Alignment

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Alignment

Post by Speedster »

A Team, who had recently taken 2nd place in their Pack race, brought their car to me with a question. Why did we lose? They had a simple Silver colored wedge,3 wheeler, lathed wheels, good looking BSA nails which I learned later, extended wheelbase, COM 1" in front of rear axle slot. We took the car to the Best track and raced it against my Red car. My timer is set at 30' when it's installed. After 30' the Silver car's nose was about 1" behind the back of the Red car. We found the rear wheels both had toe=in and the Front wheel was aligned to run straight. The car ran down the test board perfectly straight. I set all the nails with 1 degree cant, (rules) aligned the rears with Negative cant and the front with Positive cant and toe-in. The drift was set for 2" in 3 1/2 feet which is what I set all my cars at.
The cars were taken back to the track and the Silver car's front was now only 1" behind the Red car's Front. This could have been accomplished without the use of a track. I did not hook up the timer because it's too cold to do so. Simple tuning can pay Positive results.