Big Dreams for a Big Rig - but smaller

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
mclewis_13
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Big Dreams for a Big Rig - but smaller

Post by mclewis_13 »

So I finally got to run my truck and our AWANA Grand Prix! 2 Years in the making! Final results of my big rig dream, along with the family line up and the results of my race.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

BEAUTIFUL WORK!
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Cool!
Any pics of how you pulled off the designs in the paint?

Any of the fleet going to be making an appearance at http://www.TheWestCoastGrandPrix.com ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mclewis_13
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by mclewis_13 »

Eagle wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:43 am Any pics of how you pulled off the designs in the paint?
My wife did the paint job. I'll get her to explain it to me so I can relay it. I do know it is a chameleon paint job which requires a black base coat. And she used stencils on a separate layer in a different direction so that it would render a different color as you look at it. She also finished it off with a High Gloss finishing Coat.
Eagle wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:43 am Any of the fleet going to be making an appearance at http://www.TheWestCoastGrandPrix.com ?
You guys require BSA wheels and I dont own any of those. Would need to make purchases. What is the length on the track you are running in the video? I think the one we have is 31'.
Perry The Platypus - Built by the 11 YO - 2nd in Division
Yellow Streak - Built by the 13 YO - 1st in division - 4th overall
Red Floss - Built by the 9 YO - 1st in Division - 2nd Overall
Tick Tock Croc - Built by the wife for fun (for the 3 YO) - Took the kids cham1st in Division -Grand Champion
Up House - Built for the wife for fun - Took 3rd in adult Racing

The entire fleet was only separated by .07 seconds from mine to the wife's (she ran a 2.50)
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Yes - BSA wheels for current classes. Haven't had enough interest to run a class with Awana rules and/or wheels.

The track is a 42' Best Track.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

mclewis, I'm curious and have a few questions. Do you have a picture of the track?

Do you race on an aluminum track called a "Best" track?
Here is the distance between the start pin and the timer if the holes were punched by Best track.
35' track- 29'10"
42' track-36'10"

What's the name of the timer on your track?

Even if your truck ran 29'10" on a Best track, the time of 2.4352 is very Fast. Congratulations for that.

Eagle is using the rules from the Mid America race and they are very lenient. I'm fairly certain your truck is legal except for the wheels.
Maybe we can get Eagle to run your truck down the track with the Awana wheels to see what time it turns. I suspect they do some test runs after they set up the track. I would be very interested to learn what time it turns running 36'10" on a Best track.

Your team has Beautiful cars.
mclewis_13
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by mclewis_13 »

Speedster wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:32 am mclewis, I'm curious and have a few questions. Do you have a picture of the track?

Do you race on an aluminum track called a "Best" track?
Here is the distance between the start pin and the timer if the holes were punched by Best track.
35' track- 29'10"
42' track-36'10"

What's the name of the timer on your track?

Even if your truck ran 29'10" on a Best track, the time of 2.4352 is very Fast. Congratulations for that.

Eagle is using the rules from the Mid America race and they are very lenient. I'm fairly certain your truck is legal except for the wheels.
Maybe we can get Eagle to run your truck down the track with the Awana wheels to see what time it turns. I suspect they do some test runs after they set up the track. I would be very interested to learn what time it turns running 36'10" on a Best track.

Your team has Beautiful cars.
Track - Purchased from Microwizard LLC - Anodized Freedom Aluminum Track - 4 Lanes 32 FT
Timer - Grand Prix Package with K2 Timer.

This was the first time ever using the track and the associated GrandPrix Race Manager Software. The kids were amazed with how it all interacted and worked. A ton of brand new track records set for each of the divisions.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Thank you.
That's a Beautiful track, timer and software.

Here's a short story you might find interesting. Prior to Covid 19 our District used a 29'10" Best track for the 1st race. The top 8 cars would then move to a 40' Freedom track. Sometimes the 1st place car on the Best track would also take 1st place on the Freedom track, but Not Always. There's a whole lot of science changes when you change tracks. It was REALLY a lot of Fun to watch.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Mclewis_13.
I've been out of the pinewood derby scene for a good long while now since the covid out brake.. and life in general now or days.
Seen your post and just wanted to chime in and say grate job on you're Big Rig !
When things slow down and I can get back into building once more..
I'm going to start building truck cabs out of balsa as well after seeing the job you did with you're cab.

Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?