Big Dreams for a Big Rig - but smaller

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
mclewis_13
Journeyman
Journeyman

Big Dreams for a Big Rig - but smaller

Post by mclewis_13 »

This is my inspiration for my second AWANA Grand Prix I’ve ever built. Plan is to take the given block from the kit and slice it down to 3/8”. That will be the base of it. I plan on hollowing it out with 3-4 cross members for rigidity and pockets for the tungsten weights I will be installing.

I purchased a 3x3x12 piece of balsa wood which I will whittle down to be the cab. Hollowing it almost completely out so it is more a shell than anything. It will go over the wheels to give it that sleek tucked in look. 1/32 plywood will be used for sheeting on the bottom/top of the frame and the back of the cab.

I got some 1/8” balsa dowels to do the down tubing and the wing support section. The wing will be made out of Balsa from the block used to make the cab.

After saying all that, my skill set and my desire are not exactly on the same level but I have 4 months to get it built. And a forum of speedy woodworking geniuses at my disposal.

I’ll keep you updated on progress.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Big Dreams for a Big Rig - but smaller

Post by Darin McGrew »

mclewis_13 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:22 pmI purchased a 3x3x12 piece of balsa wood which I will whittle down to be the cab. Hollowing it almost completely out so it is more a shell than anything.
When I've built cars like that, I've avoided all that carving by building a balsa or basswood box. Where the corners are rounded, I first reinforce the corners with solid square or triangular pieces, and then sand the corner to round it off. Depending on how thin the sides are and how rounded the corners are, I may sand completely through the sides, so each is connected to the reinforcing pieces, but the sides aren't connected to each other any more. Like this:

Code: Select all

Before                      After
 _ ________________                 ___________
| |________________                /___________
| |      /                       /   /
| |    /                       /   /
| |  /                       /|  /
| |/                        | |/
| |                         | |
mclewis_13
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by mclewis_13 »

When I've built cars like that, I've avoided all that carving by building a balsa or basswood box. Where the corners are rounded, I first reinforce the corners with solid square or triangular pieces, and then sand the corner to round it off.
That seems like more work? I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to wood working so I’ll take your word for it. What do you suggest 1/4” sheets?

Looking at the picture how many boxes would you make? Cab, hood, and fenders?

I am very eager to learn.

Thanks
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

mclewis_13 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:26 amThat seems like more work? I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to wood working so I’ll take your word for it. What do you suggest 1/4” sheets?
I usually find it easier to build hollow boxes than to carve them. Actually, I've found it easier to build other shapes rather than to carve them.

And I generally use 1/8 inch basswood. I have a bag of basswood scraps that I bought from a hobby shop years ago, which provides the pieces I use to reinforce corners. I've used up the flat pieces from that bag, so I buy a piece every now and then.
mclewis_13 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:26 amLooking at the picture how many boxes would you make? Cab, hood, and fenders?
I'd probably build one box for the cab, and another box for the hood. The fenders can be solid pieces sanded to shape.

In this case, I'd mainly be trying to avoid removing most of the inside of a block of wood by hand. If I'm going to end up with a hollow box, then I'd rather build it than carve it. Details on the sides of that box can be solid.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

:welcome: mclewis_13!
I like your truck idea

And I'm with Darin on the open box for cabs.

It's been a while since iv posted pics here.. and all the pics of the rigs i have made and posted here using tiny pic are all gone now!

I like to build the cabs for the Big Rigs I make in this manner for open box style/ type cabs.

( However this is your truck build and up to you on how you go about building the cab for your Big Rig.)

If these pic's can be of some inspiration to you on how to go about building truck cabs .. then I'm all for sharing how I go about making open cabs.

I start off using 1/8'' Baltic birch plywood for making the cab doors ,cab back, and a floor if needed. ( the cutting is all done on a scroll saw.)

image's showing the pieces:
Cab top is made out of pine:
And cab front can be shaped:
Note the notches are cut out .. this is to make the cab shape more triangular in the front.
Windshield post:
Clear plastic for the Windshield and door glass:
The cab on the frame:
A look inside the cab:
And what it turned out like:

You can do this if you put your mind to it.. Best of luck: mclewis_13
Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

As long as you scale the motor so the HP is equivalent to the original you shouldn't have any problems in the speed portion. Looking forward to seeing the progress on this build.
mclewis_13
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by mclewis_13 »

Whoda- Holy Smokes the paint job on that! Amazing.

This isn’t going to be a full size rig so I want to use Balsa to maximize the amount of COG weights from tungsten. This will be on a standard pinewood/Grand Prix wheelbase. I am able to relocate axles but the max dimensions iirc is 7” long x 3” tall x 2.75” wide.

Your photos are a great help. How did you do the hood?
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Based on picture of full scale truck - I would say if you place your rear axles 5/8" from the back of the block and then measure 4 3/4" from that line to your front axle line you should be pretty close for looks and have a desirable wheelbase for racing.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

mclewis_13 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:10 pm Whoda- Holy Smokes the paint job on that! Amazing.

This isn’t going to be a full size rig so I want to use Balsa to maximize the amount of COG weights from tungsten. This will be on a standard pinewood/Grand Prix wheelbase. I am able to relocate axles but the max dimensions iirc is 7” long x 3” tall x 2.75” wide.

Your photos are a great help. How did you do the hood?
Mclewis_13
You can use a balsa block for your hood if you like!
The first 18 wheeler big rig kits used balsa in the kit for the hood and cab.. on a 1 3/4'' wide by 7 inch long frame.
Pics of what the rigs looked like..

Edit:
The next big rig kit type that came out in 2009 used all pine and no balsa for there cabs.. the trailer was made using the cardboard box.

The hood for the trucks that I make from scratch lumbers are made from pine or the B.S.A. pwd car kit blocks most of the time.
However it's not hollowed out.. sometime i will hollow the hoods as well.
This hood block sets down on a 3/8'' thick by 1 3/4" wide frame in between the front fenders and is glued down.
The hood was shaped and then i cut some off the front to make a grill.. I used craft sticks and cut notches to inset the grill bars in with glue.
This pic will show the frame and truck cab.

Here is a pick of a different truck build where iv hollowed out the hood.
The radiator grill:
The truck build was Tyrone Malone's Super Boss truck with wing and Willie bars.
The truck was built from pine and Baltic birch ply wood. .. it's 10 1/2'' long however.
My home made pattern for holding the wing:

Hope this helps you out in some way.. and hope to see your truck build pic's soon!
Last edited by whodathunkit on Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

mclewis_13, please let me share some information that I hope will be of interest to you.
First, Whoda is a Master of posting pictures on Derbytalk. If we can get him to show us some of the pictures of trucks he has built you will notice the front wheels of the trucks are very close to the front of the truck. Are you using the Boy Scout BSA kit? The position of the front wheels is critical as I move to my second point.

Second: I urge you to go to the "Mid America Pinewood Derby" and read about the "Class B" truck racing. The race is held each year around the 1st of May.
Your truck will very easily be able to be converted to a "Class B" racer and then you can mail your truck to the race and come and help me try to beat Whoda.
Give it some thought. Two different races using basically the same truck.
I wish you the Best.
Bill

Whoda, your pictures are no longer available under car and truck photos.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Speedster wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:03 am mclewis_13, please let me share some information that I hope will be of interest to you.
First, Whoda is a Master of posting pictures on Derbytalk. If we can get him to show us some of the pictures of trucks he has built you will notice the front wheels of the trucks are very close to the front of the truck. Are you using the Boy Scout BSA kit? The position of the front wheels is critical as I move to my second point.

Second: I urge you to go to the "Mid America Pinewood Derby" and read about the "Class B" truck racing. The race is held each year around the 1st of May.
Your truck will very easily be able to be converted to a "Class B" racer and then you can mail your truck to the race and come and help me try to beat Whoda.
Give it some thought. Two different races using basically the same truck.
I wish you the Best.
Bill

Whoda, your pictures are no longer available under car and truck photos.
Thanks Speedster .. Guess i could post a few pic's of some truck builds over the years.
Tiny pic has shut down.. so yes i know all the pics are no longer available in the topics.

mclewis_13
When i first started talking here on Derby Talk .. my pic's were way over size I had some help from member's Fat Sebastian how to post them and Randy on how to resize them.
Funny that Bill.. AKA Speedster would say that I'm a Master at posting pic's!
I just had some good help back then.. on how to post them here and how to have them re sized down to 640 x 640 that's all.

Any how mclewis_13
per Request of Speedster.
Here is a pic of my very 2nd scratch built truck to build with out a kit.. plus this photo was one of my first pic's to post when i first started here on Derby Talk.
At that time my pics were way over size for viewing.

The next pic is of the very first big rig i made using scratch lumbers it was built based off the first 18 wheeler big rig kit.
The truck by it' self is 7 in long in the pic below.

Convoy's Rubber Duck truck was build off a photo and pattern that drew out of it.

This Rat Rod Rig build was inspired just by a truck model photo:

This was one of my semi truck design concepts.. using Space walker's Nellie Faye fenders that he designed in memory of his mother.
This truck build was Bill's Favorite design!

I used this same concept design for my Bob cat rig build that can be seen under this topic:
https://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8724

The longer truck i shared pics of in my earlier postings were of a class B rig I built and raced in the 2nd or 3rd Mid America class B rig race.
I called that rig plum crazy. .Most all of my builds start off with a side view of a pattern that I draw out.. or of a photo or model of one!
From there I build them.. sometime's changing up things i build them.

Some of the builds for the very first Mid America 18 wheeler and Class B Truck race.
1940's Buddy L toy semi truck:
The wife's vintage truck build.. Pink Piano.
And my Class B Rig Blue Sonic:
These 3 rigs were raced in the very first Mid America Big Rig Race back in 2015 . I had the only class b rig running that year as well.
video of the racing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2FY1f7T-hI

Anyhow Bill is right.. Racing the Big Rig 18 Wheeler's and the Class B Rig 's are a blast at Mid America!
I even raced the Tyrone Malone Super Boss truck there.
There Rule set can be found here:
http://www.mid-americaderby.com/home/bi ... semi-rules

Best of luck with your Awana's Truck Build !
Last edited by whodathunkit on Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

WOW! Thanks for all the info, Whoda. That should get him FIRED UP!
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Your welcome Speedster!

Well i don't know about you Bill.. But mclewis_13 pic of the truck he is wanting to build has me all fired up! (Wanting to build this rig.)
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Speedster - I'm not sure if you heard but I'm putting together an event to lead into Mid America. You can get preliminary info at http://www.TheWestCoastGrandPrix.com. I sent you an email, but I never heard back.

Whoda and I are working on a vintage class. And, I think it would be cool to run the Big Rigs. What say you?
For sure?
Interested, but not sure?
Let me know here and/or email.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Whoda, I can see I don't have a chance on looks - again. So, I'll stay focused on what creative things I can come up with to gain some speed.

Thanks for the pics. Seem like every time you dig into the archives you dig up a rig I haven't seen!