, the use of wheel additives and track surface coatings seems explored very little! (And you thought this was going to be just another thread on track cleaning.)
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

You are of course correct as regards track surface films. Surprising that the track manufacter would recommend such.
On the issue of wheel coatings ect., I think you will find considerable debate on the issue if you search. I recall quite a bit of info, from graphite on tread to high gloss plastic polish. We prefer to do nothing, just a good rub with a cotton cloth or paper towel.